AcuDesign and the new IOS 13

JILL BAILEY

Jim I know u mentioned this ages ago and had thoughts , but today my iPad uploaded auto the new 1OS13 , onto my iPad Air 2 .. there is a new way to download a zipped file ( took me ages to find ) but it won’t download to AcuDesign anymore .. if I go to Dropbox and save it there , eventhough in AcuDesign the two are linked to open Dropbox won’t send to AcuDesign and only to Acuedit or my iPad zip programme . I can’t see how to get files to AcuDesign now , the box isn’t in the file list to download .. is AcuDesign not compatible with Dropbox etc now .. I usually open it to IZip pro then straight to AcuDesign

Jim Stutsman

We seem to have reached the point where Apple is having trouble keeping up with their relentless schedule of a new release every year. Just a week after iOS 13 hit the street they came out with 13.1, and 13.2 is already in beta. Dropbox is probably keeping up, as they have a huge user base. AcuDesign got broken when Dropbox went from version 1 to version 2, even though they had almost a year's notice of the upcoming change. Janome has consistently promoted Dropbox as the best way to manage design files in and out of AcuDesign, so a lot of people had problems until the update was released. I suspect there is a similar problem here. Apple made iOS 13 available to developers in June and made detailed videos available on the upcoming changes. The company that made AcuDesign for Janome also does Artistic Digitizer, and they may be focusing more on that.

Putting away the soapbox, I was able to get a design into AcuDesign from a zip file using these steps:
  1. Download the zip file, if it's on a website. If it's in an email tap the attachment, then the button in the top left corner to open the Share menu, and use the Save to Files option. Save to a folder you can find again, or create a new folder (Folder with + button at top) to save in. You can also save it to Dropbox, again to a known folder. If Dropbox is not available, click the Edit Actions button at the bottom of the list and turn on the Save to Dropbox action. If you already put the file in Dropbox from your computer go to the next step.
  2. Now open or return to the Files app. Choose the Browse option at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Under Locations tap the place where you saved the file in step 1. (If downloaded it should be in Downloads under the Favorites heading.) Tap the zip file that you downloaded to unzip it.
  4. You now have a folder with the same name as the zip file. It contains all the files in the zip. Tap to open it.
  5. Tap the Select button in the top right corner, then tap each design you want. Note that you can select more than one, but AcuDesign is still using an older interface and will only accept the first one you choose.
  6. Tap the Share button at the bottom of the screen. It's a box with an arrow coming out of it.
  7. This will open a list of actions, only halfway for some odd reason. The second row will have a list of apps. Swipe through it for AcuDesign. It probably is not there.
  8. Assuming it's not there, tap the ... (More) button at the end of the row. Swipe through the App list for Copy to AcuDesign and tap that.
  9. This should take the design into AcuDesign, unless you get the message that it cannot do that right now. In that case switch back to AcuDesign and do whatever it's waiting for, so you get back to the main screen. Then switch back.
  10. The design is now in AcuDesign. Whew!
Yes, this is a ridiculous amount of effort to achieve something that should be (and once was) simple! There's lots of blame to spread for that. Apple has added the Files app in an attempt to make iPhones and iPads more like computers, which is fine, but it adds a level of complexity that most people have trouble with. The old "sandbox" model, where every app's data was self-contained, was more in line with how people think. Back in the early days of working with people new to computers I would ask "Where did you save your document?" I'd get an answer "It's in Word." Then I would have to explain that "Word" is not a place, but a program. And now we seem to be circling back.

Then there is AcuDesign. After the Dropbox V1 to V2 fiasco they should have been prepared for iOS 13, but there has not been an update since version 3.1 a year ago. This has left users to find work-arounds so the software can continue to be used, and explains why the app has a 2.1 star rating from 35 reviews. I am again reminded of my favorite quote from the old "Peanuts" comic strip when Linus famously says "There is no heavier burden than a great potential."

Virginia

Jill I am not sure this will work but this is what I received from Brian at Embrilliance.(I have not used my iPad in about a week so not sure if this will be related.) Go to Settings, System Preferances:  Click on Security and Privacy Select "Full Disk Access" from the list.  It should be on your left.  Click the "lock" it should unlock it which will allow you to make changes.  You will need to enter your Mac password( the one you use when you log in your Ipad). Click the '+'button which should open Finder in your Application folder.  Select the application you have installed that should unlock it.  You will need to do it for each program from what I understand.  Again not sure if this will help, if not then I guess we need to contact Janome.

Virginia