12000 or keep 11000 question

seamgood <seamgood@...>

Good morning.
I own the 11000 SE...got it brand new about a year ago and have only used it a handful of times...family life got in the way of my sew time. The end of the summer this year, I bought the 7700. Again, have used 3 times for hemming pants and family life in the way again.
I am considering the 12000 but really don't know what it does more than the 11000. I don't have a dealer near me. Would have to travel almost 2 hours to just see it. Can someone tell me what the 12000 does that the 11000 doesn't? Thank you so much. I do enjoy reading all your posts. Hopefully I can make a very educated decision in the very near future.
And Jim, I did buy your CD and the Apple App for my phone of the foot book. I love them both!!! Well worth the money. Very well done. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Gloria

Patricia Ward

Gloria, I had the same machine set up... the 11000 and the 7700. I traded in the 7700 because with the 12000 you have the 7700 but with the added embroidery feature.  I kept my 11000 because I do like the machine and I had upgraded it to ver 3 so figured, I would keep it to use and I am glad I did.
The 12000 has great features for quilting and of course all of that space on it for FMQ.  I have not used the embroidery yet but I am really enjoying sewing with it. It is powerful, quiet and fast.  I love the 9mm feature.

So basically  think of the 12000 as a very advanced machine that incorporates all of the 7700 features into it but adds the new features of the larger embroidery, the direct link to Horizon Link on your computer and fast and more quiet as extras.  I can't believe how quiet it is, really.

And there are added quilting features that the 7700 didn't have.... the choice of a stitch for a 1/4 seam or a scant 1/4 seam; the sensor to automatically set the height of your FM foot and you don't have to turn the little screw to adjust the foot to glide across your fabric.
I am sure there are features that I forgot to mention; someone else I am sure will have more to tell you.

I am one hour from my dealer but went to the launch on Oct 1.  If you have a good dealer, the drive is well worth it.

Pat

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Wow, Gloria, the DVD *AND* the app? You're our hero, thanks so much!

I understand your dilemma. The 11000SE is a very capable machine, and so is the 7700. The 12000 is a merging of both of them, with big improvements in both the sewing and embroidery parts. On the embroidery side you have bigger hoops, higher speed, and a bit more stability. Sewing-wise you have the option of 9mm stitch width against your current 7mm. Even if you never use the 9mm, the arrangement of the feed dogs is such that things just work a little better. For example, the 1/4" foot has a guide that hits the feed dogs in just about every Janome model, but on the 12000 it's in between them. That's going to make it much easier to get a perfect 1/4 or scant 1/4. Lighting is amazing on the 12000, and the automatic presser foot control is also very impressive.

It's a shame you have to go so far to see it, because you really can't make a decision without actually sewing on the machine. I would suggest you make a day of it. Call the dealer ahead and make an appointment. If you think you might want to trade in your existing machines, pack them up to prepare (but don't mention that when you call - ask instead if you decide to buy, AFTER you have a quoted price). Take test fabrics with you. If you're a quilter, take a dozen squares. Make it clear when you call that you are going to need at least an hour on the machine, and make sure that someone who knows the machine will be there when you come. Ultimately no one but you can know if it's the right machine for you, but after a good test drive you'll know!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "seamgood" <seamgood@...> wrote:

[...]

vicki chrobak

Gloria--The one thing that really attracted me to the 1200 was the variable zigzag feature. Great for FM work. Just use the knee lift to control stitch width.

--
Vicki Jo