Topics

Glass Fusible Beads

June E Hudspeth

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

Cheryl Watson

Did you contact the designer?

On Jun 24, 2019, at 4:47 PM, June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

Carolyn Gazerro

Cindy Sipp <Cindyssipp@...>

Put the beads on after the quilt is totally finished.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 7:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

Barbara Castle

Could it have been”fused” glass beads? When I googled what you were asked no for, this was one of the choices.

Barbara

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

Vikki Youngmeyer

Having just put beads on an ornament project, practice before putting them on a quilt. I made the mistake of putting them too close to each other which made the unit pooch! I also found that taking a stitch putting on a bead then attaching that to the fabric followed up by a stitch that had no bead locked in the bead. So in other words stitch,  put on bead, stitch no bead, then stitch with a bead  - repeat! I found out from experimentation that an additional stitch after the bead stabilized the previous stitches.

As for the window, I would throw the onus back on her to provide the glass fusible beads! An alternate solution would be to use a bright yellow or yellow/orange batik and blow off the glass fusible beads. You can’t work with what you can’t get; but a backup plan is always handy!

Put the beads on after the quilt is totally finished.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 7:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

June E Hudspeth

I tried, but no success.  I bought this pattern at a Quilting Expo and the shop that sells it; Quilters Cove out of Oregon isn’t either in business anymore, or they don’t maintain a website.  They have a FB page, but no activity since 2018.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

June E Hudspeth

OMG – those are beautiful!

They appear to be already fused 😊.

But, I thank you so much.

Put the beads on after the quilt is totally finished.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 7:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

June E Hudspeth

No, they are beads, that when you iron them, they become flat and fused together, just like glass.

Could it have been”fused” glass beads? When I googled what you were asked no for, this was one of the choices.

Barbara

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

Charles Maier

What about fusible rhinestones. They are very reflective.
Karen

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 07:26:40 AM CDT, June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

No, they are beads, that when you iron them, they become flat and fused together, just like glass.

Could it have been”fused” glass beads? When I googled what you were asked no for, this was one of the choices.

Barbara

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

June E Hudspeth

Thank you for the “great suggestions”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I will go with a batik fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Much easier and less stress 😊.

Thanks again,

June

[...]

Thanks Karen.  Great idea.

I will check it out.

Could it have been”fused” glass beads? When I googled what you were asked no for, this was one of the choices.

Barbara

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

June E Hudspeth

Thanks Charles – I am looking into this!

Could it have been”fused” glass beads? When I googled what you were asked no for, this was one of the choices.

Barbara

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:  I am starting to make an applique lighthouse quilt and the designer says she used glass fusible beads for the window.  As hard as I've tried, I cannot find them anywhere.  I searched Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels and Fire Mountain Gems.

I've never even used them before.

Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks so much!  June

Carolyn Gazerro

Swarovski has Hotfix Rhinestones that come in various sizes and shapes and have beautiful “fire” in them. As I understand they cut their stones with more facets to give the effect. It is best to use a applicator tool to apply them but it can be done with an iron.

Carolyn 🌹

June E Hudspeth

Thank you so much Carolyn!

I will look into this!

Swarovski has Hotfix Rhinestones that come in various sizes and shapes and have beautiful “fire” in them. As I understand they cut their stones with more facets to give the effect. It is best to use a applicator tool to apply them but it can be done with an iron.

Carolyn 🌹

J Fraker

I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but there are lots of fusible beads listed on eBay.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:14 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:
Thank you so much Carolyn!

I will look into this!