Make and Ironing Board

cas <cassweet@...>

I recycled a desk.  It has the added benefit of storage underneath.  It had four drawers and I added a rolling cart with 7 drawers to the other side.  The whole works is on gliders since I have hardwood floors.  It takes up some room in here, but I needed a large ironing board and storage.  If you decide to do a project like this I suggest drilling holes in the desktop before you cover it so the batting and cloth can get air to dry totally.  I’ll see if I can upload a pic so you can see it.  The desktop is 22”x48” and has the added benefit of a small rotary cutting mat fitting perfectly on one end.

I don’t see how to add photos to group but it looks like if I include them in the email they automatically go there?
Cas

Ironing.jpg

Carole O'Mara

My husband was about to discard a large metal work bench with a shelf underneath and one drawer.  It was in great condition and now I use it for a large ironing table.  A number of years ago I bought a pressing mat made by June Tailor with marked grids at 20” x 60”, different angles etc.  I decided one day to wash it—big mistake.  The gridded top shrank and the heat resistant bottom didn’t.  I’ve tried to get another one to no avail even calling June Tailor company and that size has been discontinued.  Now I am trying to figure out what I can cover this large table with (31” x  63”) so I can have a large ironing surface.  Any suggestions????

 Thanks,

Carole – Colorado Springs

Moira Rogow

That is really ingenious! That is a great idea. I'm way past refinishing or repurposing things anymore, but I'm going to show that to my daughter. Really impressed!
Moira

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 4:58:44 PM CDT, cas <cassweet@...> wrote:

I recycled a desk.  It has the added benefit of storage underneath.  It had four drawers and I added a rolling cart with 7 drawers to the other side.  The whole works is on gliders since I have hardwood floors.  It takes up some room in here, but I needed a large ironing board and storage.  If you decide to do a project like this I suggest drilling holes in the desktop before you cover it so the batting and cloth can get air to dry totally.  I’ll see if I can upload a pic so you can see it.  The desktop is 22”x48” and has the added benefit of a small rotary cutting mat fitting perfectly on one end.

I don’t see how to add photos to group but it looks like if I include them in the email they automatically go there?
Cas

Ironing.jpg

Narda Poulin

Thanks for the photo. That is a great idea, especially the tip about drilling holes ( I guess thar’s why an ironing boards have holes in them). Right now I am still just using a reg ironing board and have a large table but it has my cutting mat on it (with rolling carts under it as you have). Somehow we never seem to have enough room ....or material lol

On Mar 14, 2018, at 8:50 AM, cas <cassweet@...> wrote:

I recycled a desk.  It has the added benefit of storage underneath.  It had four drawers and I added a rolling cart with 7 drawers to the other side.  The whole works is on gliders since I have hardwood floors.  It takes up some room in here, but I needed a large ironing board and storage.  If you decide to do a project like this I suggest drilling holes in the desktop before you cover it so the batting and cloth can get air to dry totally.  I’ll see if I can upload a pic so you can see it.  The desktop is 22”x48” and has the added benefit of a small rotary cutting mat fitting perfectly on one end.

I don’t see how to add photos to group but it looks like if I include them in the email they automatically go there?
Cas

<image001.jpg>

cas <cassweet@...>

You’re welcome and you got that right!  I can barely turn around in here, and I’m always knocking something over.  Or getting bruised.  Ha!  Who knew.  If I knew this was going to be my full time passion I would have bought a house with a large room for my studio.  One with two living rooms would be ideal…

Cas

[...]

You could use batting or flannel and then a couple of layers of sheets so it would be wide enough fabric without seams.

Cas

My husband was about to discard a large metal work bench with a shelf underneath and one drawer.  It was in great condition and now I use it for a large ironing table.  A number of years ago I bought a pressing mat made by June Tailor with marked grids at 20” x 60”, different angles etc.  I decided one day to wash it—big mistake.  The gridded top shrank and the heat resistant bottom didn’t.  I’ve tried to get another one to no avail even calling June Tailor company and that size has been discontinued.  Now I am trying to figure out what I can cover this large table with (31” x  63”) so I can have a large ironing surface.  Any suggestions????

 Thanks,

Carole – Colorado Springs

Helen Creamore <helencreamore@...>

The Labours of Love sewing site uses to sell the June Tailor ironing board cover. You could check there.