Topics

Question about 14000

J Fraker

I seem to recall reading that the 14000 is the same as the 15000 without wi-fi?  Is this correct?  

Jim Stutsman

Yes, that’s correct.

Kathy

I have a 14000 and love it. I opted for it over the 15000 because I didn’t want the WiFi and the price was a bit less. 

kathy

J Fraker

That was my thinking. I don't care about the Wi-Fi. Right now I have the 12000, and I wonder if it is worth trading up to the 14000. What does it do that the 12000 does not?

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019, 8:45 AM Kathy <poolekc@...> wrote:

I have a 14000 and love it. I opted for it over the 15000 because I didn’t want the WiFi and the price was a bit less. 

kathy

Cat - N

The 14000 not having WiFi installed is one of the differences between it and the 15000, but both are VERY NICE machines.

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----

I seem to recall reading that the 14000 is the same as the 15000 without wi-fi?  Is this correct?  
_._,_._,_

Lyn Quine

Can the 14000 be upgraded to take the new plate and feet?  The wifi might not be the only difference since the 15000 is now the Quiltmaker, had added feet, including the new ruler foot etc., and the new HP plate and HP 1/4” foot which is the best 1/4” ever and the Acufeed HP2 foot.

Jim Stutsman

That’s a very good point Lyn. There are actually 2 “clones” of the 15000: the 14000 and the Elna 920. Traditionally Janome does not add features to these models, even when it’s a simple software update. This is more about marketing than technology - if you add all the features to the lesser models it removes the incentive to buy the top model. This is the same sort of branding we see in other products. It doesn’t cost more to make a 15000 than it does to make a 14000, other than the nominal cost of the WiFi hardware.

It is probably physically possible to use the Quiltmaker accessories on the 14000, but the internal machine software will not be configured for it. That means there is some risk if you aren’t very careful with settings. This is similar to what happened with the 10000, when they introduced the Gigahoop for larger embroidery. At the same time they had a model 300E, which was an embroidery-only clone of the 10000. People wanted to use the Gigahoop on the 300E, but were told it would damage the machine, void the warranty, and more. It eventually became obvious that it would work, but you had to take some extra steps that the 300E did not provide.

favymtz

I have both a 12000 and a 15000. I bought the 15 mostly for the WiFi which I am so glad that I did. I use WiFi functions all the time especially AcuSetter app.
Differences: 15000 (and I assume the14000) has a much nicer screen and easier to use. It doesn’t have that wasted space for that touch dial at the bottom of the screen.
more decorative stitches and Tapered stitches
HP foot and plate for phenomenal straight stitching(!)
Automatic needle threader

The hoops for embroidery are the same.

I don’t know the price difference between a 14 and 15k but because I like and use the WiFi, for me the 15k is a better choice over the 14k, and if you already have a 12k, moving up to a 14 won’t be that huge of an improvement, except for the HP foot.
I actually prefer the manual needle threader on the 12, and the positioning of the other function buttons (thread cutter, foot up) over those on the 15k.!!
That’s my opinion anyway!
Favymtz 

favymtz

Oh, one other important thing between the 12000 and 15000, stitch limit in embroidery! 12000 is limited to 100,000 stitches and the 15000 is 200,000!
Favymtz 

gbmko

Janome.com has a machine comparison, so you can  run through the list and see what is important to you. I had the 12000 and now have the 15000.  My circle attachment and bias binders do not fit on the 15000 because of the different throat plate.  But they are interchangeable, so I purchased an extra throat plate, which is not expensive, so I can use those EXPENSIVE attachments on my 15000. Also, if you do  a lot of embroidery, the acuSetter app is wonderful, but I have not figured out a way I can use it without having  wifi enabled machine.  I'm hoping someone knows how so my sister in law can use it with her 12000.  If you have to have wifi on the machine to use the app, consider if that is important to you for that quick, perfect embroidery placement without messing with perfectly hooping your fabric.  

J Fraker

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I guess I'll keep my 12000 for now. I do love it. I really don't want to spend my limited sewing time learning how to use the WiFi. I wish someone would invent a machine that would just project the entire embroidery design onto the fabric. That would be the simplest way to get perfect placement. With all the technology we have nowadays, that shouldn't be so hard.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 10:34 AM gbmko via Groups.Io <gbmko=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Janome.com has a machine comparison, so you can  run through the list and see what is important to you. I had the 12000 and now have the 15000.  My circle attachment and bias binders do not fit on the 15000 because of the different throat plate.  But they are interchangeable, so I purchased an extra throat plate, which is not expensive, so I can use those EXPENSIVE attachments on my 15000. Also, if you do  a lot of embroidery, the acuSetter app is wonderful, but I have not figured out a way I can use it without having  wifi enabled machine.  I'm hoping someone knows how so my sister in law can use it with her 12000.  If you have to have wifi on the machine to use the app, consider if that is important to you for that quick, perfect embroidery placement without messing with perfectly hooping your fabric.  

favymtz

I don't know if this will be allowed through to the group, but to answer J Fraker, yes there is technology to do what you want with positioning designs on fabric in the hoop, but in a different brand(s) of machines.
Wifi is very easy to use. It just takes an Ipad and a good wifi connection.
Also, even the Horizon Link Embroidery Link tool can use a Wifi connection to send and receive designs from the machine.
Don't be intimidated by it! The learning curve isn't difficult, it's fun and easy to do!
Favymtz

