Bobbin question

Lorrie Gauthier

I did read the thread about the bobbins with J on them so I started looking through mine. I have a million. Most are blank but I do have some that look similar to the J but they have a B on them. The edges on the J & B look more flat on the edges than the others.

Any suggestions?

Jim Stutsman

The bobbins marked with 'B' are genuine Janome, but were made before they started infusing the plastic with rubber. There may be some J bobbins like that as well. I don't know if the J stamp was done for the rubber-infused ones, or if it was in use before that. No suggestions - just use and enjoy!

Ceil J

I bought a box of pink Janome bobbins and a box of blue supposedly so I could tell apart the cotton and poly thread (but you can really tell just by looking at the thread).  Anyway, the pink have the J and the blue do not.  I put them behind my back and felt them to see if they had a different "flex" or if I could tell them apart by how they feel and I could not.  They look the same except for the J and they both work the same.  I've never had a problem with class 15 bobbins and have an assortment dating back to the 80's. After the discussions about the so-called superior J bobbins I went through my collection and found a few with the J but most do not have it.  I even found one with a "9" or "6" on it.  I have a prewound pack of Janome bobbins that don't have the J. Some do tend to have a very slight curve towards the center and others do seem flat but they all seem to work well.  When I first had my MC6000 (New Home) in the late 80's I even used metal bobbins in it before I found out several years ago that this was a no-no.  I would never put a metal bobbin in my 15000 but I never had a problem with the 6000 and it still runs like a dream (but no more metal bobbins!)

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 9:56 PM onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The bobbins marked with 'B' are genuine Janome, but were made before they started infusing the plastic with rubber. There may be some J bobbins like that as well. I don't know if the J stamp was done for the rubber-infused ones, or if it was in use before that. No suggestions - just use and enjoy!

Jim Stutsman

The bobbins with rubber infusion don't flex any more than the plain ones, but I can feel a difference when sliding a finger over the surface of the bobbin. The rubber-infused ones are not quite a slick, which is the intent. It makes the bobbin a little more "grippy" in the bobbin case.

The prohibition on using metal bobbins in a top-loading Janome machine stems from the magnet holding the bobbin case in place. Plastic bobbins are immune to the pull of the magnet, but metal bobbins could drag a bit, resulting in slightly increased bobbin tension. Over the years I had MANY customers that used metal and plastic bobbins interchangeably, most because a particular bobbin might already be wound with the needed thread color. None had any machine problems as a result. A metal bobbin won't make your machine blow up, and it may not produce any effect you can observe. However if you have a vast collection of metal bobbins salvaged from great-grandma's box of sewing stuff retrieved from the barn, and they are coated with a generous patina of rust, chuck them out!

And while we're on the subject of bobbins, let's address those precious "rainbow" bobbins in your sewing cabinet. You know, the ones that have 5 different colors of thread wound on them because you couldn't find an empty one when you needed it. The amount of money saved by doing this is almost certainly not worth the time lost fiddling with them. Money spent on empty bobbins is always a good investment!

Marilyn Fleming

I have both red and blue bobbins and they both have the J on them. I got them at Amazon.

Marilyn
Sent from my ipad

On Apr 14, 2019, at 11:41 AM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

HEATHER COWAN

I love that Janome has three colors of bobbins easily available. Wish they had a few more. I wind piecing thread on blue bobbins, embroidery bobbin thread on the pink ones and garment/other bobbin thread on the clear ones. I don’t have to guess which white thread is on the bobbin ..... which is good because there is a 66% chance I’d guess wrong. Garment bobbin thread used when doing embroidery does not lend itself to a good outcome.
Hugs Heather

J Fraker

I bought some of the blue and the pink Janome bobbins. They were the rubber infused kind.  I could not use them in my 12000.  It's like the rubber in them was causing them to stick to the bobbin case and they kept jumping up and down as I was sewing.  My machine would skip stitches or end up with thread nests.  I went back to the regular plastic bobbins and everything works fine.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 11:23 AM Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:
[...]

Wow .... I use them in both my 15000 and 9900 and they are great.  Wonder what was different about that pesky 12000.  I’m sorry you had a problem with the pink and blue.
Heather

On Apr 14, 2019, at 20:11, J Fraker <frakersfunnyfarm@...> wrote:

[...]

CynthiaRunsWithScissors

I have noticed lately I have had issues with the pink bobbins breaking when I embroider. I self wind them with Janome bobbin thread. My clear bobbins I self wind with other brands of bobbin thread for regular sewing because when I try to embroider with non-Janome bobbin thread I've had issues. First I hear a clunk then I remove the hoop to find a large bird's nest trying to embroider. Then when I remove the bobbin to inspect a piece has broken off in a diagonal. Of course my issues always seem to happen when I'm in a hurry or with someone else - lol. This past weekend I was embroidering a Minkee Pals bunny with my granddaughter, and of course, had to tear out his nose 3 times before I realized the bobbin had cracked and then broken when I removed it. Fortunately I was able to continue on without issues to finish it before her bedtime. That is a very cute pattern if any of you have not heard of it. Here's a link to purchase it. They are tiny cuddly animals.

https://www.embroideryonline.com/products/designs/non-licensed-collections/minkee-pals-1/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw19DlBRCSARIsAOnfRejCBWxodurs9ewSsuiIm72v6CrYpB1U3X4dhAZlC6mxgb2xnmXC5nkaApPFEALw_wcB

Cynthia from sunny but windy Virginia

blue_lak

My 12000 doesn't have any problem with the pink, blue, or clear Janome bobbins. However, it does not like the generic class 15 plastic bobbins I sometimes use in my old Kenmore, which actually prefers the metal ones.
Jan

Anne Parker

I've bought bobbins in the UK, both with and without the J, and and several boxes of coloured ones from China (useful for different threads - cotton, polyester, embroidery, specific bobbin thread etc, plus different weight threads).   The occasional one or 2 of the Chinese ones have too small a central hole to fit on the winder but apart from that I have had no issue with any of them.  I've also reused some of the pre-wound bobbins after I've refilled them and again no issue - plus I've used bobbins from my old Elna Diva at times when they have the right thread on them.

All work fine in my 15000

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion"  Martha Graham

Lorrie Gauthier

I've gone through the couple of hundred bobbins I have and pulled out the J, B and nice looking bobbins. I really don't need that many. LOL  And I have a box of pink ones.

I also found that I have plastic bobbin boxes that have sponge in them and and hold 10. Three that say Janome on the top and one that says Kenmore. That comes from my mom's machine from the 70s and the Janome ones came with my machines starting with my MC 6000.