500e Broken thread massage

Kathy Strabel

Good day to my fellow sewers/embroiderers-- Some time ago, I submitted a question about my 500e not stopping nor giving me a warning that a thread had broken, or just come out of the needle. I was even wondering if I was mixing up this function on my older embroidery machine of a different brand than Janome.  I recently had my 500e back in the shop and I mentioned this to the person at the desk doing the intake on my machine. She said she was not sure that the 500e even had such a feature. But I insisted that it did. Sure enough, after having to ask the desk person several times to add that to the list of work to be checked/done on my machine, we did discover that I had not actually lost my mind. The 500e DOES have a warning function associated with the upper thread sensor, and if you break a thread or it comes out of the needle, say when you are doing the first few stitches of a color block, the machine does, indeed stop and tell me that there is a thread error and I need to re-thread. There is even an illustration on the screen showing a broken thread. So, if you should happen to walk to the other side of the room, or to another room, and something happens to your thread, you should hear the machine stop and warn you. For some time, I was getting a random thread break, but the needle would still go up and down, and the hoop would move as if it was stitching, but without stitching anything.  This would usually happen when I left the machine for a short break to refill my coffee cup, etc. Very frustrating. I will also mention that there is no reference to  this warning and stopping of the needle in my Instruction Booklet.    So, if you experience a thread break and then no stitching but the needle and hoop still moving, there IS a fix. I am not sure how the tech actually fixed that, but they DID fix it.
Stay cool and safe!!   Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Cat - N

That is super great, Kathy.  Glad your 500e is fixed.  That would be annoying to have the machine continue to stitch after a thread break.

- Cat

Kathleen Chevalier

Our embroidery machines often malfunction when left unattended. Gremlins in the factory sneak in an Operator Proximity Detector, which lets the machine you have left it alone. It immediately goes wonky.

I'm glad you got your machine fixed, Kathy.

--
Kathleen Chevalier
western Pennsylvania

Kathy Strabel

Kathleen-----You are absolutely correct about the Operator Proximity Detector!!!  I cannot tell you how many times I have turned away from the machine and then I get a wayward loop, or sometimes something more serious.  And usually that occurs when the design is more than halfway completed. So that means I have ruined an otherwise perfectly good tea towel, or garment. I am doing a group of towels this week and I decided to stitch out the designs first onto some lightweight denim and then applique that onto the tea towels. Less waste of good blanks.   Oh, and I think the Operator Proximity Detector  is related to the  Singular Sock Sucker function that is built into our clothes dryers!!!   LOL!!   Have a happy day!
Kathy Strabel     Camas WA

Cat - N

LOL...Kathleen and Kathy...loving these comments!

I have referred to "petting my machines" of all types for over 40 years for sure, so I 'completely believe' in the 'life of machines' and their 'attachment to their people' that we see so often.  I do not mean JUST embroidery and sewing machines...I've seen that kind of 'behavior' from copy machines, cars, computers, etc.  As 'the only computer guy in the company' for a whole lot of years until microcomputers/PC's became 'common' in businesses and hired whole departments of IT staff, it got to the point that I couldn't be gone from work for more than 3 days without computers, printers, etc., having issues.  Gone a whole week, I'd have several machines out of a couple hundred down when I returned...and all I needed to do to 'fix' them was touch them personally.  I can't tell you how many times I've had users tell me, "it was NOT working...I swear!"  LOL  I had one computer that worked perfectly if I walked out to the receiving dock and 'petted' it once each day...otherwise, it'd 'break' and I'd get a service call which magically fixed itself when I arrived within the "Proximity Detector" range.

I am making two little girl's dresses and will be using my 9mm ruffler on my 15000 on the dresses.  Literally...I 'perfected' the ruffle I wanted, wrote down the settings, touched nothing else and shut off the 15000.  When I turned it back on a couple days later, the ruffler was deep pleating my final test sample!!!  If not for the "Operator Proximity Detector" interferring, how else could the ruffler reset itself so badly...LOL  I have re-perfected the same ruffle, ran several test strips (WOF) and the ruffler is sitting beside the 15000 awaiting it's next turn at fabric...but I have several more test strips waiting...just in case it's 'gone wonky' again.