J Fraker

It's not that I'm intimidated by the iPad, I just don't want to have to buy yet another gadget.  I actually don't have any problem with embroidery placement if I'm just stitching out a design.  I guess I should explain my problem a bit further.  I mostly like to quilt.  I have a nice longarm machine (not computerized), but I really hate standing there using it.  The method I use is to put the quilt on the longarm, stitch in the ditch around all the blocks which is way better than basting, then take it off and go to the embroidery machine.  I then hoop each block and quilt a design with my 12000.  The problem I have is that because of all the layers, it can be difficult to get it hooped perfectly straight.  I use the ASQ22 hoop which works really well, but I have to check each corner and sometimes manipulate the quilt a little and then check each corner again.  I can eventually get the design to stitch just where I want it, but it takes a lot of extra time.  If the whole quilting design were just projected onto the fabric, it would be really easy to rotate or reposition it a bit and avoid all that checking and re-checking the corners.  Hope all this makes sense.  I've looked at other brands, but I don't know of any that project the entire design onto the fabric.  I'm not sure I'd want another anyway.  I've been using Janome machines since way back when they were called New Home.  I did buy another brand one time, but didn't like it at all and went back to Janome. 

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 10:09 PM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
I don't know if this will be allowed through to the group, but to answer J Fraker, yes there is technology to do what you want with positioning designs on fabric in the hoop, but in a different brand(s) of machines.
Also, even the Horizon Link Embroidery Link tool can use a Wifi connection to send and receive designs from the machine.
Don't be intimidated by it! The learning curve isn't difficult, it's fun and easy to do!
Favymtz

Virginia

Why not go the old fashion way and print out a template? That is what we use to do back in the 90's before wi fi and fancy software,  in fact many earlier Janome machines came with templates for us. 

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/14/19 11:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Question about 14000

It's not that I'm intimidated by the iPad, I just don't want to have to buy yet another gadget.  I actually don't have any problem with embroidery placement if I'm just stitching out a design.  I guess I should explain my problem a bit further.  I mostly like to quilt.  I have a nice longarm machine (not computerized), but I really hate standing there using it.  The method I use is to put the quilt on the longarm, stitch in the ditch around all the blocks which is way better than basting, then take it off and go to the embroidery machine.  I then hoop each block and quilt a design with my 12000.  The problem I have is that because of all the layers, it can be difficult to get it hooped perfectly straight.  I use the ASQ22 hoop which works really well, but I have to check each corner and sometimes manipulate the quilt a little and then check each corner again.  I can eventually get the design to stitch just where I want it, but it takes a lot of extra time.  If the whole quilting design were just projected onto the fabric, it would be really easy to rotate or reposition it a bit and avoid all that checking and re-checking the corners.  Hope all this makes sense.  I've looked at other brands, but I don't know of any that project the entire design onto the fabric.  I'm not sure I'd want another anyway.  I've been using Janome machines since way back when they were called New Home.  I did buy another brand one time, but didn't like it at all and went back to Janome. 

Favymtz

Virginia

I also use a clothsetter which helps with hooping and centering.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/14/19 11:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Question about 14000

Favymtz

Cat - N

Maybe something like this would help...

https://www.shop.dzgns.com/products/perfect-alignment-laser

https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-artistic-perfect-alignment-laser/

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----

IThet's not that I'm intimidated by the iPad, I just don't want to have to buy yet another gadget.  I actually don't have any problem with embroidery placement if I'm just stitching out a design.  I guess I should explain my problem a bit further.  I mostly like to quilt.  I have a nice longarm machine (not computerized), but I really hate standing there using it.  The method I use is to put the quilt on the longarm, stitch in the ditch around all the blocks which is way better than basting, then take it off and go to the embroidery machine.  I then hoop each block and quilt a design with my 12000.  The problem I have is that because of all the layers, it can be difficult to get it hooped perfectly straight.  I use the ASQ22 hoop which works really well, but I have to check each corner and sometimes manipulate the quilt a little and then check each corner again.  I can eventually get the design to stitch just where I want it, but it takes a lot of extra time.  If the whole quilting design were just projected onto the fabric, it would be really easy to rotate or reposition it a bit and avoid all that checking and re-checking the corners.  Hope all this makes sense.  I've looked at other brands, but I don't know of any that project the entire design onto the fabric.  I'm not sure I'd want another anyway.  I've been using Janome machines since way back when they were called New Home.  I did buy another brand one time, but didn't like it at all and went back to Janome. 

Favymtz

favymtz

lol! I was just going to suggest a product from the dzgns (DIME) people! 
It's a projector that helps with alignment. 
It's a bit pricey, but a friend has it and she loves it.
Personally, I don't think the PAL laser light will accomplish as well what JFraker wants to do, especially with her bulky quilts. I have one of those too, and NEVER use it. I like the clothsetter far more. The ASQ22 hoop with the Clothsetter will be ideal for her quilting placement.
Not to offend anyone, WE all have preferences!!!
Faviola