350E price

katz11west

Good morning I've found a 350E originally purchased in 2007.  It's had very little use,  I originally was wanting one of the more expensive Janome embroidery machines but just can't afford it right now.  She is asking $600.00.  Any thoughts about the price and age of the machine?

Thanks
Lorrie

Lyn Quine

I bought my 350e in 2010 I loved it then I love it now, she’s still working been serviced twice.  She’s not used as much now as I have the 12000 and 15000 but I won’t part with it the smaller hoop is useful the 2 other machines have bigger hoops.  I don’t know about price, but if you see it working ok and it sounds and looks ok, try and haggle the price if you feel you can.  

On 5 Dec 2021, at 13:24, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Good morning I've found a 350E originally purchased in 2007.  It's had very little use,  I originally was wanting one of the more expensive Janome embroidery machines but just can't afford it right now.  She is asking $600.00.  Any thoughts about the price and age of the machine?

Thanks
Lorrie

Renee Wojnowski

I saw the 350e listed on Amazon for 699, just for comparison sake

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 7:44 AM Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:
I bought my 350e in 2010 I loved it then I love it now, she’s still working been serviced twice.  She’s not used as much now as I have the 12000 and 15000 but I won’t part with it the smaller hoop is useful the 2 other machines have bigger hoops.  I don’t know about price, but if you see it working ok and it sounds and looks ok, try and haggle the price if you feel you can.  

On 5 Dec 2021, at 13:24, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks
Lorrie

Kathy Strabel

Lorrie--I don't know if you will find this helpful, but I purchased the model 500e embroidery-only, about 3 years ago. Brand new, in box from a well-known local dealer. The price was $1699 and included 4 hoops. The stitch quality is very nice and I am glad to have a separate machine so I can do regular sewing while embroidering at the same time. 
 My 500e does not have a way to check how much "mileage" it has on it, so I assume the 350e also would not have this feature.  If the seller is local to you, ask if you can do a test ---and bring the fabrics, stabilizer, and thread that you would normally use. Sew out a couple of samples and keep your ears open for any sounds that might indicate trouble. I believe there would be some built-in designs, but if you have a fairly simple JEF format design on a thumb drive, the seller should allow you to test that, too. 
Good luck
Kathy Strabel 

Tericloth

I have the 500e that I purchased about a year ago, after 2 failed attempts at buying used machines, they were both sewing and embroidery, Huqusvana, and a Brother, not sure if it was the  part that they were shipped to me, but I did not want  to have to pay for them to be serviced as soon as I got them, so I returned them.

If the machine does not have to be shipped, and you can go have the seller demonstrate it for you, then I would grab it, maybe try knocking off $50, but if she is giving you all kinds of thread and such, I would pay the full amount. The embroidery machines are just going up in price. So if this is a good working machine, take it, you can always upgrade in time.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 7:59 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 350E price

Lorrie--I don't know if you will find this helpful, but I purchased the model 500e embroidery-only, about 3 years ago. Brand new, in box from a well-known local dealer. The price was $1699 and included 4 hoops. The stitch quality is very nice and I am glad to have a separate machine so I can do regular sewing while embroidering at the same time. 
 My 500e does not have a way to check how much "mileage" it has on it, so I assume the 350e also would not have this feature.  If the seller is local to you, ask if you can do a test ---and bring the fabrics, stabilizer, and thread that you would normally use. Sew out a couple of samples and keep your ears open for any sounds that might indicate trouble. I believe there would be some built-in designs, but if you have a fairly simple JEF format design on a thumb drive, the seller should allow you to test that, too. 
Good luck
Kathy Strabel 

katz11west

Thanks to all the replies.  Yes seller is local.  I stopped yesterday and hooped some material and stitched out part of a built in design.  All went well.  Looks like hoops may never had been used.  I feel confident in the machine but since it is at least 14 years old and probably never serviced I will at least have to spend another $100.00 for that.  Seller is older lady with eye problems .  Some thread and a small cd of designs included and a zip case for the hoops etc.
I looked at the 500E a few months ago and was impressed with the stitch quality and on boarding editing functions.  I might get her to come down a little on the price.  

Pixey

The 350e is a really nice little machine and at times I do miss mine for it’s compact size.  I replaced mine with a 500e about a year after they came out and sold mine locally for $800. Even though the screen feels small by today’s standards and it is grayscale rather than color, the machine has the full suite of editing features (combining designs, resizing, moving the design in the stitch field, etc.) and takes designs on a USB.  

One thing to be aware of…
The USB file structure for designs is different from what Janome uses in the newer machines and doesn’t allow sub folders.  You need to use small USB’s, preferably 1Gb or less and designs have to go into the EmbF5>MyDesign folder set up when you format the USB in the machine.

Given the current machine shortage, I would say that it is a pretty good price.  Even if you feel it ought to be serviced.

