Use and care of Janome 15000 Quiltmaker in HI

Carol Crisp

Subject: In Need of your wisdom
Date: September 28, 2019 at 3:19:19 PM EDT

Hello fellow Janome lovers,

My name is Carol and I live in New Hampshire, I’ve been lurking on this wonderful group since purchasing a Janome 15000 Quiltmaker about a year and half ago. The dealer that I purchased from does not offer lessons. Your group has been incredibly helpful while trying to learn this machine; so thank you all. And thank you Jim and Diane for the fantastic Apps! My husband and I are going to snowbird to HI in the winter, and I’m wondering how the 15000 will do in a warm humid climate with salt air breezes? We do not have A/C there,(we do plant to get it eventually), so the windows are always open! If you folks tell me that the machine can’t handle the climate in HI, then I’m curious if it is safe to store it in an unheated space through the winter in NH. No, the machine will not be going back and forth, it’s too cumbersome and expensive to move. Thank you for your help.

Jim Stutsman

Carol this is what I would call a "quality" problem, though millennials would likely call it a "first world problem". We're in uncharted territory here, so I'm going to give you the points I think are important:
  • It sounds like you might consider shipping the machine. Without regard to the humidity and salt air of HI, I would be more concerned about what would happen to it in shipping. Air shipment would be super pricey, and surface (ship) would be risky for water damage as well as handling damage.
  • If you do have a machine in HI, whether by shipping yours or (choke) buying a second one, I think the key is to keep it dry. Moisture is the enemy, especially if it has a little salt in it. Hopefully some coast-dwellers on this list can chime in on that.
  • The main issue I would expect to have in an unheated space through the NH winter would be the screen. The content is in liquid form, though it's not water. I have no idea what the freezing point of it would be, but I expect it can get seriously chilly up there in the dead of winter. I would consider renting a heated storage space, and maybe getting a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover it while it's out of your house.
We've got members virtually everywhere using Janome machines. How do you folks protect your precious baby from the elements?

Carol Crisp

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Jim.  You're right, it is a first world problem, and we feel so thankful to have this opportunity.  We've looked into bringing the 15000 over on the plane as oversized luggage.  It is expensive, and doubly so with the additional box for the embroidery unit! I hope to hear from others who live in a humid "salty"environment and how they manage with their machines.

Patricia Ward

Hi Carol, 
We live along a river at the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay where it normally isn’t a salty air that comes in the windows but the humidity is usually high since my sewing room sits back from mean high tide only about 30 feet. Yes I hear the waves while I am sewing. When not in use, my machine is covered with the black cover that came with it because material it is made from would be protective for the machine. That fabric is similar to some protective boat covers.  I am always sure to close the window in front of the machine at sunset when the humidity increases. 
I really think the salt would be more corrosive and harmful than the humidity itself. 

Maybe you would be able to find a machine that was used and traded in at a dealer over there. Taking that chance may be better than the battering and shipping of your prized machine. Personally with the horrible experiences I have had with the shippers, my machine would stay at home. Do you have a friend or family member who would let you store it in a corner in a heated house? 

Pat in Md. 

On Sep 28, 2019, at 7:01 PM, Carol Crisp via Groups.Io <cdcrisp@...> wrote:

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Jim.  You're right, it is a first world problem, and we feel so thankful to have this opportunity.  We've looked into bringing the 15000 over on the plane as oversized luggage.  It is expensive, and doubly so with the additional box for the embroidery unit! I hope to hear from others who live in a humid "salty"environment and how they manage with their machines.

Mary Mills

Hi, I use several mini de-humidifiers for this problem, live in humid conditions here in Australia.   I buy the electric powered ones and empty them regularly.   Regards, Mary

Carol Crisp

Thank you for ideas Pat.  I am leaning toward leaving the machine here as you suggested and will look into heated storage options.  Maybe I'll have to learn the art of Hawaiian appliqué by hand! 

Patricia Ward

Carol, that is not a bad idea.  Those Hawaiian applique quilts are beautiful.  That would certainly keep you sewing; you would learn a new beautiful technique; the end result would be something of beauty to give you good memories of a great experience.  I am sure too that they have many beautiful hand died fabrics that would work up beautifully.  And there are a lot of different patterns.  

Good idea and if you do it, please share with the group and post some pictures.  

Pat 

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Carol Crisp via Groups.Io <cdcrisp=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you for ideas Pat.  I am leaning toward leaving the machine here as you suggested and will look into heated storage options.  Maybe I'll have to learn the art of Hawaiian appliqué by hand! 

Cat - N

I moved to Florida from NH, where I lived by the river 35 miles from the coast as the crow flies.  I live a little further from both Florida coasts now, being near the middle of the state at it's narrowest section.

