Topics

1600P

Nyssa Lanzafame

Please delete if not allowed, i realize the group is for embroidery machines:

i am just wondering, as i have all of these quilts that need to be quilted....how to get my 1600P to actually sew.  i have it on a grace frame.  it has worked in the past (though never perfectly)  it was breaking top thread every 2 inches, and now is only picking up the bobbin thread every 3rd stitch or so  :(  and since it started doing this new bit, i went back to the set up where it was sewing for 2 inches before breaking.  i just don't know. is this machine a tosser?  I  have checked the level, changed thread, bobbins, needles, followed the threading patterns in the manual, oiled and ran the machine with no thread. i also tried going from the freemotion foot that came with the machine and i had used in the past, to the westalee ruler foot (thinking that was a dumb investment right now ;)  no burrs on the plate or feet...just not sure if there is anything else i can do/try
Thank you for any thoughts

Jim Stutsman

Diane's 1600P is her go-to for anything heavy duty, and she's stitched some stuff with it I would not have thought possible. It's a fairly simple machine, so there is not a lot to go wrong. However we did have one customer that somehow bent the needle bar on hers. That could cause problems like those you have described, but to diagnose what's wrong really requires hands and eyes on the machine. Have a technician take a look at it. The problems sound obvious enough that it should be easy to recognize and fix.

Nyssa Lanzafame

Thank you for your reply.  I am going to spend some more time on this problem.  If Diane loves hers (and she has 1! ) then it must be worthwhile.  It has been so long since i have used it, but thinking it would make sense for some of the 'grunt' work to take the load off of the 'fancy' machine!

Nyssa Lanzafame

a complete service on the machine, and it was working for sewing with the hopping foot it came with. I did a bunch of samples.  then i got to the actual quilt...put on the westalee ruler foot and  it will not pick up the bobbin thread!!  roll the machine off to the side and needle up then down and it picks up the thread! everytime!  and i was using quilt sandwiches when i did the samples, so not sure what is happening, any thoughts to save my sanity?  (and this machine LOL!)

Jim Stutsman

This is pretty hard to diagnose without being able to see the machine. One thought - is the Westalee foot contacting the plate when it's installed? If it's not the right one for the 1600P it might be pushing the presser bar up, which would cause the tension to open a bit. With little or no tension you would probably have this problem.