Thread problem? Photos

Barbara Dierolf

Based on the two photos I’ve attached can anyone tell me what the problem is?  I have re-threaded, wound and inserted a new bobbin, changed my needle, checked the tension setting on machine and cleaned the bobbin area. Nothing seems to help completely stop this shredding and top looping.
I’m using Glide thread in top and bottom. The bobbin has no burrs. The needle is a new 99/14 top stitch needle. I’m sewing on cotton with QuiltersvDream Select batting.
I live my Janome 15000 but this is making me crazy.

Jim Stutsman

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like your quilt has a bit of loft in the batting. This can create high and low spots, so it's hard to keep the foot just skimming the quilt. Try using the PD-H foot (either closed or open toe) instead, with option 1 in the Free Quilting application. If there is too much space between the foot and the quilt you can run into problems like this. Using a hopping foot solves that.

juliadlf.ny@...

What thread and weight are you using top and bottom? Is your top thread spooling off smoothly and not catching on something which
is pulling on the thread? I would then check to see how smooth the bobbin thread is wound and make sure it is seated correctly in the
bobbin holder. Just some thoughts. I'm sure others may have their thoughts.
Julia

Barbara Dierolf

I am Ruler template quilting so I can’t change the foot. I have to use the high sided ruler foot to do this.

Barbara

Barbara Dierolf

The thread is spooling off fine and I’m using Glide thread which is a 50 wt. in top and bobbin. Been using Glide for over a year with no problems until now.

Barbara

blue_lak

Glide is a tri-lobal polyester, which like other polys will fray/shred with the easiest excuse. Try using a metallic rather than top-stitch needle. The metallic also has a large eye and groove, but it's especially designed to prevent shredding.

If you aren't using one, try putting a thread net over the spool and it will even out the tension and prevent the thread catching against the spool base as it unwinds. You "may" need to adjust tension just slightly for this.

To determine if it's really mechanical/physical or just that particular spool of thread, try another poly thread on sample fabric, batting and backing to see what happens. It can be devilishly difficult to figure out sometimes.
Jan

Ann Jones

I use quality poly threads and, other than Glide, have not experienced shredding as mentioned. The Glide thread settled part through the reel. I do use a cotton or prewound matching colour (not Glide) in the bobbin. Changing needle size is a good tip. Is there a tension issue? Also try slower sewing speed and see if that helps.
Ann

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Sunday, 3 February 2019, 7:13:30 AM ACDT, blue_lak via Groups.Io <blue_lak@...> wrote:

Glide is a tri-lobal polyester, which like other polys will fray/shred with the easiest excuse. Try using a metallic rather than top-stitch needle. The metallic also has a large eye and groove, but it's especially designed to prevent shredding.

If you aren't using one, try putting a thread net over the spool and it will even out the tension and prevent the thread catching against the spool base as it unwinds. You "may" need to adjust tension just slightly for this.

To determine if it's really mechanical/physical or just that particular spool of thread, try another poly thread on sample fabric, batting and backing to see what happens. It can be devilishly difficult to figure out sometimes.
Jan

sandra.sproles

I have experienced this same shredding when doing embroidery. The thread was shredding just like your picture and it was showing the bobbin thread on the top. I was using Mettler 40 weight polyester embroidery thread and a size 11 organ needle.

Sandra

Claire Schutz

I just fixed that problem.  I spent about three hours yesterday, changing needle, tension, speed, taking bobbin area apart, cleaning, changing bobbin holder, ohhhh, other methods as well.  Late last night had a thought, remove and clean the inside of the thread guide.  Did this and "wow" by magic I just finished my design, even using metallic thread.  I can not stress this enough that we should all clean this area as this is the second time I have had this happen.  It is on pg 159 of the manual.  If you have the new manual it may be on another page.  You can be sure I won't forget this again, at least hopefully, ha, Claire S.

On 2/7/2019 1:55 PM, sandra.sproles wrote:
I have experienced this same shredding when doing embroidery. The thread was shredding just like your picture and it was showing the bobbin thread on the top. I was using Mettler 40 weight polyester embroidery thread and a size 11 organ needle.

Sandra

Kathymeunier@...

