505 Basting Spray

Cat - N

I think someone in this group mentioned 505 basting spray...I 'think' in the context of trying to remove it from embroidery hoops. 

I have found myself in the position of feeling obligated to try to find an alternative basting spray, since there is apparently a 'new' (or at least 'different') 'version' of the spray I have been using for the past 6 or so years...the spray I really liked that doesn't gum needles may be a thing of the past because the retail store only had the kind that sounds like a paint can when you shake it and gums the needle enough to eventually start breaking thread.

So, out of the 3 options I had, I bought 2 cans of 505, and now I am wondering if 505 is really a 'temporary' and a 'repositional' spray that washes out?

I bought both Schmetz and Janome non-stick needles, but I'd prefer to use my regular needle for quilting these 4 quilts' ITH designs without also testing needles. 

Any advice or experience would be appreciated. 

- Cat (FL)

Lyn Quine

I have used 505, and sticky stabiliser, magic tape, painters tape, masking tape.  I don’t like any of them very much.  If the needle gets gummed up it will transfer it to the bobbin area.  What I use now is fusible wadding and or safety pins or a quilt gun.  My preferred choice is quilt gun, the tags are small and plastic, don’t break needles, and if you use the gun like a pin, go in and out on the top if you want to remove the tag whilst you’re sewing little bits of plastic don’t drop down into the machine.  The tags done this way also hold the layers together closer than just ‘shooting it through.

On 4 Nov 2021, at 12:52, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

I think someone in this group mentioned 505 basting spray...I 'think' in the context of trying to remove it from embroidery hoops. 

I have found myself in the position of feeling obligated to try to find an alternative basting spray, since there is apparently a 'new' (or at least 'different') 'version' of the spray I have been using for the past 6 or so years...the spray I really liked that doesn't gum needles may be a thing of the past because the retail store only had the kind that sounds like a paint can when you shake it and gums the needle enough to eventually start breaking thread.

So, out of the 3 options I had, I bought 2 cans of 505, and now I am wondering if 505 is really a 'temporary' and a 'repositional' spray that washes out?

I bought both Schmetz and Janome non-stick needles, but I'd prefer to use my regular needle for quilting these 4 quilts' ITH designs without also testing needles. 

- Cat (FL)

Ceil J

I have allergies and live in a colder climate so the basting sprays are often not an option (even with an N95 mask on).  Plus those little particles do get around and I had a can of the stuff malfunction and that was a complete mess.  Luckily I was in the basement at the time. 
I have tried pin basting and that's hard on my fingers and have a quilt gun which works well but can be a problem if you don't get the little plastic parts perfect. 
What I really, really like is thread basting.  I saw one of Diane's videos with a thread basted quilt and thought it looked like a crazy idea.  Then I looked it up and gave it a try.  It was much easier and faster than other methods, except the sprays.  I use a thimble, of course, a pop into the top needle and 30 wt thread.  I love this method.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:
I have used 505, and sticky stabiliser, magic tape, painters tape, masking tape.  I don’t like any of them very much.  If the needle gets gummed up it will transfer it to the bobbin area.  What I use now is fusible wadding and or safety pins or a quilt gun.  My preferred choice is quilt gun, the tags are small and plastic, don’t break needles, and if you use the gun like a pin, go in and out on the top if you want to remove the tag whilst you’re sewing little bits of plastic don’t drop down into the machine.  The tags done this way also hold the layers together closer than just ‘shooting it through.

On 4 Nov 2021, at 12:52, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Lyn Quine

Unfortunately I can’t hold a needle for very long, arthritis in my thumb joints, I’m losing the pinch, I’m quite clumsy these days, difficulty picking up small things, bobbins take on a life of their own and fly out of my hands 😂.   On small pieces I have used the free motion foot and tack across the mini quilts that works, but of course on bigger projects you have to securely.

On 4 Nov 2021, at 13:14, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

I have allergies and live in a colder climate so the basting sprays are often not an option (even with an N95 mask on).  Plus those little particles do get around and I had a can of the stuff malfunction and that was a complete mess.  Luckily I was in the basement at the time. 
I have tried pin basting and that's hard on my fingers and have a quilt gun which works well but can be a problem if you don't get the little plastic parts perfect. 
What I really, really like is thread basting.  I saw one of Diane's videos with a thread basted quilt and thought it looked like a crazy idea.  Then I looked it up and gave it a try.  It was much easier and faster than other methods, except the sprays.  I use a thimble, of course, a pop into the top needle and 30 wt thread.  I love this method.

