12000 Embroidery Arm Connection

Cheryl Alm

I’m making an inquiry for a friend who owns a 12000.  I’m including a photo of the connection on her machine where the embroidery arm connects.  It’s easy to see the damage.  She has been told that this part cannot be ordered and she would have to purchase a new embroidery unit that would cost approximately $1,500.00.  She was then told that she would be better off to upgrade to a newer machine.  Just looking for opinions since she felt like they were more interested in selling a machine instead of ordering a part.  Thanks for any insight.

Jim Stutsman

The part itself was probably manufactured specifically for Janome by a company in Japan. The cost of creating parts like this is high - engineering, prototyping, molds, etc. On devices like TVs and computers that cost is spread out over hundreds of thousands of devices, so it’s pretty low. High end sewing machines are nowhere near that kind of volume, so the part price will be substantially higher. Say it was $100, just for the sake of argument. It’s a part that almost never fails on its own, so they don’t stock it in the various Janome country offices. That leaves no option except to replace the entire embroidery unit. Even if you could get someone in Japan to source the part, package and air ship it, the cost would be quite high. Your best option might be to try and find a machine that has been damaged beyond repair, and could be cannibalizes for parts. That’s unlikely. I would suggest contacting Janome technical support directly and seeing whether they might be able to do something.

Anne Stoye

At some stage I would expect the dealer to get a 12000 as a trade in with other things the matter and unrepairable or not worth repairing (I thought my machine might be nearing that stage last week but it has been reprieved) and spare parts can be harvested.  But there is a point when it is not worth spending a lot of money on repairing an ageing and well-used machine relative to the cost of a replacement.  I was considering the Atelier/Skyline 9 if my 12000 was to be written off.  I don’t do or need mega size embroidery and I think this machine would have ticked all my boxes.

Anne

Cheryl Alm

Thanks, Jim, for that information and explaining it so well.   I’ll pass it on to my friend.
Cheryl

On Nov 4, 2020, at 10:07 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve

I work as a Janome authorized technician.  Yesterday I looked to see if this part was available but it cannot be ordered.  The only way to get it is by removing it from a donor machine.  There isn’t even a part number for it.  Sorry and I hope you find what you need for your friend.

steve

Cheryl Alm

Thank you so much for checking on this.  My friend has moved since she purchased her machine and she is working with a different dealer and was fearful that she was being misguided. She is older and not really wanting to learn a new machine especially since she has purchased the RE hoop and other accessories.  I'll let her know what you were able to find out.  Thanks again for your time and thoughtfulness.