AcuDesign and the new IOS 13

JILL BAILEY

Jim I know u mentioned this ages ago and had thoughts , but today my iPad uploaded auto the new 1OS13 , onto my iPad Air 2 .. there is a new way to download a zipped file ( took me ages to find ) but it won’t download to AcuDesign anymore .. if I go to Dropbox and save it there , eventhough in AcuDesign the two are linked to open Dropbox won’t send to AcuDesign and only to Acuedit or my iPad zip programme . I can’t see how to get files to AcuDesign now , the box isn’t in the file list to download .. is AcuDesign not compatible with Dropbox etc now .. I usually open it to IZip pro then straight to AcuDesign 

Jim Stutsman

We seem to have reached the point where Apple is having trouble keeping up with their relentless schedule of a new release every year. Just a week after iOS 13 hit the street they came out with 13.1, and 13.2 is already in beta. Dropbox is probably keeping up, as they have a huge user base. AcuDesign got broken when Dropbox went from version 1 to version 2, even though they had almost a year's notice of the upcoming change. Janome has consistently promoted Dropbox as the best way to manage design files in and out of AcuDesign, so a lot of people had problems until the update was released. I suspect there is a similar problem here. Apple made iOS 13 available to developers in June and made detailed videos available on the upcoming changes. The company that made AcuDesign for Janome also does Artistic Digitizer, and they may be focusing more on that.

Putting away the soapbox, I was able to get a design into AcuDesign from a zip file using these steps:
  1. Download the zip file, if it's on a website. If it's in an email tap the attachment, then the button in the top left corner to open the Share menu, and use the Save to Files option. Save to a folder you can find again, or create a new folder (Folder with + button at top) to save in. You can also save it to Dropbox, again to a known folder. If Dropbox is not available, click the Edit Actions button at the bottom of the list and turn on the Save to Dropbox action. If you already put the file in Dropbox from your computer go to the next step.
  2. Now open or return to the Files app. Choose the Browse option at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Under Locations tap the place where you saved the file in step 1. (If downloaded it should be in Downloads under the Favorites heading.) Tap the zip file that you downloaded to unzip it.
  4. You now have a folder with the same name as the zip file. It contains all the files in the zip. Tap to open it.
  5. Tap the Select button in the top right corner, then tap each design you want. Note that you can select more than one, but AcuDesign is still using an older interface and will only accept the first one you choose.
  6. Tap the Share button at the bottom of the screen. It's a box with an arrow coming out of it.
  7. This will open a list of actions, only halfway for some odd reason. The second row will have a list of apps. Swipe through it for AcuDesign. It probably is not there.
  8. Assuming it's not there, tap the ... (More) button at the end of the row. Swipe through the App list for Copy to AcuDesign and tap that.
  9. This should take the design into AcuDesign, unless you get the message that it cannot do that right now. In that case switch back to AcuDesign and do whatever it's waiting for, so you get back to the main screen. Then switch back.
  10. The design is now in AcuDesign. Whew!
Yes, this is a ridiculous amount of effort to achieve something that should be (and once was) simple! There's lots of blame to spread for that. Apple has added the Files app in an attempt to make iPhones and iPads more like computers, which is fine, but it adds a level of complexity that most people have trouble with. The old "sandbox" model, where every app's data was self-contained, was more in line with how people think. Back in the early days of working with people new to computers I would ask "Where did you save your document?" I'd get an answer "It's in Word." Then I would have to explain that "Word" is not a place, but a program. And now we seem to be circling back.

Then there is AcuDesign. After the Dropbox V1 to V2 fiasco they should have been prepared for iOS 13, but there has not been an update since version 3.1 a year ago. This has left users to find work-arounds so the software can continue to be used, and explains why the app has a 2.1 star rating from 35 reviews. I am again reminded of my favorite quote from the old "Peanuts" comic strip when Linus famously says "There is no heavier burden than a great potential."

Virginia

Jill I am not sure this will work but this is what I received from Brian at Embrilliance.(I have not used my iPad in about a week so not sure if this will be related.) Go to Settings, System Preferances:  Click on Security and Privacy Select "Full Disk Access" from the list.  It should be on your left.  Click the "lock" it should unlock it which will allow you to make changes.  You will need to enter your Mac password( the one you use when you log in your Ipad). Click the '+'button which should open Finder in your Application folder.  Select the application you have installed that should unlock it.  You will need to do it for each program from what I understand.  Again not sure if this will help, if not then I guess we need to contact Janome.

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] AcuDesign and the new IOS 13

Jim I know u mentioned this ages ago and had thoughts , but today my iPad uploaded auto the new 1OS13 , onto my iPad Air 2 .. there is a new way to download a zipped file ( took me ages to find ) but it won’t download to AcuDesign anymore .. if I go to Dropbox and save it there , eventhough in AcuDesign the two are linked to open Dropbox won’t send to AcuDesign and only to Acuedit or my iPad zip programme . I can’t see how to get files to AcuDesign now , the box isn’t in the file list to download .. is AcuDesign not compatible with Dropbox etc now .. I usually open it to IZip pro then straight to AcuDesign 

Jim Stutsman

Virginia those instructions apply only to macOS on a Mac computer, not iPad. There is no comparable setting in iOS, and there are very few programs that need full disk access even on a Mac.

JILL BAILEY

Jim thank you for the very detailed response , sadly I can’t get past number 7 & 8 .. it was saved as you said and I followed the instructions to a tee but when I get to the number 7 and press share AcuDesign is not there , then in number 8 when I press more the AcuDesign option is not there in the list  Acuedit is but not AcuDesign , it’s nowhere to be seen . I’ve saved it to Dropbox and my Unzip app and to files app it’s from Emb Library, it’s in all my normal places but none of them can I share see the AcuDesign box option ...
Am I missing a setting somewhere??? 

