Topics

Using a USB extension cord

Pixey

Jim,

I am thinking to attach a USB extension cord to my embroidery machines to save wear and tear on my USB port, especially my 500E that only has one port. What version extension cables do I need to use? I am not sure what the differences are between original USB, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0. I am certain none of them are 3.0, but was not sure if a USB 2.0 extension cable would be backward compatible and work.

Also does length matter? The shortest I am finding is 3 ft. I know it has been mentioned in the group in the past when we have discussed USB drive sizes that this aspect of the technology on the machines is not that robust.

Thanks,
Pixey

Jim Stutsman

USB 1 is almost history. USB 2 is backward compatible and will work fine for your purpose. You want the overall length of cable from machine to computer to be 16 feet or less. So if you get a 3 foot extension you would want the main cabe to be no longer than 13 feet. Usually they run 6-10 feet, so that should be no problem.

USB 3 extenders would also work. This would appear to be a good choice for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1KINRO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HeIlCbG2HHHAP

It's a good idea to use an extender, because the inside of the USB port on the machines has a plastic bit that can be broken if a plugged-in USB drive gets bumped or whacked in the right way.

Pixey

Thanks Jim,

I was having difficulty finding shorter cards with Amazon’s search engine.  Have ordered several, one for each machine port.  I have always tried to be gentle when plugging in and removing USB drives and never had any trouble with my 350e, but there is always a first time.

Pixey

On Jan 3, 2019, at 8:53 AM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

USB 1 is almost history. USB 2 is backward compatible and will work fine for your purpose. You want the overall length of cable from machine to computer to be 16 feet or less. So if you get a 3 foot extension you would want the main cabe to be no longer than 13 feet. Usually they run 6-10 feet, so that should be no problem.

USB 3 extenders would also work. This would appear to be a good choice for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1KINRO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HeIlCbG2HHHAP

It's a good idea to use an extender, because the inside of the USB port on the machines has a plastic bit that can be broken if a plugged-in USB drive gets bumped or whacked in the right way.

Ann Jones

Good Morning Pixie

My 500E came with two assorted USB cords in the box here in Australia. One is USB both ends, the other is USB to  a computer port.
Seems strange USA purchasers  did not get these.
Ann

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Friday, 4 January 2019, 3:41:29 AM ACDT, Pixey via Groups.Io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

[...]

Interesting.  I just went and double checked and the only cord my 500E came with was the one that goes from the computer USB to the small square plug in on the machine.  It was still in original packaging.  But I have heard other stories of different countries getting some different accessories with their machines.

Pixey

On Jan 3, 2019, at 3:06 PM, Ann Jones via Groups.Io <anahita2868@...> wrote:

[...]

Cheryl Alm

Fairly new to this group and this is the first time I’ve heard about using an extender.   Not sure how it helps, doesn’t the extender also get plugged into the machine and therefore it to could be bumped?  Sorry if this is a silly question.

On Jan 3, 2019, at 9:53 AM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

USB 1 is almost history. USB 2 is backward compatible and will work fine for your purpose. You want the overall length of cable from machine to computer to be 16 feet or less. So if you get a 3 foot extension you would want the main cabe to be no longer than 13 feet. Usually they run 6-10 feet, so that should be no problem.

USB 3 extenders would also work. This would appear to be a good choice for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1KINRO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HeIlCbG2HHHAP

It's a good idea to use an extender, because the inside of the USB port on the machines has a plastic bit that can be broken if a plugged-in USB drive gets bumped or whacked in the right way.

Jim Stutsman

Not silly at all. An extender typically extends out a shorter distance than a USB drive and it's flexible, so you have a bit of cable to absorb pushes and bumps. If you look into the USB port you'll see a white plastic bit that takes up about half of the space. The cable has a corresponding plastic bit, which ensures that the cable can only be plugged in one way. The actual contacts are bonded to that plastic piece. I had a customer who was complaining about the USB port not working. A glance inside the port revealed a tangle of thin metal pieces. The plastic piece had broken and the contacts peeled off. I had to order a new USB board, which thankfully is a separate part so the cost was much less. I have many times plugged in a USB device the wrong way, and the plastic pieces stop it from going in. If you get in a hurry and jam it quickly, damage could occur. By using an extension any damage happens in the extension (cheap), not the machine ($$$!). Back in our store mail order days, one of our more popular items was a 3" extension which we sold for connecting the USB dongle for the various versions of Digitizer. Those dongles were super precious, because they were not replaceable without a VERY compelling story.

Cheryl Alm

Thanks for the explanation.   I’m off to Amazon to order one!

On Jan 4, 2019, at 8:35 AM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Meryl Margolies

My machine is in another room. I see that extensions come as long as 25'. What cord should I buy? I'm pretty sure my cord is a 6'. I really miss using the cord instead of the flash drive.
--
Thank you,
Meryl

Jim Stutsman

The official limit is set at 16 feet. However it won't hurt to try a longer cable. Just measure it out and get the shortest cable that will reach.

Meryl Margolies

Jim Stutsman

You didn't do anything wrong. Plug the NEW cable into your computer. Plug the OLD cable into the end of the new one. That will leave the correct end for plugging into the machine.

Lucy Akers

If all you want to do is plug a cable into your machine that you can then plug various thumb drives into without always plugging them into your machine, you need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Transfer-Enclosures-Printers-Cameras/dp/B00P0E3954/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547468436&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+to+usb
They are too long but you can coil them up

Meryl Margolies

I tried that. the old cable won't go into the new one. Maybe it's just a faulty cable.
--
Thank you,
Meryl

blue_lak

Since we're discussing cables....could a USB "hub" be used to keep two embroidery machines constantly connected to the same computer?

Jim Stutsman

In theory, yes. (I want to live in Theory - everything works there!) However some devices are not "hub friendly". I have used a hub to connect a single machine, but not multiple. A lot of it depends on the software in the computer. It looks for a specific identifier to locate the machine in the USB hierarchy. If both machine are the same, say 15000 and 15000, you might not get the one you want when connecting.

Steven C. Haber

That looks like the wrong cable. It has two male ends.

I think you need something like this with a male end and a female end. The male end goes into the computer, and your USB stick goes into the other side:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B014RWATK2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547510456&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=usb+extension+cable&psc=1

Tracy

Meryl-

The cable that you showed is one of the newer 2.0 cables (my new cell phone has this type of cable to charge it) and I do not think its the right cable for your machine.  Make sure the end that fits your machine has the right opening for the cable.  I know my older model Janome uses a cable that has the square end on it like a printer has.  The end of the computer is a "normal" usb end.  It looks like the cable you need is just a "normal" usb tip on both ends - one for the machine and one for the computer.  The cable that you showed (the link) is not the one that is correct.  Sorry.

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Jim Stutsman

Meryl Margolies

Thank you, Steven and Tracy.
I bought the cable to add to the cable that came with the machine...the one with one square end. I guess I need to go directly to a USB port on the machine then to the computer.
Thanks for your help. I wonder why the machine cable won't fit though.,
--
Thank you,
Meryl