Pixey

On Dec 5, 2021, at 10:37 AM, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Thanks to all the replies.  Yes seller is local.  I stopped yesterday and hooped some material and stitched out part of a built in design.  All went well.  Looks like hoops may never had been used.  I feel confident in the machine but since it is at least 14 years old and probably never serviced I will at least have to spend another $100.00 for that.  Seller is older lady with eye problems .  Some thread and a small cd of designs included and a zip case for the hoops etc.
I looked at the 500E a few months ago and was impressed with the stitch quality and on boarding editing functions.  I might get her to come down a little on the price.  

Cat - N

I can’t help with what the machine should sell for or be worth at its current age, but I can tell you I have a Kenmore computerized sewing machine made by Janome that I bought new at Sears in January 1994 that still works perfectly…it’s warranty only expired a few years ago and it’s only been serviced a few times since it was purchased new and rarely used until about 2012. 

So, I had no concerns in early 2015 about acquiring a Janome 11000 manufactured in 2005, especially having seen and wanted one when they first came out, and it also still works perfectly.  (Only issues I had with it were a slightly damaged…burred…plastic embroidery foot, easily resolved with a new foot, and a bit of thread ‘kinking’ on the top end of the thread path, easily resolved by using a thread stand, and a slight adjustment of the bobbin case ‘stop’ which Jim said was an issue when the 11000’s were first made that he figured out for his customers having the issue.) 

I bought a 15000 in 2016 but kept the 11000. By the time I got the 11000, it had been ‘replaced in manufacturing’ by the 12000 and the 15000.

If you are reasonably confident the machine has had proper care and/or storage by its current owner, the Janome machines are quality machines in my experience and, in your position, I might definitely be inclined to give the decision very careful consideration. If your budget permits at a later date, you can still have a ‘fall back’ machine if you decide to invest in the 350e now and upgrade later. 

Looking forward to hearing your decision.  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 
_._,_._,_

Virginia

The machine is old technology. Is limited to a 5x7 hoop. . And embroidery only and limited stitch allowance.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/5/21 12:23 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Onlinesewing-Janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] 350E price

I can’t help with what the machine should sell for or be worth at its current age, but I can tell you I have a Kenmore computerized sewing machine made by Janome that I bought new at Sears in January 1994 that still works perfectly…it’s warranty only expired a few years ago and it’s only been serviced a few times since it was purchased new and rarely used until about 2012. 

So, I had no concerns in early 2015 about acquiring a Janome 11000 manufactured in 2005, especially having seen and wanted one when they first came out, and it also still works perfectly.  (Only issues I had with it were a slightly damaged…burred…plastic embroidery foot, easily resolved with a new foot, and a bit of thread ‘kinking’ on the top end of the thread path, easily resolved by using a thread stand, and a slight adjustment of the bobbin case ‘stop’ which Jim said was an issue when the 11000’s were first made that he figured out for his customers having the issue.) 

I bought a 15000 in 2016 but kept the 11000. By the time I got the 11000, it had been ‘replaced in manufacturing’ by the 12000 and the 15000.

If you are reasonably confident the machine has had proper care and/or storage by its current owner, the Janome machines are quality machines in my experience and, in your position, I might definitely be inclined to give the decision very careful consideration. If your budget permits at a later date, you can still have a ‘fall back’ machine if you decide to invest in the 350e now and upgrade later. 

Looking forward to hearing your decision.  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

Vikki Youngmeyer

As for USBs, I’ve used USB drives with a considerable amount of storage with no issues on both the 350e and the 15000 and have had no issue with storing or retrieving files.

Vikki                                                                                                                                                                   

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pixey via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 11:08 AM

The 350e is a really nice little machine and at times I do miss mine for it’s compact size.  I replaced mine with a 500e about a year after they came out and sold mine locally for $800. Even though the screen feels small by today’s standards and it is grayscale rather than color, the machine has the full suite of editing features (combining designs, resizing, moving the design in the stitch field, etc.) and takes designs on a USB.  

One thing to be aware of…

The USB file structure for designs is different from what Janome uses in the newer machines and doesn’t allow sub folders.  You need to use small USB’s, preferably 1Gb or less and designs have to go into the EmbF5>MyDesign folder set up when you format the USB in the machine.

Given the current machine shortage, I would say that it is a pretty good price.  Even if you feel it ought to be serviced.

Pixey

On Dec 5, 2021, at 10:37 AM, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Padden, Jennifer R

I purchased my 350e at the Houston quilt show in 2006.  It has been a workhorse for me and I do not have any complaints about it at all.  I cannot upgrade due to budget but I really like my 350e. It has worked perfectly with my Embrilliance editing modules.  I paid over $1000 for mine back then.  Be sure you use good bobbins cause if you use generic ones, they rattle in the bobbin case during the stitch out.

