locked Upcoming MC15000 videos

Jim Stutsman

There is a 15000 group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Janome15000/) that is featuring video from a different educator each month. We have signed up for January, 2019. I know that a lot of group members here don't like Facebook. I'm not all that crazy about them using me as a product myself! So, come January, any video that posts to FB will also post here so you won't miss out. Some of the videos will be things we've already done and you've already seen, but we plan to use the intervening months to make new ones. Toward that end I'm asking for your help. Please respond to this post by supplying your answers to the following three categories:

  1. The biggest problem I have with my machine is:  (Note - please don't say the needle threader. We know, and we can't do anything about that!
  2. The biggest problem I have with my Janome software is:
  3. The biggest problem I have with my iPad is:
Your answers will guide us to making videos to address the pain points. The videos that we create, here or on FB, will be up for one week from the date they are posted in January. We'll let you know whenever a new one drops. Thanks for your help!

Kris Tingley

1 the biggest problem I have with machine is I am not familiar with all the features and tricks and the manual doesnt go over things in detail.

2.  I dont take the time or am afraid to try the software.  U tube videos are helpful but videos on hooping using the camera on the iPad are not specific enough for me.
3. I am an android person so I have a lot of difficulty figuring out features of the iPad.  I in ave tried searching for something that I could enter an android function such as print or send to and get the equivilant iPad operation

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io
<onlinesewing@...> wrote:
[...]

Linda Wunder

The biggest problem that I have with my 15000 is with the bobbin.  When my machine is stitching an a dense Embroidery design quite often I will hear a weird noise then I stop immediately and check the bobbin area. There will be about 3 or wraps of top thread and the bobbin holder has turned about about 90 - 180 degrees within the case. It usually gets a little burr on it which I have had my husband smooth away.   I have also purchased new bobbin holders and right now the machine is in the shop to  have this checked.

Linda

On Sep 20, 2018, at 1:55 PM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Mary Galea <nunkuri@...>

I’m absolutely thrilled you’re doing the educator spot for January, Jim and Diane!

I don’t have a problem using my machine. This group and the FB group you’re supporting help identify and fix any issues that may arise, often before I’m even aware one may exist.

The biggest problem I have with Janome software is the lack of support and training post  purchase. If anyone is not near their dealer, the free lessons are often too difficult to access, and not everyone has an iPad to access the brilliant apps you have created.

The iPad itself? Training, training, training. I have never learnt how to use the apps properly, and trial and error without say, a little workbook like the seperate workbooks for the machine, doesn’t help. I’m not a “play and work it out” person, and if I don’t know what I don’t know, it means I don’t try.

And I’m sure it won’t be just me, but I am disappointed that all the work you’ll put into making a video, and it will only be available for a week. I’m in Australia, and January is when many Southern Hemisphere people are away for summer holidays.

Jim Stutsman

Linda before you pick up your machine ask the technician to check the hook race for nicks and burrs. Repeated issues like you've experienced are often due to that. Also have him/her check the bobbin case stopper. If it's a little to far forward toward the front of the machine, it's really easy for the case to pop out and turn. This is often overlooked in chronic cases like yours. (Don't ask how I know that!)

Jim Stutsman

Not to worry Mary - the videos will be free for a week, but they will find their way into the app. Thanks for the tip regarding iPad training. I'll be looking into that. I've already addressed why I don't do Android (https://onlinesewing.blog/2018/08/16/will-you-make-it-for-android/), but I did port the videos to a website that could be viewed on Android devices. It took 3 months to get it all worked out, but it was one of the worst ideas I've ever had. Trying to get it to work with every browser on every computer with every version of Windows, Android, Amazon Fire, etc. was just impossible. Worse, because of the way the videos had to be sent, bandwidth issues were a big problem. In the end it was no worth it. Meanwhile iPads have come down in cost, and for most people and iPad alone is sufficient as your computer (https://onlinesewing.blog/2018/08/30/computer-or-ipad/). Thanks so much for using our apps!

Mary Jo Hirsch

#1. I never have time to learn everything.  I know you cannot make days longer.
#2. I like to use embird and version 3 does not seem to like embird.
#3. None at this point.

Patricia Ward

Hmm I had to give this some thought...

1. The biggest problem I have with my machine is that I don't have enough time to use it as much as I would like.  Jim do you have a solution for more time?

2. Now for the Janome software:  if you mean digitizer then my problems come from not using it enough to fully learn it....  if you are talking about Horizon Suite,  then lessons on that are always appreciated.  Recently some of the store owners and Janome educators have been doing tutorial videos for different functions and I find them very helpful.  More lessons on the Horizon Suite would be useful.

3.  No problems with my iPad. I LOVE IT... and it is the best investment I have made other than buying my 15000.  What I love about the iPad is the availability of Jim and Diane's Apps that are so very useful and helpful.   I find that if I have a question or have forgotten something about my machine, I go to My 15000 App and look it up there and review the video.   (Well you know sometimes us older folks need some reminders and refresher courses.)  I also find the Footbook helpful in using all of the different feet for the 15000.

So in summary, Jim,   find me some more time to use this wonderful machine and some more videos on Horizon Suite uses would be good.

