2Stitch Organizer (free program)

Ceil J

Is anyone else using this?  I think it's fantastic but it does have some limitations as it's in the early stages of development.

https://www.2stitch.com/?fbclid=IwAR1GVDcFQy2oRk98mgBFOPKY3rKP7qYLfdACeSiLT_RdIwiaWhck3cHLhAo
I will be sharing with a Facebook group but wanted to share here too.  I love what it does.  Here are some notes I've made for another person who is interested.

Some things to keep in mind.

It will not (at the present time) open zipped folders. So if you want your zipped files included upzip them first. However, I use a PC and found that when I unzipped some files they also had a MACOSX folder inside the newly unzipped folder. You should delete this (and perhaps it’s the opposite for MAC users?). If you don’t it will include funky files.

It does not (at the present time) read JEF+ files. There are plans by the programmer to expand the files it reads (now only PES, PEC, DST, XXX, EXP, SEW, JEF AND HUS). I have contacted the programmer who is in Germany but not sure if he will respond.

Don’t do what I did initially and try to dump all your folders at once. That’s how I learned that it wouldn’t open zip files and the mess it shows with MACOSX files. Here is a chance to finally get organized so do it a little at a time.

It also doesn’t download PDF’s or instructions.

Mary Almond

I just downloaded this! Love how I can see the patterns so well! Will be experimenting! Thanks

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 5:11 PM Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:
[...]

Pat

Very kind of you to share.  Thank you.

Pat Kowalczyk

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 9:17 AM Mary Almond <marypalmond@...> wrote:
[...]

favymtz

Thanks for showing us a new program that can possibly help some of our members.
I just have to respond to the "It does not (at the present time) read JEF+ files"
Most likely it doesn't, Because a JEF+ file isn't a true file format. It's a design that consists of more than one JEF design that have been combined into a layout that can be stitched either in a single hooping or as part of a larger Layout design.
The only True JEF+ files are those made either in a Janome machine Edit mode or in Janome software programs like Horizon Link etc.
Every single time that I ever purchase a design and it has a JEF+ included, I check it to see if it's a real JEF+, and it NEVER is!
Pardon my gripe, it's just that as a former Janome employee this always has griped me!
I remember when as a new employee our shop owner educated me on JEF+ files, she did it because it always caused her angst too!

--
Favymtz

Ceil J

Thank you.  I never knew that.  I think Hatch allows you to save as a jef+ design; I can't imagine why.
I've found that this program is fantastic for me to be able to organize and find designs.  I'm quilting with various sizes of snowflakes and my collection (purchased, free, and edited) is huge.  This allows me to quickly see them.  I can put them on a USB to load into my machine but I really prefer to send via HLS and I'm not sure I'd trust the program to not edit a file.  But for organizing, viewing all at once with sizes, it's great.  I can finally quickly find what I'm looking for- but then still go into my stored files to work with it.
I hope some find it helpful and that the program grows into something more useful.

favymtz

Ceil, I'm glad to teach you something!
No, Hatch doesn't save (export) designs in a JEF+.
And surprisingly, MBX doesn't either, in spite of it being written primarily for Janome.
I suppose it's because they're primarily digitizing programs, not editing?
I don't know what digitizing program saves to JEF+, but it's certainly out there, many digitizers save JEF+, as I said previously!
--
Favymtz

Debra Mclin

Embird will save files to Jeff+.

I have not checked Floriani Total Control U.
Debbie

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 9:13 PM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Ceil, I'm glad to teach you something!
No, Hatch doesn't save (export) designs in a JEF+.
And surprisingly, MBX doesn't either, in spite of it being written primarily for Janome.
I suppose it's because they're primarily digitizing programs, not editing?
I don't know what digitizing program saves to JEF+, but it's certainly out there, many digitizers save JEF+, as I said previously!
--
Favymtz

Lyn Quine

Janome MBX V5 and V5.5 ( not sure about earlier versions) do save to JEF+ and jpx.  They save to jpx when transferring to usb by default when 15000 is selected, and I think the 12000, again I'm not certain about other machines, but I checked some of my usb sticks, a lot are jpx and I don’t download that format or JEF+ because I might want to stitch on the 350e so it can only be from MBX.  I’m sure I’ve read that  as well in the help files.  I also get that option when saving or sending from acudesign too.