I did not have to protect a 15000 when our A/C went out in Florida in July and August...when the heat and humidity are about the highest...and stayed out until the new, ordered unit, finally arrived and was installed, but humidity built up inside the house quickly with doors and windows open and fans blowing.  My 100-stitch computerized Kenmore, made by Janome, did quite well, but stayed inside a 'molded plastic' case.

Our basement in NH was unheated but since underground, except for the walk-out back door, didn't reach anywhere near outdoor winter temperatures, so I had no worries about my at-the-time sewing machine being in my unheated but insulated and carpeted basement sewing room with insulated drop-ceiling tiles overhead.  We moved here in 1987, so had 4' of snow on the ground for at least 4 months, then it rained a bunch, melted all that snow, saturated the ground and everything flooded.  We lived on the aquifer, being by the river, so water came up through the basement concrete floor, too, and the sewing room vanilla white carpet grew a crop of mushrooms, but that was a one-time deal and that sewing machine did fine, too.

So, when you say 'unheated storage in NH' do you mean:

a small, uninsulated metal shed in the back yard that will have snow piled against the outside walls for months,

or

a concrete block storage unit in a larger unit in the interior of the building,

or

perhaps just left inside the home you occupy in warmer months without power turned on? 

I think I would be more worried about caustic salt and high humidity...plus shipping, of course...although I understand wanting to have the machine with you in HI.

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Sep 29, 2019 11:46 am
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Use and care of Janome 15000 Quiltmaker in HI

Thank you for ideas Pat.  I am leaning toward leaving the machine here as you suggested and will look into heated storage options.  Maybe I'll have to learn the art of Hawaiian appliqué by hand! 

Kaye Lessard

I have met the Janome dealer from Hi ! You might give him a call and ask how the machines do there!! I do have a friend who has had a 350e that she uses and I’m not sure if she has ac !! I will ask her about her machine and let you know!!!
Maybe ask the dealer in NH how he stores his machines in winter and what happens if power goes out?
Good luck and enjoy HI !!
I loved it when visiting!!!
Kaye In La

gbmko

Which island will you be living on, and where on the island? For example, I lived Leeward, in Makakilo, on Oahu, and it was quite dry. I had no issues with rust. On the Windward side, rust from salt air and dampness was a big issue! But there is an excellent Janome dealer in Honolulu to keep machines running well. And a wonderful group of ladies that meet for Janome club.

Carol Crisp

Thank you for suggesting the de-humidifiers.  I'm glad they are working for you!

Carol Crisp

Cat, I'm glad you've had good luck with your machines in the FL humidity. That's encouraging!  We are renting a standard outside storage unit that sits on a concrete slab and is sandwiched between other units on two sides, then has rolling metal doors front and back.  So, it will get pretty cold I imagine.  We are going to ask the manager is they have monitored the winter temperature in any of the units.  If it seems too cold, then I'll ask a friend to see if she can store my machine in her basement.  We are leaning toward leaving it in NH for the reasons that you mentioned.

Carol Crisp

Great idea to speak to the dealers in both places!  I look forward to hearing what your friend with the 350e says. Thank you Kaye, it's a pretty magical place.  We lived there for several years while my husband was working.  He's retired now and we are trying to figure out what we want to do with this next stage in our lives!

Carol Crisp

Funny you should mention Windward Oahu!  We live in beautiful Kailua, so you know just what the heat, humidity and salt water breezes are like!  Glad to find out about the Janome dealer in Honolulu and I will follow up with him, but it sounds like the conditions where we live could be damaging to the machine.

Cat - N

Metal will transmit cold into the interior.  If your storage unit has a 'wind tunnel' directing the cold to either metal door, it might get pretty cold in there.   If you leave it there, you might not want it to sit on the concrete floor, either. If your friend can store it for you, that might be a good idea.  Insulating it in that kind of storage might be a little tricky...not saying it couldn't be done with enough insulation...but you wouldn't know until much later.

If you were to decide to take it to HI, would it be possible for you to put in a small window A/C in the room where the machine will stay? 

I am accustomed to looking at specs and tolerances, so I looked in the v3 update...my 15000 started as a v2 and was updated to v3 Quiltmaker...for references to temperatures the machine can tolerate, etc., and I found these:

"The visual touch screen swells.
"1. The machine has exposed to high humidity and high temperature.
"Use and store the machine in a cool dry area."

(page 172)

...and:

"Store the machine in cool and dry place.
"Do not store the machine in an area of high humidity, near a radiator or in direct sunlight."