--
~~~Jennifer Padden

Jean Olson

I have had a 350E since it came out! Have other machines, but love how little room it takes. No problem to take it anywhere if I wanted, nor to find room for it. I like to have it at standing level and it fits on a rather small open shelf - with enough room behind it so hoops don't hit the wall. I looked at the 500 a long time ago but didn't like all the space it took. I have a machine with larger hoops but I find I do mostly small things. Also, the simplicity of it is a big plus for me:-) Love the needle threader. As far as folders, I set up several folders inside the Embf5 top folder and find they don't need to be inside the My Designs folder. I use flash cards as at the time, they were so easy to find - they used to be used for cameras. I even have one that is FOUR MEGABYTES - unheard of today. It still holds lots of designs:-)

Jean

Pixey

Jean and Vikki,

Thanks for sharing that you have set up folders and used larger USB drives with no problem.  I always just followed the advice my dealer gave me when I bought my 350e.

Pixey

On Dec 6, 2021, at 10:59 AM, Jean Olson <jean_olson@...> wrote:

I have had a 350E since it came out! Have other machines, but love how little room it takes. No problem to take it anywhere if I wanted, nor to find room for it. I like to have it at standing level and it fits on a rather small open shelf - with enough room behind it so hoops don't hit the wall. I looked at the 500 a long time ago but didn't like all the space it took. I have a machine with larger hoops but I find I do mostly small things. Also, the simplicity of it is a big plus for me:-) Love the needle threader. As far as folders, I set up several folders inside the Embf5 top folder and find they don't need to be inside the My Designs folder. I use flash cards as at the time, they were so easy to find - they used to be used for cameras. I even have one that is FOUR MEGABYTES - unheard of today. It still holds lots of designs:-)

Jean

favymtz

Interesting that I’ve always only used 16 or 32g usb’s with nary a problem. I just don’t use them to nearly the capacity. Small g usb’s are hard to find.
--
Favymtz

Lyn Quine

I fpound a load on Amazon, bought a pack of 10.  Wasn’t very expensive.  I have some upstairs with embroideries I want to do and I have some downstairs with the PC.  I also use some older USBs I found lurking at the back of the draw, 250 MB they work equally well.  I only use them as working USBs never store on them.  I stitch and delete and reload.  My backup USB is a 64GB and that is just one back up, I keep all my zipped original downloads on that.  My embroidery library and zips are also on an external drive. 

Lyhn

Sent: 07 December 2021 17:49

Interesting that I’ve always only used 16 or 32g usb’s with nary a problem. I just don’t use them to nearly the capacity. Small g usb’s are hard to find.
--
Favymtz

Virginia

I find that there are some flash drives that do not work when I have purchased off brand flash drives. I do purchase from Amazon but I try to stay with name brand.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/7/21 1:26 PM (GMT-05:00)

I fpound a load on Amazon, bought a pack of 10.  Wasn’t very expensive.  I have some upstairs with embroideries I want to do and I have some downstairs with the PC.  I also use some older USBs I found lurking at the back of the draw, 250 MB they work equally well.  I only use them as working USBs never store on them.  I stitch and delete and reload.  My backup USB is a 64GB and that is just one back up, I keep all my zipped original downloads on that.  My embroidery library and zips are also on an external drive. 

Lyhn

Sent: 07 December 2021 17:49

--
Favymtz

katz11west

Update, I purchased the machine and got a little off of the price.  Of course now that I purchased it another one showed up on FB for a lot less.  Oh well.
I did try to use a usb , formatting it as the Janome website instructed  and after watching numerous u tube videos.  The My Design folder is there and when I have downloaded some .jef files into it when I put it back into the embroidery machine those files do not exist.
Any thoughts as to why they aren't there?

Lyn Quine

The files have to be unzipped, the files go into the folder you don’t put a folder of files in the my design folder.

If they are unzipped they could be too big for the hoops

On 9 Dec 2021, at 22:06, katz11west via groups.io <katz11west@...> wrote:

Update, I purchased the machine and got a little off of the price.  Of course now that I purchased it another one showed up on FB for a lot less.  Oh well.
I did try to use a usb , formatting it as the Janome website instructed  and after watching numerous u tube videos.  The My Design folder is there and when I have downloaded some .jef files into it when I put it back into the embroidery machine those files do not exist.
Any thoughts as to why they aren't there?

Jim Stutsman

There are two requirements for designs to show up on the 350E:
1. All designs MUST be inside a folder.
2. All folders from step 1 MUST be inside the My Design folder.

If you just put the designs into the My Design folder, but not inside a sub-folder, the machine will not see them.

Lyn Quine

You can put your own folder along side the My design folder, it becomes the folder list.  Folders don’t go inside My designs it files.  When saving or dragging and dropping on the computer you save the folder to the EMBF folder, the machine opens that when you click the USB icon, to show the folder list.  The piece below is copied from the 350e manual.

Opening the designs on USB memory
Press the USB memory tab.
The folder list is displayed in the window.
Press the desired Folder selection key to select it.

CAUTION:
Do not turn the power off or disconnect the USB memory while the warning sign or hourglass is displayed.

The designs contained in the selected folder will be displayed on the Pattern selection keys.
Press the Pattern selection key to select the desired.

The diagrams aren’t showing. Page 36 is the relevant page

On 9 Dec 2021, at 22:36, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

There are two requirements for designs to show up on the 350E:
1. All designs MUST be inside a folder.
2. All folders from step 1 MUST be inside the My Design folder.

If you just put the designs into the My Design folder, but not inside a sub-folder, the machine will not see them.