Marsha

I think the reason that MBX or Hatch doesn't include jef+ as a file format is that it isn't truly a 'format'. It's only the file type that the machines actually 'read' once the design is sent to the machine. The 12K and the 15K 'read' a .jpx, which again is not actually a file format, it's just what the machine reads. Not sure why the machine is that way but it just is. If you put a jef file on the USB and insert it into the 12K or the 15K, the machine converts it to a .jpx but it will read it from the .jef format. If you send it to the machine from MBX by way of a USB MBX converts it to .jpx...............wow lot to take in.

Confusing I know but that's how it was explained to me by the district representative when I worked for a Janome sales store.
Marsha

Cheryl Paul

I know that all these “new” formats exist, but JEF is still the go to format. The new machines save to JPX and I don’t fool with that, but if you were to buy a design from a website, ONLY get the JEF format as it is truly a design that will work. However, you still have to pay attention to the size of the design for the hoop you intend to use, as you can still only use a design that will work for the size hoops that fit your embroidery machine.

The new formats seem to have appeared as the hoops have gotten larger. JEF came about when the Janome MC10000 was launched and digitizing started to really take off in the domestic market. The 10000 had a hoop that was about twice as big as the 9000, and the computer part became radically different. Then the 11000 came out in 2005 and again a bigger hoop, and also more processing of colour, stitch count and much more on the sewing machine, so the JEF+ allowed that information that really is only applicable to the sewing machine. It isn’t part of digitizing as the software looks after all that stuff without that little + part, but the machine needs it. That + has created great confusion ever since. I’m not even sure that other software’s besides Janome’s can make a JPX file that would be a true design. You know how when you look at a PES or a VP3 that the colours aren’t true and not even the same from design to design, even though the picture is the same. That’s because the program used to write the original design has been changed into a stitch format and is broken up for an embroidery machine to read. All software have a specific format to save to and in Digitizer it used to be JAN, but now is EMB, in Floriani it is WAF, in Janome’s Artistic Digitizer it is DRAW, and the list goes on, those files are the ones digitizers use to build on, to create more in the design or change the design. When you purchase a design you don’t get that “native” format, but only a stitch file - that is the file that the digitizer keeps as they really don’t want us messing around with what they’ve created. Now you all know that we like to individualize designs from time to time or to add lettering to personalize what we stitch out.

Back to basics, The JEF file is still the basic stitch out file for Janome.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Ceil J

Agreed!  From time to time, however, I use the dst format.  I think some designer's programs don't do a perfect job somehow when they convert their native files to the stitch formats.  If things don't work well when I do a practice, I try the dst and it often is perfect.  I usually don't care about the colors so that's not been a problem for me.  I found this out when I purchased designs from a popular Australian digitizer.  When she was the only one digitizing, her results were wonderful.  Then she got discovered and began spewing out designs very quickly with friends and family doing some digitizing.  These designs often lacked things like removal of overlapping stitches and often didn't stitch out properly.  They would then re-release the files after they fixed them.  I no longer order from them, although I do like their designs but discovered dst this way and ended up buying Hatch so that I could have some way to fix things myself.  As you would expect, I've not been overly successful in this regard BUT I certainly have learned a lot since then.
Also, some digitizers are not aware of the orientation of the GR hoop.  I have used the free Wilcom program before I bought Hatch to fix this.  The Wilcom program (at that time, not sure now) would not open the jef version but it would open the dst.  I could then turn the design and save it as jef (or maybe it saved at jef+?) and all was well.