Use and care of Janome 15000 Quiltmaker in HI

Carol Crisp

From: Carol Crisp <cdcrisp@...>
Subject: In Need of your wisdom
Date: September 28, 2019 at 3:19:19 PM EDT

Hello fellow Janome lovers,

My name is Carol and I live in New Hampshire, I’ve been lurking on this wonderful group since purchasing a Janome 15000 Quiltmaker about a year and half ago. The dealer that I purchased from does not offer lessons. Your group has been incredibly helpful while trying to learn this machine; so thank you all. And thank you Jim and Diane for the fantastic Apps! My husband and I are going to snowbird to HI in the winter, and I’m wondering how the 15000 will do in a warm humid climate with salt air breezes? We do not have A/C there,(we do plant to get it eventually), so the windows are always open! If you folks tell me that the machine can’t handle the climate in HI, then I’m curious if it is safe to store it in an unheated space through the winter in NH. No, the machine will not be going back and forth, it’s too cumbersome and expensive to move. Thank you for your help.

Jim Stutsman

Carol this is what I would call a "quality" problem, though millennials would likely call it a "first world problem". We're in uncharted territory here, so I'm going to give you the points I think are important:
  • It sounds like you might consider shipping the machine. Without regard to the humidity and salt air of HI, I would be more concerned about what would happen to it in shipping. Air shipment would be super pricey, and surface (ship) would be risky for water damage as well as handling damage.
  • If you do have a machine in HI, whether by shipping yours or (choke) buying a second one, I think the key is to keep it dry. Moisture is the enemy, especially if it has a little salt in it. Hopefully some coast-dwellers on this list can chime in on that.
  • The main issue I would expect to have in an unheated space through the NH winter would be the screen. The content is in liquid form, though it's not water. I have no idea what the freezing point of it would be, but I expect it can get seriously chilly up there in the dead of winter. I would consider renting a heated storage space, and maybe getting a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover it while it's out of your house.
We've got members virtually everywhere using Janome machines. How do you folks protect your precious baby from the elements?

Carol Crisp

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Jim.  You're right, it is a first world problem, and we feel so thankful to have this opportunity.  We've looked into bringing the 15000 over on the plane as oversized luggage.  It is expensive, and doubly so with the additional box for the embroidery unit! I hope to hear from others who live in a humid "salty"environment and how they manage with their machines.

Patricia Ward

Hi Carol,
We live along a river at the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay where it normally isn’t a salty air that comes in the windows but the humidity is usually high since my sewing room sits back from mean high tide only about 30 feet. Yes I hear the waves while I am sewing. When not in use, my machine is covered with the black cover that came with it because material it is made from would be protective for the machine. That fabric is similar to some protective boat covers.  I am always sure to close the window in front of the machine at sunset when the humidity increases.
I really think the salt would be more corrosive and harmful than the humidity itself.

Maybe you would be able to find a machine that was used and traded in at a dealer over there. Taking that chance may be better than the battering and shipping of your prized machine. Personally with the horrible experiences I have had with the shippers, my machine would stay at home. Do you have a friend or family member who would let you store it in a corner in a heated house?

Pat in Md.

On Sep 28, 2019, at 7:01 PM, Carol Crisp via Groups.Io <cdcrisp@...> wrote:

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Jim.  You're right, it is a first world problem, and we feel so thankful to have this opportunity.  We've looked into bringing the 15000 over on the plane as oversized luggage.  It is expensive, and doubly so with the additional box for the embroidery unit! I hope to hear from others who live in a humid "salty"environment and how they manage with their machines.

Mary Mills

Hi, I use several mini de-humidifiers for this problem, live in humid conditions here in Australia.   I buy the electric powered ones and empty them regularly.   Regards, Mary

Carol Crisp

Thank you for ideas Pat.  I am leaning toward leaving the machine here as you suggested and will look into heated storage options.  Maybe I'll have to learn the art of Hawaiian appliqué by hand!

Patricia Ward

Carol, that is not a bad idea.  Those Hawaiian applique quilts are beautiful.  That would certainly keep you sewing; you would learn a new beautiful technique; the end result would be something of beauty to give you good memories of a great experience.  I am sure too that they have many beautiful hand died fabrics that would work up beautifully.  And there are a lot of different patterns.

Good idea and if you do it, please share with the group and post some pictures.

Pat

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Carol Crisp via Groups.Io <cdcrisp=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you for ideas Pat.  I am leaning toward leaving the machine here as you suggested and will look into heated storage options.  Maybe I'll have to learn the art of Hawaiian appliqué by hand!

Cat - N

I moved to Florida from NH, where I lived by the river 35 miles from the coast as the crow flies.  I live a little further from both Florida coasts now, being near the middle of the state at it's narrowest section.

I did not have to protect a 15000 when our A/C went out in Florida in July and August...when the heat and humidity are about the highest...and stayed out until the new, ordered unit, finally arrived and was installed, but humidity built up inside the house quickly with doors and windows open and fans blowing.  My 100-stitch computerized Kenmore, made by Janome, did quite well, but stayed inside a 'molded plastic' case.

Our basement in NH was unheated but since underground, except for the walk-out back door, didn't reach anywhere near outdoor winter temperatures, so I had no worries about my at-the-time sewing machine being in my unheated but insulated and carpeted basement sewing room with insulated drop-ceiling tiles overhead.  We moved here in 1987, so had 4' of snow on the ground for at least 4 months, then it rained a bunch, melted all that snow, saturated the ground and everything flooded.  We lived on the aquifer, being by the river, so water came up through the basement concrete floor, too, and the sewing room vanilla white carpet grew a crop of mushrooms, but that was a one-time deal and that sewing machine did fine, too.

So, when you say 'unheated storage in NH' do you mean:

a small, uninsulated metal shed in the back yard that will have snow piled against the outside walls for months,

or

a concrete block storage unit in a larger unit in the interior of the building,

or

perhaps just left inside the home you occupy in warmer months without power turned on?

I think I would be more worried about caustic salt and high humidity...plus shipping, of course...although I understand wanting to have the machine with you in HI.

- Cat (FL)

From: Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...>