Hi Claire, what do you mean by “thread guide”??  That page you sited does not correspond to my 15000, Quilt Maker instruction manual.  You said you removed and cleaned the thread guide, not sure which part this is on my machine as there are a few thread guides.  Glad your problem is fixed.  I may run into the same problem in the future so appreciate your reply.  Kathy

Jim Stutsman

The Memory Craft 15000 versions 1 and 2 have a removable cover for the thread path, with instructions in the manual for removing and cleaning. That option is not present on 15000 machines that were sold as version 3, Quilt Maker. That’s why it’s not in the manual for the QM model.

Stephanie Olson <4stefinny@...>

Does that mean, those with the Quiltmaker, 15000 v. 3 cannot clean the upper thread path?

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 7:29 PM onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The Memory Craft 15000 versions 1 and 2 have a removable cover for the thread path, with instructions in the manual for removing and cleaning. That option is not present on 15000 machines that were sold as version 3, Quilt Maker. That’s why it’s not in the manual for the QM model.

Claire Schutz

Jim is correct, sorry I thought of that after I posted, you must have version 3. Hope you solve the problem, Claire S.

On 2/9/2019 6:18 PM, Kathymeunier@... wrote:
Hi Claire, what do you mean by “thread guide”??  That page you sited does not correspond to my 15000, Quilt Maker instruction manual.  You said you removed and cleaned the thread guide, not sure which part this is on my machine as there are a few thread guides.  Glad your problem is fixed.  I may run into the same problem in the future so appreciate your reply.  Kathy

Jim Stutsman

On V3 machines the thread path is not accessible to the user. To clean it the top must be removed and the cover holding down the access cover must be removed. This is a job for a technician who knows the screws and clips to remove the top cover.

Stephanie Olson <4stefinny@...>

Thank you re: not being able to clean upper thread path on the Quiltmaker.  We learn so much from this group.  Regular cleanings by a service rep are even more important now  :)

Jim Stutsman

Generally this may not be something a service technician does as part of routine maintenance. The upper thread path usually goes from working to increasing tension all at once. What happens is that a glob of thread debris will form, causing a lot of extra top tension. The machine will appear to suddenly go from working to pulling bobbin thread. One thing I should have mentioned is that there is a practice many embroiderers follow that can cause this condition. When changing thread colors many (ok, most) people will pull the cut thread end back through the needle and wind it back on the spool. That stuff is expensive, right? However when you do that the thread pulls against the edge of the tension spring, shown below with the red arrow. This may "shave" the edge of the thread and cause one or two strands of the multi-ply thread to ball up in that area. When that happens you will start to have tension issues. To prevent problems always cut the thread at the spool and pull it out at the needle. Yes, you waste thread, but it always travels through that guide in the same direction and you won't have the shaving problem. You can save those cut ends in a baggie and stitch over them to make "Jackson Pollock" type fabric with lots of colors. Or you can let the birds use it to make multicolor nests. Or you can wad it up and say to your significant other "Oh my gosh, look what the cat coughed up!" You can also just keep cutting it at the needle and hope for the best. At least if you suddenly develop tension issues you will know what direction to point your technician in when you take it in for service.

Stephanie Olson <4stefinny@...>

Thank you once again to help understand my machine.   Pulling the thread down through the needle, instead of pulling toward the spool makes sense to me.  Fantastic tip for all of us to follow.  Oh, and your humor is great!!  :). I will save my threads for the birds!!

bhd02@...

I'm interested in knowing how you were able to attach the photos to your email. I haven't been able to do that successfully. Thx.

Jim Stutsman

The easiest way is to compose your post in the group website, either as a new post or by clicking the "Reply" link on an existing post. In the list of buttons above the area where you type your message you will see one that looks like a tiny picture. Click that and you'll have the option to drag and drop pictures into your post. CAUTION! If you are using photos directly from a camera they may be very large and you might want to resize them smaller first.

Nyssa Lanzafame

I LOVE this group, i have known for a while about not pulling it back through (I am not saying I always obeyed)  It really helps to finally understand why!!! Also excited to learn i can clean this area, and happy to know there is a 'perk' to the older machines ;)  As another educational point, I would like to share, coming at this as an environmental engineer.  Please don't give the thread to the birds literally, especially if it is Polyester, the molecules break up and end up all over, including water sources.