Thank you for all that you and Diane do to help us.  It makes our hobby a very enjoyable one.

Pat

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:55 PM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:
[...]

sandy k

1. Loops.  Never used to have any
2. Software good
3. iPad.  Don’t use it much only because all my designs are on my laptop.
All in all, love my 15

sandykquilts
From my iPhone

On Sep 20, 2018, at 4:40 PM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Vikki Youngmeyer

Biggest problem is that unless I use a “starter” piece of material or start the sewing in the middle of a seam, it tends to jump out of the take-up lever or won’t advance onto my fabric.

Vikki

Houston, TX

[...]

ccaseber <ccaseber@...>

Thank you for everything. Between the apps, Foot Book, videos  and answered questions my brain is packed with info. I love my 15000.

Looking forward to what will come from you in January!

Carol

On Thursday, September 20, 2018, 6:26:51 PM EDT, Vikki Youngmeyer <vikkiy@...> wrote:

[...]

Mary E

The biggest problem I have with my machine is that on some fabrics(medium weight canvas for one) the feeddogs don’t seem to advance the material consistently and so my stitches are uneven. When I sew the same fabric on my old Singer 15-91, there’s no problem. As far as I know, I have everything set up completely, but this variation in stitch length is really bugging me
Mary

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:55 PM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thank you SO much Jim! I love my iPad. It’s one that came with the machine, and as I’d never had a tablet before, it was a whole new experience. Your apps are sensational. I’d love there to be an associated workbook (with exercises) for each app...is that asking way too much? And for them to be available worldwide.

That’s another bone of contention...the discrepancy of Janome offering different deals in different countries, and then dealers offering deals of their own on top of that. When FB and other online groups are talking about Janome’s freebies and accessories, everyone everywhere assumes they’re for them. It’s created such confusion.

William D Lawson

1.  I know that I don't use all of the amazing features of my machine.  I wish that I could do that.
2.  I rarely use the wireless method of transferring files.  I just connect by computer to my sewing machine to transfer.
3.  I am not very knowledgeable with iPads.  Even with your great videos, I still can't navigate in that format very well..

[...]

Ceil J

1. Machine tension while embroidering seems to change.  I'll have to see my dealer about this, I know, but he's quite a distance from me and I can't make the trip now.  It seems that sometimes the thread is too tight in the tension discs.  Not sure why this happens but often shutting off the machine and turning it back on will fix the problem.  If I look at the back of an embroidery piece I can see that the 1/3 rule is only working here and there.  I get through most embroidery projects but it's annoying.  I thought it was the fact that I didn't have the right bobbin thread, needle, etc. but have concluded after much expense and with some experience, that it's the machine not me.
2. None with Horizon Link Suite.  I do have a problem trying to figure out what software to buy to do some very basic digitizing and think that perhaps if I spent more time with either AcuEdit or Acudesign, one of them might be all I need to add/subtract/combine parts of designs, but I've not spent the time on them.
3. None.
In general the main problem I have is that the machine does so much that I keep getting distracted and going off in different directions :)

Pam from Warm and Sunny Florida

1) biggest problem is trying to find files after saving them in my computer ( I have no issues with my threader)
2) the basics on how to use it
3) understanding when to use what program. From iPad to machine

Pixey

1.  Biggest irritation with my 15000 is fine tuning tension...it just seems to be inconsistent from project to project.  I rarely have to touch the tension on my 6600, 350E, or 500E...but always have to test and tweak it on my 15000.  I feel like I fumble my way through the process.

I am actually going to combine items 2 and 3, I find it difficult and confusing on how to move my stitch files in and out of the ipad design editing apps so that I can save them on my desktop or to my backup hard drives where I keep my design files.

Pixey

On Sep 20, 2018, at 3:55 PM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Gail Berkler

The biggest problem is that I cannot connect my I-pad to my machine and I can’t seem to get anybody that knows how to help me.  Very frustrating.  However, given that problem I FINALLY had a new sensor put on my machine after the upgrade and it works great now-even the needle reader!  Cool beans!

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:24 PM Mary Galea <nunkuri@...> wrote:
Thank you SO much Jim! I love my iPad. It’s one that came with the machine, and as I’d never had a tablet before, it was a whole new experience. Your apps are sensational. I’d love there to be an associated workbook (with exercises) for each app...is that asking way too much? And for them to be available worldwide.

That’s another bone of contention...the discrepancy of Janome offering different deals in different countries, and then dealers offering deals of their own on top of that. When FB and other online groups are talking about Janome’s freebies and accessories, everyone everywhere assumes they’re for them. It’s created such confusion.

favymtz

Problems with:
Machine: none
Janome software: inconsistency of being able to link Machine with Horizon Link Suite; understanding and successfully using the Acufil program
iPad: more clarification on using AcuDesign, and storage of designs, sometimes designs I have in Dropbox in my computer don’t show when using the App

ANN BONNELLI

Inconsistent tension? Cannot satin stitch without bird nesting..
Have to relearn everything when I try to use it, obviously do not use it enough.
Love Diane’s wave stitch, would love some more to do simple quilting

Ann Bonnelli