Topics

15000 Upgrade HP Foot & plate

Judi Rutherford

I finally took the time (10 minutes including cleaning the machine) to put on the HP plate and foot.  It is awesome!  As a quilter i use my 15000 for lots of piecing and an accurate 1/4" seam is important. The HP foot is dead on.  I pieced an entire quilt top this weekend and loved the entire process. I didn't need to remember to change the settings or shift the needle position or anything else. Everytime I turned the machine on it was ready to go.  If you have not tried this plate and foot yet because you weren't sure about the 1/4" do not hesitate to make the change.

Judi

sandy k

I agree.  Best piecing I have ever done.

SandyK Magnolia Springs Quilts
From my iPhone

On Jun 11, 2018, at 7:53 AM, Judi Rutherford <willwork4fabric@...> wrote:

I finally took the time (10 minutes including cleaning the machine) to put on the HP plate and foot.  It is awesome!  As a quilter i use my 15000 for lots of piecing and an accurate 1/4" seam is important. The HP foot is dead on.  I pieced an entire quilt top this weekend and loved the entire process. I didn't need to remember to change the settings or shift the needle position or anything else. Everytime I turned the machine on it was ready to go.  If you have not tried this plate and foot yet because you weren't sure about the 1/4" do not hesitate to make the change.

Judi

cas

Do you think it fed through as well? Mine seemed to balk at the bulk.

Cas

Judi Rutherford

I have not noticed any issues.

Judi

Cheryl Paul

Cas, My 15000 after the upgrade sews beautifully with the HP system but it is not so good with the regular “A” foot to sew seams. It doesn’t want to start at the beginning of the fabric, as if those little front feed dogs don’t catch the fabric. My needle threader works some of the time where it didn’t work at all before the upgrade - definitely not the 110% like was promised. So, I got some things that work very nicely and others that are the pits, but I’ll leave it until it is time to have it serviced - I better start my list for when that service day comes.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Judi Rutherford

Hi Cheryl,

I start and end my sewing with fabric under the needle so the feed dogs don't struggle.  I try and have it be blocks I am piecing for another quilt project but sometimes it is just scraps that catch thread for awhile and then get tossed.  If you google leaders & enders you will see lots of projects that use up fabric leftovers.

My needle threader worked well before the upgrade and it worked for about a week after the upgrade then stopped working.  It has been driving me crazy so I decided to think about it "logically."   I normally use Schmetz needles varying the size based on the project and I always piece with Aurifil 50 wt thread.  The other day I cleaned the machine  before I put the HP plate on. Cleaning the machine for me includes putting in a new needle.  I didn't have a Schmetz needle handy so I used one of the Janome blue needles that came with the 15000.  I re-threaded the machine and without thinking tried the needle threader and voila! it worked.  I pulled the thread out of the needle and used the threader again it worked again.  I am guessing the tech calibrated the threader with a Janome needle which I would have changed after I finished whatever project I was working on when I brought the machine home after the upgrade.   If you are not using a Janome needle try using one and see if it makes a difference.

Judi

Barbara Castle

I have found the same. My machine was in for threader issues awhile back and now all is well.

Barbara

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:33 AM Judi Rutherford <willwork4fabric@...> wrote:
[...]

Cheryl,
That's what mine does, just sews in place at the beginning of the fabric or at a seam when I’m doing patchwork. I had the tension checked and he sent the machine home with perfectly sewn samples. I feel like I have to push or pull fabric through if there is any bulk at all. I've experimented with the pressure foot adjustment but it doesn't seem to help.

The threader works great almost every time, unless I'm in embroidery mode. Then it quits after a few thread changes. Sometimes reseating the needle helps, but usually not.

If your guy notices anything that might help with the feed, let us know.
:-)
Cas

cas

Judi, I find my threader works almost every time with an Organ, or Janome branded needle.  When I use Schmetz needles I do not use the threader, so I don’t knock it out of whack.

Cas

.  I didn't have a Schmetz needle handy so I used one of the Janome blue needles that came with the 15000.  I re-threaded the machine and without thinking tried the needle threader and voila! it worked.  I pulled the thread out of the needle and used the threader again it worked again.  I am guessing the tech calibrated the threader with a Janome needle which I would have changed after I finished whatever project I was working on when I brought the machine home after the upgrade.   If you are not using a Janome needle try using one and see if it makes a difference.

Judi

Judi Rutherford

Hi Cas,

I will be doing the same going forward.  What Organ needles do you use?

Judi

Deb Keldrauk

Janome Blue Tip = Organ 15x1ST#11 Regular Point
Janome Red Tip = Organ 15x1ST#14 Regular Point
Janome Purple Tip = Organ 15x1Sp#14 Ball Point