(page 170)

- Cat

To: onlinesewing-janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Sep 29, 2019 10:09 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Use and care of Janome 15000 Quiltmaker in HI

Cat, I'm glad you've had good luck with your machines in the FL humidity. That's encouraging!  We are renting a standard outside storage unit that sits on a concrete slab and is sandwiched between other units on two sides, then has rolling metal doors front and back.  So, it will get pretty cold I imagine.  We are going to ask the manager is they have monitored the winter temperature in any of the units.  If it seems too cold, then I'll ask a friend to see if she can store my machine in her basement.  We are leaning toward leaving it in NH for the reasons that you mentioned.

Lyn Quine

I’ve read this thread with interest.  I have live in the UK, but have been to Maui 3 times,  I visited a shop  and they had previously been persuaded to stock a Janome 500e, he got it out of the box for me and I was allowed to have a ‘play’, despite not having any intention of buying to take home.  We had a long conversation about the merits of the machine and I showed him pictures of some of the stuff I’d made on my various machines.  I’m going back in February and I’ll pop in again to see if he has any other machines there.  He had lots of machines for servicing of different brands, but embroidery machines weren’t that popular on Maui at the time, or he didn’t seem to think they were.  

favymtz

I've stayed out of this convesation until now because I have no experience with a high humidity climate being that I live in the opposite, a desert!
But, Thank you Cat for sharing what the Manual says about storage for our precious machines!
I would not advise anyone to store a machine in the freezing temperatures that could be expected in a storage unit in New Hampshire. Nor for that matter in a storage unit in hot Arizona!
I worked in a Janome dealership and it was horrendous what we saw coming in, when people didn't store their machines properly. 
Water leaks onto machines, hornet nests, mouse droppings. Frozen gears.
If you have a kind friend, let them keep the machine in a temperature controlled closet, is my advice.
Favymtz

Jim Stutsman

One of my more memorable machine services was an old flatbed machine that had been stored in a barn. When I took it out of the case there was a mummified mouse in it.

Cat - N

The desert would definitely have its own set of challenges.

I used to dig a hole in the snow on my deck and keep stuff temporarily...like holiday turkey/ham...that wouldn't fit in my freezer.  I lived in Dracut, MA, just a breath away from NH, and there, it got so cold that I had to remove the spark plugs from my car engine and warm them up in the oven, then there were only a few cranks of the engine before whatever moisture (condensation) had escaped the dry gas in the gas tank froze on the spark plugs again.  Here in Florida, during the humid season...which is many months long...if your gills don't kick in quickly, you could drown, running across the parking lot to your car...LOL   I am so grateful for (even though pricey) heat and A/C so I don't have to worry about things like my precious Janome machines suffering inclimate weather conditions!

- Cat

I've stayed out of this convesation until now because I have no experience with a high humidity climate being that I live in the opposite, a desert!
But, Thank you Cat for sharing what the Manual says about storage for our precious machines!
I would not advise anyone to store a machine in the freezing temperatures that could be expected in a storage unit in New Hampshire. Nor for that matter in a storage unit in hot Arizona!
I worked in a Janome dealership and it was horrendous what we saw coming in, when people didn't store their machines properly. 
Water leaks onto machines, hornet nests, mouse droppings. Frozen gears.
If you have a kind friend, let them keep the machine in a temperature controlled closet, is my advice.
Favymtz

Cat - N

Heh heh heh...I hear you! 

As an IT professional, I have seen 'a few' oddities, too.  I have photos of a 'petrified lizard' sitting on a desk next to the phone.  I went there because there was a 'service ticket' for "no connectivity on the desktop PC" but "the laptop worked fine on that CAT5 wall jack" (took a replacement NIC and cables with me, port tester, etc., I did)...and found the user was in the habit of unplugging the desktop PC's ethernet cable from the wall jack and plugging it INTO her laptop PC when she came into the office from out in the field (she was a therapist at a "mental health and substance abuse hospital" working with children...seriously!). 

The desktop was 'prohibited' from logging into the network since it was plugged into the laptop's NIC and sending a signal that was going nowhere, but the laptop was communicating just fine because it was logged into the network via it's WiFi, so the laptop would have worked ANYWHERE in the building. 

I showed the cable to the user and suggested she just leave the desktop PC plugged into the wall jack, since it worked fine with a wire that went all the way to the server, instead of plugging it into her laptop, and explained the laptop did not need a wire at all...after which she told me, "that is NOT what I did...I am not an idiot"...contradicted only by a cable and a petrified lizard. 

It's probably a good thing for dealers that the Janome's don't have internal NICs in addition to WiFi...

- Cat (FL)

One of my more memorable machine services was an old flatbed machine that had been stored in a barn. When I took it out of the case there was a mummified mouse in it.