- Cat

Kathy Strabel

Cat----Thanks for the compliment. Yes, we have to find the humor in some things or else we might go screaming into the night!!!   Better to chuckle about some things.

It is very frustrating to take any kind of a machine in for repairs, only to have the tech say they could not replicate the problem, so there would be nothing to fix. And then you get it home and it still acts up.  This is especially maddening if you live far away from your repair center.

Your ruffler story is priceless. Yes, just how did the ruffler attachment re-set itself overnight??   Good luck on the little girls' dresses. If you think of it, please post a pic when completed. I don't have any little (or big) girls in my family, so I miss sewing girly things.
Take care, happy stitching to you!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA USA

Cheryl Paul

Oh! “The Singular Sock Sucker” in the dryer - I’m missing that (at least in recent years), but I have an “Over the Top Thrower” when I empty my dryer. That one is bad as the dryer is in a tight space and I CAN’T move. it. I read this post and to also to my husband and he laughed with me. However, it reminded me of my MISSING sock. He said, “It must be caught in a sleeve or pant leg.” I assured him that it was NOT and told him about the “Over the Top Thrower” and he looked and rescued my sock for me. I’ve got a wonderful man.

The other gremlin “Operatore Proximity Detector” has been in my machines a time or two. Even the “Babysitter” Acumonitor APP doesn’t always catch those in time, as well as the right machine ie: 15000 or Skyline S9, has to be the machine left with that babysitter, for salvation. You also need to be within WiFi distance as well.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

a67skc70

Somewhere I missed the ruffler story. that is one of the problems with not being on line for about a week or so.
Linda

On Monday, July 5, 2021, 11:02:24 AM CDT, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Cat----Thanks for the compliment. Yes, we have to find the humor in some things or else we might go screaming into the night!!!   Better to chuckle about some things.

It is very frustrating to take any kind of a machine in for repairs, only to have the tech say they could not replicate the problem, so there would be nothing to fix. And then you get it home and it still acts up.  This is especially maddening if you live far away from your repair center.

Your ruffler story is priceless. Yes, just how did the ruffler attachment re-set itself overnight??   Good luck on the little girls' dresses. If you think of it, please post a pic when completed. I don't have any little (or big) girls in my family, so I miss sewing girly things.
Take care, happy stitching to you!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA USA

a67skc70

I have never lost a sock in either the washer or the dryer. Actually I have never lost anything. lol
Linda

On Monday, July 5, 2021, 2:37:02 PM CDT, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

[...]

Never lost a sock from your washer or dryer??!! Well, you obviously did not go for the optional Singular Sock Sucker upgrade when you bought your appliances!  LOL
Kathy Strabel

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 9:08 AM a67skc70 <a67skc70@...> wrote:
[...]

Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

a67skc70

On Thursday, July 15, 2021, 11:06:31 AM CDT, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ve never lost items in my laundry machines either. Repair tech said years ago that they can float over the inner drum and into the outer drum, and down the drain or maybe create a clog.  Dryer issue was they could get into the filter area.  My first washer was very good about water level, and etc., so nothing ever went out of the inner drum, and my current one is front loader so doesn’t do that. No repairs from clogs like that either.  My dryers never had clearance for socks to get into filter area so no issues there either. Luck, perhaps, but probably just in buying machines that didn’t have ‘black holes’ for laundry to disappear into.  No way to tell until you use them I suppose.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Jul 16, 2021 at 3:00 PM, <a67skc70> wrote:

[...]

Lyn Quine

My husband always used to moan that there was a sock gnome in the house stealing socks leaving a drawer full of odds.  Always said I was in league with said sock gnome.  Then one day I looked in the bin, and there was half a dozen odd socks she’d thrown out because, they had holes in them………l. He hasn’t moaned since I pointed out that throwing away one of a pair leaves odd ones.  He grinned!  He then started buying all black socks so that he could easily find a pair.  Personally I think wearing odd socks is good, my feet were always colourful.  Odd socks never bothered me, even going through airport security, always brought a smile to security guards face whilst my shoes were scanned!  Oh they were the days, when travel was easier.