Yet another security alert

Jim Stutsman

I just got a phone call that was a recording stating that Apple security had been breached and my iCloud account was hacked. The Caller ID on my phone said "Apple Inc". Fortunately I already knew it was a scam from this post: Apple Phone Phishing Scams Getting Better

It is possible with today's technology to make the caller ID of a phone call appear to be anything you want. This opens the door for endless streams of miscreants trying to separate you from your personal information and money. If there really were a breach Apple is not going to personally call every one of their customers! They would likely use email, though that can be spoofed as well. If you get a call from Apple, Microsoft, or any company that you are doing business with DO NOT give out any information. Instead log into the website by typing in the address, NOT by clicking an email link. If there really is a problem you will know.

Ginger Downs <stitchedinfaith@...>

I was very stupid the week before Christmas. I got hacked big time, but was able to beat the hackers from buying on my paypal, bank account and credit card. I woke up one morning and saw the mouse moving all over the screen. I tried to stop it, thinking it was just a weird thing happening. The hacker then called me on the house phone with the caller ID of Comcast (my server). Dummy me I answered his question, gave him access to fix the problem, but it was not Comcast. While he was all over my computer I called Comcast directly. They told me to turn off the computer immediately, but he prevent me from moving the mouse to the shut down. Then they told me to quickly pull the plug! Which I did.  Then I saw when I could then sign on the computer minutes later that he bought 3-$200.00 gift card to target. I got intouch with Target, got them voided, then saw money would still be withdrawn now from my bank account. I got there before they did, and closed the account, then saw the charges would now be on my credit card, and I closed that account. It took a week working with companies 7 to 10 hrs a day, but finally it's all fixed. My computer has to go in to the Geek Squad to get it cleaned out, But all is good now. My husband asked me why I spoke with the man who showed up on the called ID from Comcast, and I told him I thought it was Comcast. I was told that Comcast will NEVER call you.  I didn't know that ...no one ever told me.  Big lesson learned. I found out no server will call you. I also have a very expensive security system, but they beat that too!  I hope no one ever takes a call from their server, they don't call you

GINGER
https://www.stitchedinfaith.com

Custom embroidery and stock designs

On January 6, 2019 at 2:48 PM "onlinesewing via Groups.Io" <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

I just got a phone call that was a recording stating that Apple security had been breached and my iCloud account was hacked. The Caller ID on my phone said "Apple Inc". Fortunately I already knew it was a scam from this post:  Apple Phone Phishing Scams Getting Better

It is possible with today's technology to make the caller ID of a phone call appear to be anything you want. This opens the door for endless streams of miscreants trying to separate you from your personal information and money. If there really were a breach Apple is not going to personally call every one of their customers! They would likely use email, though that can be spoofed as well. If you get a call from Apple, Microsoft, or any company that you are doing business with DO NOT give out any information. Instead log into the website by typing in the address, NOT by clicking an email link. If there really is a problem you will know.

Virginia

Yes the caller Id does change on those "Robo" calls.  I have reported many of those calls and it has been getting better.  Our Cable company has introduced for free a program that if we register with them and again it is fee they are going to monitor our calls and the instructions are to let the phone ring 2 times and if you have blocked it in the past it will be blocked automatically.  It has been in effect about 2 weeks now and it has helped tremendously.  I realize though that some will slip by it will just take some time for it to work perfectly.  and then maybe it won't but at least they are trying.  It is called "ROBO CALL".  You may want to inquire about itl

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jan 6, 2019 2:49 pm
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Yet another security alert

I just got a phone call that was a recording stating that Apple security had been breached and my iCloud account was hacked. The Caller ID on my phone said "Apple Inc". Fortunately I already knew it was a scam from this post: Apple Phone Phishing Scams Getting Better

Jim Stutsman

I used NoMoRobo for a while, but have now switched to RoboKiller. It works the same way, but has a library of fake conversations to engage telemarketers with, taking up their time. I think it's time to adopt the policy of the X-Files: Trust no one!