Jim Stutsman

It might be worth searching for AcuDesign in the App Store and downloading it again. If that doesn’t do it you may have to wait for an update to AcuDesign. There are sure to be others having trouble. You might also try signing out of Dropbox, then signing in again. In AcuDesign you could try turning off the Dropbox option, then turning it on again. Tomorrow I will use a different iPad to see if I can duplicate your problem and find a work-around.

JILL BAILEY

Thanks again Jim , I did the turn off and on the Dropbox option in Acudesign then when I turned on again Dropbox Asher it to allow which I did , also signed out and in again to Dropbox account , still all not working 
don’t really want to reinstall Acudesign as then all my designs and files will be lost .. hmmmmm 
really confused but I can send all my old designs to my machine via Wi-fi etc , just can’t get any new ones to Acudesign from a download 

JILL BAILEY

Jim and to all , I have some progress , I still can’t get files directly to AcuDesign the app just isn’t there BUT , when you download a design it goes on my iPad to top bar and when pressing that I see it auto saves to files n Dropbox 
on AcuDesign then I pressed import arrow and it opens a new page and Dropbox is on there .. then I opened Dropbox and found the file then imported it ...yayyyyy progress 

Debbie

I have same issue with AcuEdit. Re-installed both and no success. Neither are in my copy list. Guess it’s a good thing I’m going to Janome Canada Learning in November 

Cynthia Dickerson

This is on my facebook page.  I don't send designs this way, but I thought maybe it might help you.

Ok so to those who asked I have made SOME progress so I can get designs downloaded and sent to AcuDesign , it won’t let me do this directly as in before but ....
Ok download design on the new 13 it’s sent to files and Dropbox automatically click top right on iPad to see the downloads
Then open AcuDesign and click import button top right this opens next screen as where it’s saved , ( my page has lots I never knew of ) but then press Dropbox and the folder it’s in then import .
Yayyyyyy it worked this way... Now to work out how it will read newly added files from Dropbox .... the new ones from Emb Library eventhough saved for Dropbox folder won’t import but old ones there
This will not defeat me

😂😂😂😂

Do you sew?  Please visit my blog at www.cynsew.com for tutorials.

JILL BAILEY

Debbie my AcuEdit is in the apps to save to , have you tried downloading in the new IOS13 and seeing where it goes to , if you follow Jils previous instructions to me it will save to AcuEdit

JILL BAILEY

Cynthia I wrote that 😂😂😂😂😂

Virginia

Jill why not send it to your machine and then save to a flash drive and then to your computer?  Mine just saves into dropbox but gives me the option of the other folders.  Do you think it is your Ipad.? and not your program.  Mine seems to be working fine.  

Virginia  

Sent: Sun, Oct 13, 2019 10:01 am
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] AcuDesign and the new IOS 13

Debbie my AcuEdit is in the apps to save to , have you tried downloading in the new IOS13 and seeing where it goes to , if you follow Jils previous instructions to me it will save to AcuEdit

JILL BAILEY

Virginia , mine saves to files n Dropbox but now there is no option to save to Acudesign .. the box is not there .. and Dopbox used to be linked to Acudesign using artistic bit in Dropbox but now again no Acudesign box .. 
can u see the Acudesign box Virginia ?.. 
But now I have circumnavigated the prob but it’s long winded 
so wish Acudesign could be updated I guess .. all other apps work ie Acuedit .. it’s saving files directly to Acudesign ... 
Virginia I don’t send to the machine then save on flashdrive I have a IPAD flashdrive so save them directly by plugging into my iPad it’s brill 

Cynthia Dickerson

Oh bless your heart!!!  Lol. 

Virginia

I see what you mean now.  I did purchase 2 free designs today in Acudesign and they auto saved there and in my drop box, however the one I had purchased previously is no longer in Acudesign and just the title is in my dropbox but no designs.  Perhaps there has to be an update coming.  I do have an Ipad update today for 13.1.2.  I am doing that now.  Perhaps that will help.  What version do you have.  I have the Ipad Pro.

Sent: Mon, Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

Virginia , mine saves to files n Dropbox but now there is no option to save to Acudesign .. the box is not there .. and Dopbox used to be linked to Acudesign using artistic bit in Dropbox but now again no Acudesign box .. 
so wish Acudesign could be updated I guess .. all other apps work ie Acuedit .. it’s saving files directly to Acudesign ... 
Virginia I don’t send to the machine then save on flashdrive I have a IPAD flashdrive so save them directly by plugging into my iPad it’s brill 

JILL BAILEY

Virginia I have an old iPad Air 2 and now version 13.1 .. but it is on the update list ... 
I bought two designs and couldn’t  get them normal way to AD as when I unzip them AD and AEdit are not there .. but I can save them to Dropbox them import them from AD side , even though DB and AD are linked u cannot send ftom Dropbox to AD but you can take it ftom and to AD that way .. 
long way round but at least I can still send to my machine .. 
I hear others can’t 

I had the same experience and I just initizialized AcuDesign by closing all the previos opened windows and all my purchased designs appeared. 

El lunes, octubre 14, 2019, 2:21 p. m., Virginia via Groups.Io <Fmjfrazier@...> escribió:

I see what you mean now.  I did purchase 2 free designs today in Acudesign and they auto saved there and in my drop box, however the one I had purchased previously is no longer in Acudesign and just the title is in my dropbox but no designs.  Perhaps there has to be an update coming.  I do have an Ipad update today for 13.1.2.  I am doing that now.  Perhaps that will help.  What version do you have.  I have the Ipad Pro.

Sent: Mon, Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

Lm.zelt@...

Jill, can you explain more about what IPAD flash drive is & how it works? Thanks