Topics

iron cleaning

Sherryl Doran

I inadvertently touched a hot iron to polyester batting. Does anyone know how to remove the residue from my iron? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone. Neither had any effect.

Lyn Quine

They say rubbing the base of a warm/heated iron with a paracetamol tablet , use a cloth obviously, in the States it would be Acetaminophen.  It helps to remove more than just headaches!  Lol

candy

When I got gunk on my iron—I managed to get it off with a paste of baking soda

On Apr 6, 2019, at 4:21 PM, Sherryl Doran via Groups.Io <crafttwoman@...> wrote:

I inadvertently touched a hot iron to polyester batting. Does anyone know how to remove the residue from my iron? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone. Neither had any effect.

Claire Schutz

Look in the housekeeping department in grocery store, there is iron cleaner in a tube, don't remember name, Claire S

On 4/6/2019 3:21 PM, Sherryl Doran via Groups.Io wrote:
I inadvertently touched a hot iron to polyester batting. Does anyone know how to remove the residue from my iron? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone. Neither had any effect.

Estelle Torpy

I have had good results with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Estelle

On Apr 6, 2019, at 2:21 PM, Sherryl Doran via Groups.Io <crafttwoman@...> wrote:

I inadvertently touched a hot iron to polyester batting. Does anyone know how to remove the residue from my iron? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone. Neither had any effect.

J Fraker

You can buy hot iron cleaner at most stores including Walmart. Just look in place where they sell irons. It works very well.

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019, 4:44 PM Sherryl Doran via Groups.Io <crafttwoman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I inadvertently touched a hot iron to polyester batting. Does anyone know how to remove the residue from my iron? I tried alcohol and Goo Gone. Neither had any effect.

Cindy

I have found great success w WD40. On a cool iron.

Cindy Swenson 218-838-4090

Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] iron cleaning
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 5:50 PM

Groups.Io wrote:

I inadvertently touched a hot iron to polyester
batting. Does
anyone know how to remove the residue from my iron? I
tried
alcohol and Goo Gone. Neither had any effect.

Lucy Akers

Iron over and over on a dryer sheet. Might take more than one if really gunked.

bhd02@...

I can remove most gunk on a hot iron with a wad of waxed paper. Just be careful with your fingers.

Atemkeng Denis <denatem@...>

Apply wet baking soda on the bottom of the iron (warm) and leave for sometime. Then wipe it off with a soft cloth.
Denis

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019, 10:20:22 PM GMT+3, <bhd02@...> wrote:

I can remove most gunk on a hot iron with a wad of waxed paper. Just be careful with your fingers.

Maria Morrow

I have found that the base of the iron affects what comes off easily. With my cheap $10 iron with a coated plate (not shiny steel), I heat I up, then as it is cooling, when it’s still quite warm but not cold, I use a wet Magic Eraser and everything comes off. With my also cheap, but $30 iron with a stainless steel plate, it took the whole house worth of solutions to get scorched starch off of it.

Maria Morrow, Treasurer
Camellia Quilters
Mobile:  985-640-5024