New Owner of a used Janome 6500 Memorycraft - March 2019

srd.sonborne@...

Just trying to connect with other sewers who have this machine. I'm a Quilter and purchased a "used" 6500 just 6 months ago. I had been using a computerized Kenmore - but it wasn't performing how I needed it to for machine quilting.
So - I decided this was the edition that would work best for me. I wanted the 1)knee lift, 2) the thread cutter, and 3) needle up/down and wider throat.
I'd appreciate hearing from other 6500 users.
Thanks.

Randi Kemper

-- I have had mine for years and I love it! Never had a problkem with it,

Randi Kemper
Magical Machine Embroidery

srd.sonborne@...

Good to hear and thank you for responding. Do you use it for machine quilting? That's the main reason I wanted another machine - because the Kenmore was just being strained to its max. I'm hoping this 6500 is a bit sturdier. Anyway, I'm a slow quilter - producing a quilt or two every year or two. I'm also elderly so I'm more methodocial and careful. I've just installed the even feed foot yesterday and it worked great on a sampler quilt I'm using for testing. I'm about to install the darning/quilting foot and see how it performs on free motion quilting. Any tips you may give me would be most appreciated.

Vikki Youngmeyer

I had a 6500 and ran it into the ground! It took a while! Any 6500s out there now are used and the 6600 and 6700 have replaced that model. The older 6600s are a lot better than the 6500s.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of srd.sonborne@...
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2019 3:04 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] New Owner of a used Janome 6500 Memorycraft - March 2019

Good to hear and thank you for responding. Do you use it for machine quilting? That's the main reason I wanted another machine - because the Kenmore was just being strained to its max. I'm hoping this 6500 is a bit sturdier. Anyway, I'm a slow quilter - producing a quilt or two every year or two. I'm also elderly so I'm more methodocial and careful. I've just installed the even feed foot yesterday and it worked great on a sampler quilt I'm using for testing. I'm about to install the darning/quilting foot and see how it performs on free motion quilting. Any tips you may give me would be most appreciated.

srd.sonborne@...

Yes, this 6500 is "used," but refurbished with a 3-year warranty by the dealership. I'm 81 years old - so I may, or may not, outlast the warranty!! LOL

Anyway, for me, it's a huge difference from my old Kenmore - for machine quilting anyway - which is the main reason why I purchased it. I didn't need it for straight stitching or piecing. But it's the machine quilting, especially free motion quilting, which needs a precision machine. And after taking my first free motion stitches today, I already know it's head and shoulders above the old Kenmore. So - it's an excellent buy for me - especially with the warranty.

Cheryl Alm

I bought a brand new 6500 in September.   I owned one several years ago and traded it when I bought my 12000.  This is an awesome machine.  I also owned a 6600 but prefer the 6500.  Just checked Amazon and there are still a few for sale.

On Mar 17, 2019, at 7:02 PM, Vikki Youngmeyer <vikkiy@...> wrote:

I had a 6500 and ran it into the ground! It took a while! Any 6500s out there now are used and the 6600 and 6700 have replaced that model. The older 6600s are a lot better than the 6500s.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of srd.sonborne@...
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] New Owner of a used Janome 6500 Memorycraft - March 2019

srd.sonborne@...

I thought I replied. Maybe it's still under approval. Yes, this 6500 is a "used" machine - but totally refurbished with a 3-year warranty.

Betsy

My 6500 is 17 years old and I still use it almost everyday.  It has only needed service once 15 years ago.

It is a true workhorse and I love it for piecing, dress making, and home décor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2019 4:02 PM

Vikki

Houston, TX

srd.sonborne@...

I'm so happy to hear from other 6500 owners - and that it has been a workhorse. I wish I had bought it sooner. But "better late, than never." I saw the 6500 on Amazon at a very good price - but I went to a dealership very close to my home - under 2 miles away - to ask what kind of a deal they could offer. They met the Amazon price - actually it was lower because it was a "used" machine - but with the Warranty, it brought it up to the same price. It was too good a deal to pass up. And I wouldn't have had the same Warranty from Amazon. Anyway, it's done now and I'll be sewing on it a little probably most days of the week. I'm still waiting to hear from quilters, though, and how the free motion quilting works for them on this machine.

Lyn Quine

I have the 6600P which is very similar to your 6500, i have quilted on it, but only using the walking foot, not free motion, and it is very good.  Janome machines are easy to use, and i have done free motion on my other machines and they have all worked well.  I have fitted the adjustable foot and attached the ruler foot to it on the 6600, and with rulers is excellent, so I suppose that is similar to free motion, its a guided free motion.  I think you can use the ruler foot for free motion too.  

I find white wine for white and cream fabrics, rose for pastels an red for darks works very well too, relaxes the shoulders........

