15000

Sandra Wheeler

My 15000 has developed a new problem in the last few days.  The thread will randomly come out of the take up lever.  I'm very careful make sure it's seating in the lever completely but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Lyn Quine

That’s a common thing, I thread the lever from the left side, so the thread crosses, that seems to solve the problem.  It’s a tip from Diane.  It’s called the alternative threading I think.

On 21 Dec 2021, at 20:34, Sandra Wheeler <angelthings@...> wrote:

My 15000 has developed a new problem in the last few days.  The thread will randomly come out of the take up lever.  I'm very careful make sure it's seating in the lever completely but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

favymtz

Also, I've noticed that some brands of thread seem to be more susceptible to this happening.
Maybe it's the more slippery threads, I think. Has anyone else made that connection?
--
Favymtz

Jim Stutsman

There is a small spring clip in the take-up lever that keeps the thread from coming out. The red arrow in the photo points to the clip. Open the door on the machine and confirm that the clip is still there. It's rare for it not to be, but if it has somehow been removed a new take-up lever would be required. This would require the servicing dealer to order the part and perform a very involved repair to replace it. That means $$$.

Assuming that the clip is still there and closing all the way after threading, then the only other way for the thread to come out is for a loop to flip up over the take-up lever and snapping into the eyelet past the clip.This can happen if the check spring at the bottom of the tension assembly is stuck, broken, or out of adjustment. Its job is to keep the thread from going slack while the needle is coming up out of the fabric. If you open the door of the machine while threading, right after you make the U-turn you should see that spring move when you pull up on the thread.

There is only one other possibility that I can think of. Some threads tend to be on the wiry side, with a memory of how they were wound on the spool. They may have enough kink to loop over the take-up, causing the thread to escape. For that you can try threading a little differently. Usually you put the thread in the take-up eyelet by holding it in both hands and pulling down. The thread enters the eyelet on the right and exits on the left. Switch hands so that the thread enters from the left and exits from the right. This creates an X pattern and seems to help with this problem. Hope this helps!

Sandra Wheeler

I thread from left to right also and it was threaded left to right when it started coming out.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:
That’s a common thing, I thread the lever from the left side, so the thread crosses, that seems to solve the problem.  It’s a tip from Diane.  It’s called the alternative threading I think.

On 21 Dec 2021, at 20:34, Sandra Wheeler <angelthings@...> wrote:

My 15000 has developed a new problem in the last few days.  The thread will randomly come out of the take up lever.  I'm very careful make sure it's seating in the lever completely but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Sandra Wheeler

It's the spring on the take up lever.  I can't see it and I can slide the thread back and forth across the top of the lever, nothing catches it going backwards or forwards, in and out.  Now you can imagine me saying many, many unpublishable words.  This will be the third repair in 6 months, and the second very expensive one.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 2:03 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

The spring is there, I can see it. It looks exactly the same as my 11000.  The check spring on the bottom is there and moves when it should.

This has happened with two different threads.  One was a metallic so that certainly could be a kink.  The thread I'm using now is Gutterman poly.  And I always thread from left to right so it crosses below the lever.  It used to come out all the time on my 6600 until I started threading left to right.

This machine hasn't really been used that much. I bought it late Sept 2017. It spent most of 2020 locked up because of covid, I've only had it back about a year.  It shows 1406 h 14 m turned on, 101 h 19 m stitching.

[...]

SewingRose

Can't remember which one of my machines started with the thread jumping out of the takeup lever, threaded in the opposite direction, changed threads etc...even flossed the whole thread path and still nothing.  Got a torch and there was lint buildup from the thread caught under the small clip spring that Jim has shown above.  Flossed (sideways) through there and it never happened again.

Might be worth a try as it can be frustrating, hope you can get it sorted asap.

Lyn Quine

I’ve had this with my 15000 for about a year now, I took it for a service earlier this year, and mentioned it to the tech, he said the spring was there and not damaged, he has moved the arm slightly, I know this because before the service, I could do the alternate threading without opening the side door, now after the service, I have to open it.  If I don’t use the alternative threading it will jump out even now after the service.

On 21 Dec 2021, at 22:26, SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:

Can't remember which one of my machines started with the thread jumping out of the takeup lever, threaded in the opposite direction, changed threads etc...even flossed the whole thread path and still nothing.  Got a torch and there was lint buildup from the thread caught under the small clip spring that Jim has shown above.  Flossed (sideways) through there and it never happened again.

Might be worth a try as it can be frustrating, hope you can get it sorted asap.

Linda Thompson

Sewing Rose, you got a torch?  ?  ?     There is no rhyme nor reason to the why of  my thread jumps out.

Pixey

A torch in some countries is also known as a flashlight in the US.

Pixey

On Dec 22, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Linda Thompson <lynnlind81@...> wrote:

Sewing Rose, you got a torch?  ?  ?     There is no rhyme nor reason to the why of  my thread jumps out.

Cat - N

Yep…sure is!  Torch = flashlight among a number of my friends an ocean or two away.  😁

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Dec 22, 2021 at 1:44 PM, <Pixey via groups.io> wrote:

A torch in some countries is also known as a flashlight in the US.

Pixey

On Dec 22, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Linda Thompson <lynnlind81@...> wrote:

Sewing Rose, you got a torch?  ?  ?     There is no rhyme nor reason to the why of  my thread jumps out.

Linda Thompson

Thank you, Pixey, for that explanation.  And, serves as reminder to my self to be clear in some of my words.