T-shirt Blanket

ksd16a

Hi again everyone.
I got soooooooooooo many wonderful and amazing ideas in response to my earlier request for something to make for my cheerleader granddaughter and her cheer squad. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! Now to decide which item(s) to make them.....
Now I have another question - I have lots of t-shirts and want to make a two sided t-shirt blanket/quilt for my sons. There are so many options and have watched lots of videos and not sure what to do. Is it best to iron on interfacing or just use the shirts as they are? Best to add sashing or just sew the shirts together? I would prefer to sew the front and back rather than tie them. I don't have a long-arm so can't quilt them easily.. I have lots of my own shirts so I can practice on those as a test before I make the blankets for them. I would very much appreciate any suggestions or ideas from anyone who has made them.
Have a blessed week everyone!
Kathy

Judi Rutherford

Iron on interfacing is definitely the way to go. The t-shirts will stretch al over the place if you don’t stabilize them. I would also suggest you reconsider using t-shirts on both sides. T-shirt quilts get very heavy.

As for sashing or not it depends on your design wishes. I like the quilts that have a design element with sashing and larger and smaller blocks rather than x number of t-shirts lined up row by row but that is my taste and not necessarily that of anyone else. Look at Pinterest and see which layouts make you smile. I was going to say “feel joy” but that phrase is a bit overdone at the moment :-).

Judi

Barbara Anderson <Bander6477@...>

The last one I made as a rag quilt with designs on both sides.  I didn’t use any interfacing.  One layer of flannel.

SALLY JOHNSON

Absolutely back t-shirts
I personally like sashing as it gives definitions to each shirt.
My son had SOOO many shirts he wanted included...so to get the most “bang for the buck”, this is his quilt I just finished. Might give you some ideas...just say’in’
image1.jpeg

On Jan 20, 2019, at 9:13 PM, ksd16a <lovetokraftkathy@...> wrote:

[...]

Agree with all your suggestion.  Here is what I did with so many shirts to be included....

image1.jpeg

On Jan 21, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Judi Rutherford <willwork4fabric@...> wrote:

Iron on interfacing is definitely the way to go.  The t-shirts will stretch al over the place if you don’t stabilize them.  I would also suggest you reconsider using t-shirts on both sides.  T-shirt quilts get very heavy.

As for sashing or not it depends on your design wishes.  I like the quilts that have a design element with sashing and larger and smaller blocks rather than x number of t-shirts lined up row by row but that is my taste and not necessarily that of anyone else.  Look at Pinterest and see which layouts make you smile.  I was going to say “feel joy” but that phrase is a bit overdone at the moment :-).

Judi

Jollyne Toste

Sally,
This is fantastic! Such a great job of making a piece of art and including soooo many T-shirts.
I made one or my oldest son and it was so heavy, I vowed never to make another…… Of course he has a bunch more t-shirts he’d like me to make another quilt with.
I will definitely use a layout similar to yours if I get up the nerve to make another:)))
Thank-you for sharing such beautiful work.
Jollyne
Walnut Creek, CA

On Jan 21, 2019, at 7:43 AM, SALLY JOHNSON <sally7864@msn.com> wrote:

<image1.jpeg>