Betsy

I bought a new Panasonic phone that has a call block button right on the front and it has cut my calls from 15 plus a day to 0 to 3

It blocks that number and I was surprised to find that they really don’t change their numbers that oftern.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:46 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Yet another security alert

Yes the caller Id does change on those "Robo" calls.  I have reported many of those calls and it has been getting better.  Our Cable company has introduced for free a program that if we register with them and again it is fee they are going to monitor our calls and the instructions are to let the phone ring 2 times and if you have blocked it in the past it will be blocked automatically.  It has been in effect about 2 weeks now and it has helped tremendously.  I realize though that some will slip by it will just take some time for it to work perfectly.  and then maybe it won't but at least they are trying.  It is called "ROBO CALL".  You may want to inquire about itl

Virginia

thequiltedpeppers <betsypeppers@...>

My brother has the robokiller, it is funny how it continues to talk with the callers and wears them out.

Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:48 PM

I used NoMoRobo for a while, but have now switched to RoboKiller. It works the same way, but has a library of fake conversations to engage telemarketers with, taking up their time. I think it's time to tthe policy of the X-Files: Trust no one!

I will ask Comcast about it. Thanks

GINGER

On January 6, 2019 at 4:26 PM "Virginia via Groups.Io" <Fmjfrazier@...> wrote:

Virginia

I just got a phone call that was a recording stating that Apple security had been breached and my iCloud account was hacked. The Caller ID on my phone said "Apple Inc". Fortunately I already knew it was a scam from this post:  Apple Phone Phishing Scams Getting Better

I will google robokiller and check it out. I also am an embroider and digitizer. I get so many call each day from digitizing companies wanting to digitize for me. I tell them to take me off their list and that I'm not about to give them my business! Then when they start to explain something to me, I interrupt them, and then tell them to give me their business!  They usually hang up on me then, lol

GINGER

On January 6, 2019 at 4:48 PM "onlinesewing via Groups.Io" <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

I used NoMoRobo for a while, but have now switched to RoboKiller. It works the same way, but has a library of fake conversations to engage telemarketers with, taking up their time. I think it's time to adopt the policy of the X-Files: Trust no one!

Kaye Lessard

I’ve gotten many calls telling me my computer is sending spam and they need to fix it!! I tell them I will contact my support and see about it!! Then hang up!! Never never do what a caller tells you!! Even had a “nephew”” call me but did not recognize his voice! Asked for his name and of course he answered wrong!!!
I’m lucky I know my family!!!
Now I’m getting calls from my phone number!!!lol!!!
Be safe & smart!!!

Carole O'Mara

My phone provider does not offer good call blocking to my land line so I get a lot of robocalls and unwanted calls.  But, I can block numbers on my iPhone.  When I am out for the day and hubby is not home either I use call forwarding to forward calls to my home to my iPhone.   When a call comes to the house, it forwards to my iPhone.  If I don’t recognize the number I don’t answer and if they don’t leave a voice mail, I block the number.  When I get home I disconnect from call forward and calls then can come to the house.  You can still make outgoing calls from the home phone even if Call Forward is on.  This has worked and has stopped a lot of calls to the house.  But they do call from different numbers so it’s never ending, but does slow things down.  
Carole

Virginia

I have that same phone however when I first got it I did not have collar ID so it didn't work.  Now caller ID is included in my service so it has helped.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/6/19 4:53 PM (GMT-05:00)

I bought a new Panasonic phone that has a call block button right on the front and it has cut my calls from 15 plus a day to 0 to 3

It blocks that number and I was surprised to find that they really don’t change their numbers that oftern.

Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:46 PM

Virginia

Which one does he have?  I'm seriously looking into it. 

GINGER

On January 6, 2019 at 4:57 PM thequiltedpeppers <betsypeppers@...> wrote:

My brother has the robokiller, it is funny how it continues to talk with the callers and wears them out.

I used NoMoRobo for a while, but have now switched to RoboKiller. It works the same way, but has a library of fake conversations to engage telemarketers with, taking up their time. I think it's time to tthe policy of the X-Files: Trust no one!

We also get phone call with our own number! Think they would put their expertise to good use and do something great for our country, at least get paid by a company and leave us alone

GINGER

On January 6, 2019 at 5:49 PM Kaye Lessard <ekay50@centurylink.net> wrote:

I’ve gotten many calls telling me my computer is sending spam and they need to fix it!! I tell them I will contact my support and see about it!! Then hang up!! Never never do what a caller tells you!! Even had a “nephew”” call me but did not recognize his voice! Asked for his name and of course he answered wrong!!!
I’m lucky I know my family!!!
Now I’m getting calls from my phone number!!!lol!!!
Be safe & smart!!!

thequiltedpeppers <betsypeppers@...>

RoboKiller spam call blocker tat is $29/year

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of Ginger Downs <stitchedinfaith@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 3:15:54 PM

Which one does he have?  I'm seriously looking into it. 