I have used 505, and sticky stabiliser, magic tape, painters tape, masking tape.  I don’t like any of them very much.  If the needle gets gummed up it will transfer it to the bobbin area.  What I use now is fusible wadding and or safety pins or a quilt gun.  My preferred choice is quilt gun, the tags are small and plastic, don’t break needles, and if you use the gun like a pin, go in and out on the top if you want to remove the tag whilst you’re sewing little bits of plastic don’t drop down into the machine.  The tags done this way also hold the layers together closer than just ‘shooting it through.

On 4 Nov 2021, at 12:52, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Cat - N

When you used the 505 spray, did it wash out and did it gum the needle?

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Nov 4, 2021 at 9:55 AM, <Lyn Quine> wrote:

Unfortunately I can’t hold a needle for very long, arthritis in my thumb joints, I’m losing the pinch, I’m quite clumsy these days, difficulty picking up small things, bobbins take on a life of their own and fly out of my hands 😂.   On small pieces I have used the free motion foot and tack across the mini quilts that works, but of course on bigger projects you have to securely.

- Cat (FL)

Lyn Quine

Yes it washed out, I used it to float a tshirt I think, and it was only a light spray, away from the machine obviously, I think I used a cardboard box to help minimise the mist and keep in within the box and I did it outside which carries its own problems as in wind direction etc.   It didn’t gum the needle, but it may have picked up some without me realising, when finished I changed the needle.  A lot depends on how much you spray on, I’ve seen some people, at workshops, spray it with gay abandon, and others just a touch here and there.  I’ve also heard the horror stories of the problems and costs of over spraying and then servicing the machine.  I’m afraid, although I have a can upstairs in my sewing room, it will only ever be used as an absolute last resort.  

Whatever happens if using spray I would clean the needle regularly with a light spray of silicon on a cloth, not sprayed directly, and I’d use a new needle at the start of a new day, probably over the top, but It’s too late when you start seeing that tell tale loop of thread dropping off the needle, it’s already gummed up.  That’s the reason I stopped using the sticky stabiliser, it’s just repurposed shelf liner to me.

On 4 Nov 2021, at 14:43, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

When you used the 505 spray, did it wash out and did it gum the needle?

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Nov 4, 2021 at 9:55 AM, <Lyn Quine> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Kathy Skagen

I believe that was me, Cat. My dealer recommended 505 when I bought my MC10001 nearly 20 years ago, so there may be more options today. I have used it that long and never had any issues with the needles getting gummed up. The hoop does get some sticky residue on it after quite a few hoopings and that is why I was looking for a foolproof cleaner. But that could be my fault for not cleaning it more often! (Now that I actually think about it!) I have never had an issue with the glue washing out in garments and it is stickier if you spray more so I imagine that the reverse is true.
Kathy

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 07:52:28 AM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Kathy Skagen

Cat,
I forgot to mention that I always have sprayed 505 outside. I didn't want any of the overspray on my floors but I think Ceil's (I believe) idea to combat overspray was genius! By the way, I have always used the floating method of hooping. I'm not telling others to do that as I know that there are pitfalls and everyone has their methods. I'm just letting you know that in 20 years, I have used a LOT of 505!
:-)

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 12:13:28 PM CDT, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

I believe that was me, Cat. My dealer recommended 505 when I bought my MC10001 nearly 20 years ago, so there may be more options today. I have used it that long and never had any issues with the needles getting gummed up. The hoop does get some sticky residue on it after quite a few hoopings and that is why I was looking for a foolproof cleaner. But that could be my fault for not cleaning it more often! (Now that I actually think about it!) I have never had an issue with the glue washing out in garments and it is stickier if you spray more so I imagine that the reverse is true.
Kathy

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 07:52:28 AM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Ceil J

Kathy,
Not sure whose idea it was to combat overspraying but it, unfortunately, was not mine. 
:) Ceil

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:
Cat,
I forgot to mention that I always have sprayed 505 outside. I didn't want any of the overspray on my floors but I think Ceil's (I believe) idea to combat overspray was genius! By the way, I have always used the floating method of hooping. I'm not telling others to do that as I know that there are pitfalls and everyone has their methods. I'm just letting you know that in 20 years, I have used a LOT of 505!

