14000: Re-hooping fabric to match embroidery placing

myss3honey@...

I have purchased a quilting pattern, and can't work out how to place the hoop as I move across the  quilt so that the pattern matches. I hope there is a simple answer, I'd rather be embarrassed than not be able to use this pattern. Be lovely if someone could help.
Cheers
Janet

Pixey

Hi Janet,
There are a couple of different approaches to use to tackle this.  But to start with, you need to make a template of the design that you can lay over the top of your quilt as you hoop it.  You can do this by printing the out the design from  computer embroidery software.  If you don’t have the software, you can load up the design on the machine, hoop a light or mid-weight cutaway stabilizer and mark the center crosshairs with a pen.  Then stitch out the design with a color that contrasts with the stabilizer and trim away the excess stabilizer.  Now you can lay or tape the design on your quilt to help line it up in the hoop.

If you are using an edge to edge design that is intended to actually join continuously, you can move to the first stitch and the. use the jog keys on the machine to better align the starting point with the ending point from the prior stitchout.

Does this make sense?
Pixey

On Sep 19, 2022, at 8:46 PM, myss3honey@... wrote:

I have purchased a quilting pattern, and can't work out how to place the hoop as I move across the  quilt so that the pattern matches. I hope there is a simple answer, I'd rather be embarrassed than not be able to use this pattern. Be lovely if someone could help.
Cheers
Janet

Pixey

Janet,
One other followup…

You haven’t indicated which hoop you are planning to use, but you may want to check out Jim and Diane’s modification to turn the GR hoop into a magnetic hoop.  This style is much easier to use for quilting. The YouTube link is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV9bDAYHOQg  )

If you search the group posts in Groups.io under GR Edge there is more information (including reference to a video in the My15000 app).

Pixey

On Sep 19, 2022, at 8:46 PM, myss3honey@... wrote:

I have purchased a quilting pattern, and can't work out how to place the hoop as I move across the  quilt so that the pattern matches. I hope there is a simple answer, I'd rather be embarrassed than not be able to use this pattern. Be lovely if someone could help.
Cheers
Janet

Cheryl Paul

Hi Janet,

With your 14000, you should have received a CD/DVD with a program called Horizon Link Suite, or something equivalent as you are just one step lower than the 15000 (WiFi wouldn’t be on yours). In that program you should be able to bring the design as a JEF file into the software. If I ever did this it was years ago, so don’t remember exactly how you do this, but someone here will know. It might even be in Jim and Diane’s 15000 APP, which gives so much information on using the software as well as almost everything that can be thought of in “how” to use the machine. Bringing in the design will allow you to do adjustments at least 10% and maybe 20% (some parts of the program allow the lesser amount). Once you have the size you like, there is a calculator to figure out how many hooping you will need. You can also just wing it and do edge to edge, where a design runs off the edge of the quilt. The important thing is to FIND the centre point and draw cross hairs, but you need to have a template first. There are lots of YouTube videos, I’ve watched several, but haven’t done anything more than just “watch” them and marvel at the creativity of others and then decide it isn’t for me at the moment.

I have done these on test samples when I had the MC11000, it isn’t hard, but it does take time and a bit of work “at first”. Once you get the hang of it it is not at all that difficult. I just suggest that you watch as many videos as you have time for. I found that Diane’s are the best, there are others but they basically say the same thing with a slightly different approach.

Let us see pictures when you are finished and even in the process. At the moment I’m trying to learn my new Janome Continental M17 by jumping in at the deep end with a “fix it up” huge embroidery that really needs that big gigantic hoop. Like I said the “deep end” - digitizing a very snagged up design, removing all the stitches and then doing my very best to line it up over the previous stitching. Fortunately, I have a good husband and he helped remove some very tiny stitches that were under all the embroidery.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

myss3honey@...

Hi Pixey
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I certainly understand what you say, and I think maybe I tried to do it the wrong way round, that is, trying to align it by where the needle starts to stitch. So I will go with making a template, using it to line up the hoop, and see if I can get it right.
I think the pattern is meant to look continuous, but doesn't actually continue from where it previously left off, but I will remember you said that, it might be useful another time.
I'll start as soon as I get to the machine, and report back. If the GR is the biggest hoop that comes with the machine then that is the hoop I want to use. Maybe 10" X 12". I will check out the video, and also the posts you mention.
I have also had an issue when placing images in relation to one another and finding they stitched out not at all where I wanted them. I won't talk about those frustrations right now though, just focus on this quilting pattern.
Thank you again, Pixey, I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers - Janet

myss3honey@...

OMGoodness Cheryl, you are brave! All the best with your new machine.
Thank you for your advice. The 14000 doesn't come with Horizon Link Suite, instead it has Acu-tools which is a much more limited programme; it doesn't provide nearly as many bells and whistles. However, I will persevere with getting the centre point as you and Pixie have explained and see how that works out and I will also watch the videos. That might be a lot better than struggling with the manual, which has happened many times when I look up something (in the less than perfect index) to be told to DO something when I want to find out HOW to do that thing. It's fine if you're familiar with such machines and processes, but it's new for me, and when I get frustrated I leave that machine and use a non-embroidery machine, or do handwork, and then weeks later when I return, I've forgotten what I did know before and have to start from the beginning again! I don't really have anyone to ask, my dealer is hours away, but I'm hoping me and my 14000 will form a closer bond with my joining this group  🙄
And you say I can post photos, I've just seen the little paper clip, so that may be a help too - onward and upward, I  shall report back.
Cheers, Janet

Cat - N

You've already heard from some of the very knowledgeable people here who can help you figure out how to do things, but it's a shame not to use that 14000 just because you don't know which button to press, etc., so definitely ask if you need info.

Quilting in the hoop (QITH) is not a fearsome thing IMHO, but I understand it can be kinda freaky the first time and until you get used to it.  I learned to sew as a toddler, but machine embroidery and QITH were definitely things I learned much later!  I jumped into the deep end of the QITH pool with my 11000 years ago because I needed to quilt some baby quilts in a short amount of time for a baby shower, so I didn't have any 'practice' time.  But, maybe you can hoop some leftovers and play with it if you're not in the same kind of hurry.

Getting start-point stitches to match the previous designs' end-point stitches so they join in a continuous line is mostly a fiddly matter of 'finessing' the needle using the jog buttons...as was mentioned...after hooping your quilt's next design as close to centered (the design...in the hoop) as possible, regardless of which hooping/marking/location method you use.  As you've noticed, there are lots of ways to to it, but a template is a pretty easy to get, either by printing one on paper or stitching one on stabilizer so it's a good option.  I've used lots of templates myself.

One method I didn't see mentioned...maybe I missed it...is marking your quilt.  I use a water erasable pen and lots of rulers, among other methods...and I draw all over my quilts as needed...and I've marked my hoops and topper so I can align the quilt marks with the hoop marks, too.  I generally QITH using the square ASQ22 magnetic hoop and a DIME Topper on my 15000 for QITH...but a long arm quilting machine lives here, too, so I have additional choices for e2e quilting, and I have both embroidery machine QITH 'continuous' designs and long arm pantographs/e2e/block/corner/sashing/border/etc. designs to choose from...and I convert between the two formats as needed/desired...or I ask the long armer if they can create a JEF format for me so I don't always have to convert...Blush

My friend has a 14000 and she got the AcuFil Kit for the 12000/14000.  I am not sure how easy it is to find those kits today, but you can check if you are interested.

Hang in there...the 14000 is a lovely machine!

- Cat (FL)