Carole Schneider

I have had a 6500 since they first came out. My husband actually won it for me 😊I love,love,love this machine! It is a workhorse! I expect one day it will wear out and finding a replacement will not be fun! I don’t quilt anything bigger than a placemat so not sure how well it will do larger items but it is a great machine!

m.drozdis

I am the owner of a 6500 that is still going strong. I’m 79, and I do expect my machine to outlast me. I think you’ll get a lot of use and happiness out of your purchase.

MarieD

On March 17, 2019 at 7:56 PM srd.sonborne@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, this 6500 is "used," but refurbished with a 3-year warranty by the dealership. I'm 81 years old - so I may, or may not, outlast the warranty!!

HEATHER COWAN

Costco has the MC6500 for sale at Costco.ca for $1399.00 brand new. Don’t know if it’s available to our American sew friends or not. Best thing about buying at Costco is for one year ..... any problems and they take it back..... So if your local dealer [we like to support them first] doesn’t have or can’t get one ...... look into it.
Hugs
Heather

On Mar 18, 2019, at 07:13, Carole Schneider <sewgram@comcast.net> wrote:

I have had a 6500 since they first came out. My husband actually won it for me 😊I love,love,love this machine! It is a workhorse! I expect one day it will wear out and finding a replacement will not be fun! I don’t quilt anything bigger than a placemat so not sure how well it will do larger items but it is a great machine!

srd.sonborne@...

Heather: Wow - that's a great price for a brand new MC6500 at Costco. Where are you located? We are Costco members and our daughter works for one of the warehouses in Seattle. That's good to know. 

thequiltedpeppers <betsypeppers@...>

The free motion works great at one time I had a Hinterberg frame and used the 6500 on it to quilt with.
I then went to a long arm

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, March 17, 2019, 10:38 PM, srd.sonborne@... wrote:

I'm so happy to hear from other 6500 owners - and that it has been a workhorse. I wish I had bought it sooner. But "better late, than never." I saw the 6500 on Amazon at a very good price - but I went to a dealership very close to my home - under 2 miles away - to ask what kind of a deal they could offer. They met the Amazon price - actually it was lower because it was a "used" machine - but with the Warranty, it brought it up to the same price. It was too good a deal to pass up. And I wouldn't have had the same Warranty from Amazon. Anyway, it's done now and I'll be sewing on it a little probably most days of the week. I'm still waiting to hear from quilters, though, and how the free motion quilting works for them on this machine.

srd.sonborne@...

Quilted Peppers: Wow! That's so good to know. I can proceed to machine quilt my quilts and projects to come - with confidence that I have the right machine to do the job. Can you recommend a good book or reference for beginning machine quilters? (I've already machine-quilted 3 quilts - with great effort and not very precise outcome - especially on the back of the quilt. Do you have any recommendations to insure that my stitches are uniform and that the tension is correct?

thequiltedpeppers@...

I bought mine used online so it was a year old in 2002 and just keeps on going.  If you have access to YouTube.com
there are videos of how to get started quilting designs on a domestic machine.  I started with drawing loops, circles and any design I could think up.  I was told that if you can draw it you can quilt it.  Then I tried the design on a practice piece and grew from there.  If you belong to AQS their magazine always have instructions in the back for how to quilt.
Best Wishes, you will love it but it just takes practice.
Betsy in CA

thequiltedpeppers@...

it takes a lot of practice to get the stitches uniform.  The grace company sold a stitch regulator that plugged into the machine to get the stitches uniform.  https://www.graceframe.com/en/product/speed-control
it puts control at your fingertips.

srd.sonborne@...

Thank you, Betsy in CA, for your tips. I have machine-quilted 2 large quilts in the past on my old Kenmore. And I've already started machine-quilting a Sampler Quilt on this 6500. I'm just looking for any tips that might be specific to this particular Janome model. I just saw the comment about possibly purchasing a stitch regulator that plugs into the machine for uniform stitches. I'm wondering if that's possible to do on the 6500. 
But I have done a lot of practicing - and watching videos - which I do practically every day.
It's all fine on a small sampler quilt - but another story on a big quilt.

Betsy

The stitch regulator from the Grace Company can be ordered for the Janome 6500.  It worked great when I had the 6500 on a frame.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:19 PM

Thank you, Betsy in CA, for your tips. I have machine-quilted 2 large quilts in the past on my old Kenmore. And I've already started machine-quilting a Sampler Quilt on this 6500. I'm just looking for any tips that might be specific to this particular Janome model. I just saw the comment about possibly purchasing a stitch regulator that plugs into the machine for uniform stitches. I'm wondering if that's possible to do on the 6500. 
But I have done a lot of practicing - and watching videos - which I do practically every day.
It's all fine on a small sampler quilt - but another story on a big quilt.