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 12:13:28 PM CDT, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Kathy

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 07:52:28 AM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

wlstarn@aol.com

Another option is Bo-Nash powder, a.k.a.  Wonder Under in a salt shaker.  Sprinkle where you need the adhesive, and iron to make it permanent.  No fumes.

favymtz

It does wash out and no I’ve never had it gum up the needle. I’ve been using 505 for many years with no such problems!
 I always spray baste stabilizer onto the embroidery back if I don’t use a fusible stabilizer.

--
Favymtz

Kathy Skagen

Oops! I will have to go back and look through the posts. There was even a great photo and I want to make one.

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 12:47:57 PM CDT, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

Kathy,
Not sure whose idea it was to combat overspraying but it, unfortunately, was not mine. 

Cat,

Kathy

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 07:52:28 AM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Shirley Allen

On 11/4/2021 7:13 PM, favymtz wrote:
It does wash out and no I’ve never had it gum up the needle. I’ve been using 505 for many years with no such problems!
 I always spray baste stabilizer onto the embroidery back if I don’t use a fusible stabilizer.

--
Favymtz

To avoid over spray on your hoops spray through a empty plastic jug with the bottom cut out. A gallon jug works best. Shirley

Cat - N

Thank you.  I sandwiched 2 quilts today.  Might not get to quilt them until next week though, but I am very appreciative you shared your experience.  So hard to know...all advertising says exactly what you want to hear.  Blush

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 7:13 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 505 Basting Spray

--
Favymtz

Cat - N

Thank you, Kathy.  I am not overly concerned about overspray.  I have breathing issues for many, many years, so an extremely careful what I breathe, so, if inside, I spray inside a square tube made out of printer/copy paper.  I prefer to spray outdoors, of course, and I have basted a number of quilts outside, but in this case, I am sandwiching on a table with a ceiling fan overhead, which blows the overspray down into my square tube/shield (might be the photo I sent is one you saw...I took a 'live photo' today but not sure how to convert it to a gif animation) and back onto either the tube/shield sides or the quilt materials being sandwiched.  To be honest, it is very tempting to sandwich using the 12' long arm frame and just pin, remove the quilts, and cary them back to my 15000.  I haven't done that because I have well pressed backings and quilts hanging over the bars, and batting hanging there also so the center fold can relax.

My main concern was to be 'forewarned' if I need to just go ahead and put a non-stick/teflon needle into my machine to begin with, wipe the needle with dry silicon (and keep it handy to reapply), or if I need do nothing different than I have been doing when using 505 Spray.  Best advice is always from a current user of any product....or the techs that service them...but I am very disappointed in my previous spray, since the 'new' formulation is not as good as the previous one.

- Cat (FL)

To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 7:53 pm

Oops! I will have to go back and look through the posts. There was even a great photo and I want to make one.

Kathy,

Cat,

Kathy

- Cat (FL)

Cat - N

I have plenty of product that is permanent.  I do not like adhesives with fabric...came to dislike adhesives back in the early 1970's (? maybe late 1960's ?) when Stitch Witchery came out.  I disliked it so much for sewing purposes I still have some from the bolt and some spools of it.  LOL 

Temporary spray is okay under certain conditions, and my previous spray has changed formulations and now gums the needle, although it says it does not.  I will use some perma-bonding adhesives under certain conditions for certain purposes, and I have quite a few different adhesive products from which to choose already...including Wonder Under.  I am just really wanting, right now, to get 4 quilts off my 'to do' list...quilted and bound, and I have 5 bindings are already made and ready to go...1 is for a quilt I am not quilting right now but which is ready and will be long arm quilted later...but I wanted to quilt these 4 'sofa' quilts ITH on my 15000.  Technically, they can go on the long arm quilter...could have quilted 2 at once, actually...but I'd have to re-do my design and send it to the long arm robot to stitch out.

- Car (FL)

Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 12:17 pm

Another option is Bo-Nash powder, a.k.a.  Wonder Under in a salt shaker.  Sprinkle where you need the adhesive, and iron to make it permanent.  No fumes.

