Tips to check automatic needle threader?

juliadlf.ny@...

The automatic needle threader on my QuiltMaker 15000 has again stopped working.
Last summer it stopped working after I was doing multiple thread changes on a project.
Took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the needle threader.  It has been working fine and now it again will not thread
the needle. I tried all my needles but none of them will work with the automatic threader. I know it isn't user error so before I lug this heavy machine
to the dealer, wondering if anyone has any tips for me to check as it seems odd that it would just stop working?
Thanks,
Julia

Jim Stutsman

One thing to try is to turn the hand wheel slightly before hitting the threader button. A dealer friend of ours has found that sometimes the sensor for when the needle is all the way up gets off slightly, leading to the needle eye being out of position. Turning the wheel SLIGHTLY in one direction may allow it to thread. If one direction doesn't work, try the opposite. If that does get it working you can have your dealer adjust the sensor. It's a fairly simple adjustment that can be done in a short time.

juliadlf.ny@...

Jim: Just tried your suggestions and it still won't work. 
When I lock the machine, thread and if I move the hand wheel ever so slightly counter clockwise, the light goes out on 
the needle threader button. If I move the hand wheel ever so slightly clockwise, it still does not thread.
Time to schedule an appt with the dealer. 
Thanks for the suggestions.
Julia

Virginia

Do you think you may not have the needle in right. I find if I use Schmetz needles or a different brand than Organ or Janome brand my needle threader will not thread. I have to do them by hand.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/11/19 8:34 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Tips to check automatic needle threader?

Jim: Just tried your suggestions and it still won't work. 
When I lock the machine, thread and if I move the hand wheel ever so slightly counter clockwise, the light goes out on 
the needle threader button. If I move the hand wheel ever so slightly clockwise, it still does not thread.
Time to schedule an appt with the dealer. 
Thanks for the suggestions.
Julia

Lyn Quine

Sine i upgraded mine to a Quiltmaker and returned i to Janome for he upgraded threader pin and had it serviced at the same time, I do sometimes have problems threading, but have found that when that happens, if I hold the thread at the top firmly and pull it through, I don't let go until its in the threader and it is pulled in tight, then it will thread most times.  It gets problematic if i have a thread break when in embroidery mode, sometimes it doesnt matter what i do it wont thread.  Then after a couple of colour changes its fine again.......  until the next time

juliadlf.ny@...

Virginia: yes, the needles are in the right way. I tried Organ, Schmetz, Janome Blue,Red and Purple tip ones.
When it happened it was a needle I had in the machine Organ 90/14. I then tried the Janome ones and then
a Schmetz but all failed. I've had no issues with using the automatic threader with Schmetz. And of course the
threader goes so fast it is hard to tell if it is missing the eye of the needle or if the threader is just malfunctioning. 
The dealer will have to look at it. It is a long trip to the dealer and they did respond that they do have replacement
part, if needed. Just have to find a day when no snow is in the forecast. LOL
I've gotten spoiled with the automatic threader and when going back to hand threading is
not so easy. 

juliadlf.ny@...

Just want to update this post as I did finally get my machine in for repair of the automatic needle threader yesterday.
The little piece that actually threads the eye of the needle was bent. Two things could have caused this per the dealer.
If when changing out needles, I did not insert the needle up in the shaft all the way. Hence the threader could have hit
the shaft inside of the eye. Also he said to be sure if using lower weight threads, to hand thread the needle. 40 and 50 should be
no issues but other weights may cause problems. 
One of the features, and their are many, I love on the Quiltmaker 15000 is the needle threader. 
Julia