Quilting on Steam a Seam II Lite

Gail

This is a cross post.  I also put it on Janome 15000 virtual guild  on FB.

I need some help. I am trying to quilt a Laura Heine collage quilt. It's a giraffe and I really love it. It is a collage of flowers making up the giraffe. The flowers are stuck to the quilt using Steam a Seam II Lite. I have never used this product before but it was recommended in the pattern. When I quilt the background area of the quilt, everything is ok, but when I go over the flowers with the steam a seam, I get looonnng skipped stitches and/or the thread breaks. I am using a Schmetz super anti stick needle but the needle is still sticky. Don't know what to do . Please help.

Nyssa Lanzafame

hi, i cannot tel if anyone has replied.  i have had this happen and was bummed.  I got through it, but not fun.  I sprayed silicon spray, onto a little rag, and then applied to needle.  i kept it right by the machine and applied it every few minutes to reduce stick and gunk build up. hope this helps.  i then never used the steam a seam again where i would be sewing. i will put a small bit to hold piece in place in the middle of applique where it will not be sewn.  i am not sure what all of the art quilters do to make it work better.

Lyn Quine

Many machine embroiderers use 505 temporary adhesive, just a light spray applied to the hoop away from the machine to hold applique pieces and it doesnt seem to gunge up the needle, advantage being its repositionable.  I don’t know if it is available all over the world or just here in the UK, im sure there are temporary fabri glues availableunder different names.  Ive never heard of or used steam a seam, but I now know not to use it.  Thank you for the heads up.

Vikki Youngmeyer

If you are looking for a temporary glue that isn’t a spray – UHU Stic adhesive is a glue stick. I use it when doing applique in the embroidery hoop. I have no luck spraying any glue on small embroidery applique pieces without it getting the spray on everything else!

Vikki

Houston, TX