Cat - N

I just want to thank everyone who responded.  I know there are a lot of products, but I thought I had the product I liked, only to find out the product has changed and I'm not liking it so much anymore.  Also, I have limited retail resources in this area, and not inclined to travel to quilt shops at the moment to see what they are selling...I pick up my autistic grandson (5 years old) from autism therapy every day and take him home, so my schedule does not permit it anyway...plus I have 3 Yorkies and an amputee hubby, and I sometimes watch my baby granddaughter and grandson, or my baby great-granddaughter so I manage to stay a wee bit busy.  However, it looks like there are quilt shows coming up in Florida and I will attend at least some of them...woo hoo!!!

Thank you again for your responses and suggestions.  There is so much...who can keep track of it all...not me!

- Cat (FL)

Kathy Skagen

Cat,

Doesn't that always seem to be the way with the "new and improved" anything we used to love? "New and improved" is like the kiss of death and it always seems to happen the the things I really really like. Oh, well.

Yes! It was your idea I want to copy. Then I won't have to go outside to spray anymore either. :-)

I hope your quilting goes well. I don't think you will need to wipe the needle as you sew. I've never had even my regular Organ sewing needles get gummed up. You'll have to post a picture of your finished quilt. I admire you--that is so much work! But quilts do last for years. So, well worth it.
Kathy

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 08:59:11 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

Thank you, Kathy.  I am not overly concerned about overspray.  I have breathing issues for many, many years, so an extremely careful what I breathe, so, if inside, I spray inside a square tube made out of printer/copy paper.  I prefer to spray outdoors, of course, and I have basted a number of quilts outside, but in this case, I am sandwiching on a table with a ceiling fan overhead, which blows the overspray down into my square tube/shield (might be the photo I sent is one you saw...I took a 'live photo' today but not sure how to convert it to a gif animation) and back onto either the tube/shield sides or the quilt materials being sandwiched.  To be honest, it is very tempting to sandwich using the 12' long arm frame and just pin, remove the quilts, and cary them back to my 15000.  I haven't done that because I have well pressed backings and quilts hanging over the bars, and batting hanging there also so the center fold can relax.

My main concern was to be 'forewarned' if I need to just go ahead and put a non-stick/teflon needle into my machine to begin with, wipe the needle with dry silicon (and keep it handy to reapply), or if I need do nothing different than I have been doing when using 505 Spray.  Best advice is always from a current user of any product....or the techs that service them...but I am very disappointed in my previous spray, since the 'new' formulation is not as good as the previous one.

- Cat (FL)

Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 7:53 pm

Kathy,

Cat,

Kathy

- Cat (FL)

Cat - N

Ah...that's right...I remember.  To be honest, I had a vague recollection it was an older hoop but I have been so busy lately I actually forgot to schedule the monthly bills to pay...I NEVER forget THAT...so one was 3 days late but still in the 'grace' period, thankfully (we've had 'water well' problems and have replaced everything but pipes and the hole in the ground...replacing some pipes now AFTER major car repairs...like replacing the motor, starter, and ignition) but I have been frantically trying to get these 4 quilts finished.  I wanted the Halloween quilts done before Halloween, but that didn't happen...LOL  The other 2 quilts are from maybe as long ago as 2-3 years, with my hubby's hospital stay and amputation surgeries, etc., and baby granddaughter's open heart surgery, and great-ganddaughters hospital procedures on her leg, my badly sprained ankle...and...and...yep...it's been like that...but we're grateful...many have worse!

Thank you for the information, Kathy.  I appreciate it.

- Cat (FL)

Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 1:13 pm

Kathy

- Cat (FL)

Kathy Skagen

Wow, Cat! With all that as your normal daily routine, you totally need to go to a quilt show or two to treat yourself. Have a great time 

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 09:19:13 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

I just want to thank everyone who responded.  I know there are a lot of products, but I thought I had the product I liked, only to find out the product has changed and I'm not liking it so much anymore.  Also, I have limited retail resources in this area, and not inclined to travel to quilt shops at the moment to see what they are selling...I pick up my autistic grandson (5 years old) from autism therapy every day and take him home, so my schedule does not permit it anyway...plus I have 3 Yorkies and an amputee hubby, and I sometimes watch my baby granddaughter and grandson, or my baby great-granddaughter so I manage to stay a wee bit busy.  However, it looks like there are quilt shows coming up in Florida and I will attend at least some of them...woo hoo!!!

Thank you again for your responses and suggestions.  There is so much...who can keep track of it all...not me!

- Cat (FL)