quilting on my 12000

Sherryl Doran

I am trying to quilt a baby quilt on my 12000 with a GR size hoop, using Amelie Scott's Edge-to-Edge Quilting software in the embroidery function. The difficulty I have is in trying to secure the hoop with the four magnetized "clips" or whatever they are called. No matter how tight or loose I make the frame, these clips are very hard to get to stay in place, popping off suddenly, even after I have begun to quilt. While it is somewhat entertaining when they do this, it is also frustrating that I can't seem to get them to stay on. This is not a particularly thick quilt, two layers of flannel and a layer of polyester batting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it easier to hoop a quilt for this type of project? I have used this system before with varying levels of difficulty getting the project hooped. Thanks!

rckab@...

If you can get the magnets from the 11000, they are longer and work better than the short ones.

juliadlf.ny@...

I never quilted in the hoop with the GR hoop when I had the 12000. I had purchased the Acufil kit which has more magnets (8) that
come with the included hoop. I don't think that 4 magnets that you get with the GR is sufficient to hold a quilt sandwich, but that is just my opinion.
Not sure if Janome sells extra magnets. Worth googling to see if you can buy the magnets separate.
Good luck.

Sherryl Doran

I will see what I can find, thank you. I do have more of the magnets, same size and small ones. I just tried to put an additional magnet on and none of them stayed on any better, using one or two. So I don't know if a longer one would work anyway. But thanks for the suggestion.

Sherryl Doran

I do have more magnets, but never thought about putting more than one on at each place. I just tried it both with a smaller magnet and one of the same size. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help them to stay on any better, but thanks for the suggestion.

Liz Brodsky

I successfully use the accufil hoop.  It is designed enable quilting with large magnets. https://www.janome.com/accessories/hoops/acufil-quilting-kit/

blue_lak

I have done AS's edge to edge on small quilts in the GR hoop, but used the clip-on magnets that came with the Accu-quilt ASQ22 hoop. It's a thin hoop, so you have to use a really thin batting (or just a layer of flannel) with the outer hoop opened a LOT. This puts stress on the hoop, but it can be done with the clip-on magnets from the ASQ22 to hold everything together securely. The magnets aren't connecting with the magnets on the hoop. It's the bottom edges of the magnets that clip over and down to hold everything together. The Janome website video shows how they're used, and you can purchase the magnets without buying the AccuQuilt hoop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_OMo2QYIM
Jan

Sherryl Doran

Thanks, these are the hoops I have.

Sherryl Doran

Thanks, I do have the ASQ22 hoop, but it was too small for the design I chose. Maybe this machine was not really meant for quilting a crib or larger size quilt. I think it is where seams meet on the quilt top that the magnets have the most trouble staying on. I mentioned it could be somewhat entertaining when they pop off suddenly. I have actually had to hunt for a couple of them.

blue_lak

When I did this, I could see that the GR hoop magnets wouldn't hold the quilt sandwich, even as thin as it was. That was when I tried the ASQ22 magnets and they did clip over it all and stayed. And yes, even those magnets didn't want to go over seams so I made sure to avoid them.
Jan

Sherryl Doran

My machine was used when I bought it from an individual and it came with several hoops and the "stuff" that comes with them: plastic overlay, magnets. I have two sizes of magnets. Small ones about an inch long and larger ones, about 3 inches. I do not know which were supposed to be with which hoop as it all came together. But I have tried using both sizes with varying results. I find my best success is to open the hoop frame very wide and hope I can get the magnets to stay on. Thanks for all the help everybody! I finished quilting the quilt today. Now just need to go back and "fix" some things, like where the machine made a rat's nest of thread on the back and where the pattern ran off the edge.