Quilting on Steam a Seam II Lite

Gail

This is a cross post.  I also put it on Janome 15000 virtual guild  on FB.

I need some help. I am trying to quilt a Laura Heine collage quilt. It's a giraffe and I really love it. It is a collage of flowers making up the giraffe. The flowers are stuck to the quilt using Steam a Seam II Lite. I have never used this product before but it was recommended in the pattern. When I quilt the background area of the quilt, everything is ok, but when I go over the flowers with the steam a seam, I get looonnng skipped stitches and/or the thread breaks. I am using a Schmetz super anti stick needle but the needle is still sticky. Don't know what to do . Please help.

Nyssa Lanzafame

hi, i cannot tel if anyone has replied.  i have had this happen and was bummed.  I got through it, but not fun.  I sprayed silicon spray, onto a little rag, and then applied to needle.  i kept it right by the machine and applied it every few minutes to reduce stick and gunk build up. hope this helps.  i then never used the steam a seam again where i would be sewing. i will put a small bit to hold piece in place in the middle of applique where it will not be sewn.  i am not sure what all of the art quilters do to make it work better.

Lyn Quine

Many machine embroiderers use 505 temporary adhesive, just a light spray applied to the hoop away from the machine to hold applique pieces and it doesnt seem to gunge up the needle, advantage being its repositionable.  I don’t know if it is available all over the world or just here in the UK, im sure there are temporary fabri glues availableunder different names.  Ive never heard of or used steam a seam, but I now know not to use it.  Thank you for the heads up.

Vikki Youngmeyer

If you are looking for a temporary glue that isn’t a spray – UHU Stic adhesive is a glue stick. I use it when doing applique in the embroidery hoop. I have no luck spraying any glue on small embroidery applique pieces without it getting the spray on everything else!

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lyn Quine
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 1:59 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Quilting on Steam a Seam II Lite

Many machine embroiderers use 505 temporary adhesive, just a light spray applied to the hoop away from the machine to hold applique pieces and it doesnt seem to gunge up the needle, advantage being its repositionable.  I don’t know if it is available all over the world or just here in the UK, im sure there are temporary fabri glues availableunder different names.  Ive never heard of or used steam a seam, but I now know not to use it.  Thank you for the heads up.

Cheryl Alm

Kk2000 is a temporary spray adhesive and is non- toxic.

On Mar 18, 2019, at 6:00 PM, Vikki Youngmeyer <vikkiy@...> wrote:

If you are looking for a temporary glue that isn’t a spray – UHU Stic adhesive is a glue stick. I use it when doing applique in the embroidery hoop. I have no luck spraying any glue on small embroidery applique pieces without it getting the spray on everything else!

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lyn Quine
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 1:59 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Quilting on Steam a Seam II Lite

Lou Ann

I've seen Elmer's school glue used in YouTube videos (in the tube paste not liquid in the bottle) that is heat set after it's applied to the fabric. She used a smallish size iron that would fit in the hoop. It washes out when you're all done. To be honest I haven't tried it, yet, so don't know if it will gum up the needle or not. I'm pretty sure school glue is way cheaper than anything advertised for embroidery use so I plan on doing a practice piece after I'm done with my current project.

Pauline Dickerson

I use Elmers School glue for everything, as long as you iron it dry there is no problem with gumming the needle or sewing thru it and it washes
out. 

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:37 AM Lou Ann <louannbush@...> wrote:
I've seen Elmer's school glue used in YouTube videos (in the tube paste not liquid in the bottle) that is heat set after it's applied to the fabric. She used a smallish size iron that would fit in the hoop. It washes out when you're all done. To be honest I haven't tried it, yet, so don't know if it will gum up the needle or not. I'm pretty sure school glue is way cheaper than anything advertised for embroidery use so I plan on doing a practice piece after I'm done with my current project.

Marsha

are you sure it was steam a seam II Lite?  I’ve never had this problem with it but have had it with other brands with heavier adhesives especially the heat N bond ultrahold.  I’ve used the heat n bond lite without problems, too.  I also had this problem with a fusible batting from bosal that had heavy adhesive.

hth,

Marsha

Judy Jackson

I have used steam a seam 2 for years with no problems. 

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 20:01, Marsha <hobbied1@...> wrote:
are you sure it was steam a seam II Lite?  I’ve never had this problem with it but have had it with other brands with heavier adhesives especially the heat N bond ultrahold.  I’ve used the heat n bond lite without problems, too.  I also had this problem with a fusible batting from bosal that had heavy adhesive.

hth,

Marsha

sharynn

I like Steam A Seam Light it isn’t as heavy and doesn’t seem to mess up like the heavy stabilizer do.  You can also use alcohol to clean your needles.

On Mar 18, 2019, at 2:58 PM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

Many machine embroiderers use 505 temporary adhesive, just a light spray applied to the hoop away from the machine to hold applique pieces and it doesnt seem to gunge up the needle, advantage being its repositionable.  I don’t know if it is available all over the world or just here in the UK, im sure there are temporary fabri glues availableunder different names  Ive never heard of or used steam a seam, but I now know not to use it.  Thank you for the heads up.

Ceil J

I use Wash Away Wonder Tape all the time now.  It's great as it's double sided.  I stopped using it as I thought it wasn't working very well but it turns out that I just didn't close the end of the roll properly and caused it to lose its stick.  It's great for basting things together before sewing.

Barbara Thater

I also have had no problems with Steam A Seam  as well as the lite.  But I was teaching an applique class one time where one of my students was using a pressing sheet that was having a chemical reaction with the steam a seam (this gunked up the needle terrible and every few minuts we had to wash down the needle with rubbing alcohol).  She started using a different one and everything was good.  Everyone else in the class had no problem. 

Cheryl Paul

I have also used Steam-a-Seam for years and have never had a needle gum up. You need to make sure that it is well glued so that the Steam-a-Seam is melted well - at least 10 seconds or more to really hold it down or longer if the fabric is quite thick.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Claire Schutz

Also, Claire Rowley sells a glue for this purpose, think it may be a temp hold and that should work for applique as she does. Check it out, sounded good, I haven't used this but intend to get some, Claire S.  Creativefeet.com

On 3/19/2019 9:18 PM, Ceil J wrote:
I use Wash Away Wonder Tape all the time now.  It's great as it's double sided.  I stopped using it as I thought it wasn't working very well but it turns out that I just didn't close the end of the roll properly and caused it to lose its stick.  It's great for basting things together before sewing.

thequiltedpeppers@...

I use the glue from Clare and have for the past several years. I love it and it works for everything