Topics

1/8 inch top stitching

Sandra King

I’m sure this is a silly question, but I’m told over and over to use 1/8 inch top stitch.  I just guess at it and usually wind up with my thread running off or the stitches are too wide.  I have the 15000.  Can anyone give me tips on this or tell me how to set the needle.

blue_lak

For that kind of close stitching, the Edge Guide Foot SE works really well. I've used it on woven and knits both. https://janomelife.wordpress.com/2018/11/20/foot-of-the-month-series-janomes-edge-guide-foot/
Jan in MD

Roberta K

Hi Sandra,

I have the MC11000 and I use the adjustable blind hem foot as a guide. It works really well. Other than that you can try using a ditch stitching foot and adjust the needle position on scrap fabric.

Roberta in FL

dbosio923@...

I use the HP foot then position the foot so that it is half on the fabric.  The needle hits right on the edge of the fabric creating the perfect edge top stitch.

Cat - N

I don't think it is a silly question at all, but you might think what I do is, because I like the zipper foot for topstitching on edges. I put the foot in a 'good spot' for holding /moving the fabric, then move the needle ti where I want to sew. I can see foot, edge and needle positions, and can get pretty accurate results, even through fabric will wiggle when it wants to.   I also like it for binding, sewing the binding to the back first then topstitching it on the front. The zipper foot rides on the binding and the needle can stitch a smidgen back from the edge.  The 15000 has 91 needle positions, and the 71 needle positions, so more variable than my 100-stitch computerized Kenmore (made by Janome), but I have used the zipper foot for topstitching since I was a kid sewing on a treadle machine. Just my preference.  You have the option with the 15000 of using the cloth guide, too, to help keep things straight. I use it when making baby blankets when I want to topstitch 1 to 1-1/2" from the edge.

- Cat (FL)

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10.