GINGER

On January 6, 2019 at 4:57 PM thequiltedpeppers <betsypeppers@...> wrote:

JoAnn Novak

We use caller ID.  If we do not recognize the number, we do not answer & let answering machine get it.  After 3 rings they hang up.  This saves a lot of aggravation & time.

JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

On 1/6/2019 4:51 PM, Carole O'Mara wrote:
My phone provider does not offer good call blocking to my land line so I get a lot of robocalls and unwanted calls.  But, I can block numbers on my iPhone.  When I am out for the day and hubby is not home either I use call forwarding to forward calls to my home to my iPhone.   When a call comes to the house, it forwards to my iPhone.  If I don’t recognize the number I don’t answer and if they don’t leave a voice mail, I block the number.  When I get home I disconnect from call forward and calls then can come to the house.  You can still make outgoing calls from the home phone even if Call Forward is on.  This has worked and has stopped a lot of calls to the house.  But they do call from different numbers so it’s never ending, but does slow things down.  
Carole

I was so annoyed by frequent calls from "Microsoft Security" and Air duct cleaning and the like, that I took a different approach.  As soon as the caller start giving their line, I ask them how they can go to sleep at night knowing they have scammed poor seniors?  I ask them how they would like their poor old grannie bothered in this way and so on.  I usually don't get into a second sentence before the scammer hangs up.  I now look forward to these calls which are coming fewer and fewer!
Roberta

bhd02@...

Thanks for sharing your story. My ID was stolen by someone who hacked my retirement records and those of many others. Fortunately they were caught but not before much damage was done. It took me 6 months to straighten things out. They are everywhere.

Cat - N

I am so sorry to hear that your identity was stolen.  I am glad it is straightened out now, but I also know it is awful to have that happen.  My friend's identity was stolen many years ago by a guy who handled physical paper records at an RV place where my friend was a physical customer.  The guy who stole my friend's identity had a girlfriend, who eventually felt 'guilty' enough that her boyfriend was living in another state, using his identity, and she called them on the phone to let them know.  Back then, no one seemed to give a hoot about identity theft...not even the Sheriff's office here or there, or any law enforcement would do anything to the guy.  They eventually did get stuff straightened out, but at least today, they pay more attention when it happens.  That says a lot, I guess, considering how frenquently it happens anymore.  Such an awful deal.

I am sick of the scams and robo calls on my phone (land line) phone, too...and having my cell phone call itself from its own number when no one is even in the same room with it (with the number being 'spoofed' of course).  Seems 'criminal' to me to harrass people that way using 'tools' they pay for, but the carrier sloughed it off pretty nonchalantly when I reported it.

Sad...

Much more fun to sew...

- Cat

Jocelyne Levesque

Thank-you for keeping us informed.

--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 1/6/19, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Received: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 2:48 PM

I just got a phone call that was a
recording stating that Apple security had been breached and
my iCloud account was hacked. The Caller ID on my phone said
"Apple Inc". Fortunately I already knew it was a
scam from this post: Apple
Phone Phishing Scams Getting Better

It is possible with today's technology to make the
caller ID of a phone call appear to be anything you want.
This opens the door for endless streams of miscreants trying
to separate you from your personal information and money. If
there really were a breach Apple is not going to personally
call every one of their customers! They would likely use
email, though that can be spoofed as well. If you get a call
from Apple, Microsoft, or any company that you are doing
business with DO NOT give out any information. Instead log
into the website by typing in the address, NOT by clicking
an email link. If there really is a problem you will know.

I think if they wanted to they could of caught them. Either when they went to cash the gift certificates which there would of been no way they knew they got voided, or Comcast getting the mail they forwarded to themselves and then deleted my mail that Target sent. No one cares because they say it's not real big business and they just write it off. In my case they didn't need to write anything off, and I cancelled the gift card before they tried to cash them, emptied my bank account and closed my credit card. It would of been so easy to catch them. 

GINGER

On January 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM bhd02@... wrote:

Thanks for sharing your story. My ID was stolen by someone who hacked my retirement records and those of many others. Fortunately they were caught but not before much damage was done. It took me 6 months to straighten things out. They are everywhere.