12000 Embroidery Arm Connection

Cheryl Alm

I’m making an inquiry for a friend who owns a 12000.  I’m including a photo of the connection on her machine where the embroidery arm connects.  It’s easy to see the damage.  She has been told that this part cannot be ordered and she would have to purchase a new embroidery unit that would cost approximately $1,500.00.  She was then told that she would be better off to upgrade to a newer machine.  Just looking for opinions since she felt like they were more interested in selling a machine instead of ordering a part.  Thanks for any insight.

Jim Stutsman

The part itself was probably manufactured specifically for Janome by a company in Japan. The cost of creating parts like this is high - engineering, prototyping, molds, etc. On devices like TVs and computers that cost is spread out over hundreds of thousands of devices, so it’s pretty low. High end sewing machines are nowhere near that kind of volume, so the part price will be substantially higher. Say it was $100, just for the sake of argument. It’s a part that almost never fails on its own, so they don’t stock it in the various Janome country offices. That leaves no option except to replace the entire embroidery unit. Even if you could get someone in Japan to source the part, package and air ship it, the cost would be quite high. Your best option might be to try and find a machine that has been damaged beyond repair, and could be cannibalizes for parts. That’s unlikely. I would suggest contacting Janome technical support directly and seeing whether they might be able to do something.

Anne Stoye

At some stage I would expect the dealer to get a 12000 as a trade in with other things the matter and unrepairable or not worth repairing (I thought my machine might be nearing that stage last week but it has been reprieved) and spare parts can be harvested.  But there is a point when it is not worth spending a lot of money on repairing an ageing and well-used machine relative to the cost of a replacement.  I was considering the Atelier/Skyline 9 if my 12000 was to be written off.  I don’t do or need mega size embroidery and I think this machine would have ticked all my boxes. 

Anne

Cheryl Alm

Thanks, Jim, for that information and explaining it so well.   I’ll pass it on to my friend.  
Cheryl

On Nov 4, 2020, at 10:07 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

The part itself was probably manufactured specifically for Janome by a company in Japan. The cost of creating parts like this is high - engineering, prototyping, molds, etc. On devices like TVs and computers that cost is spread out over hundreds of thousands of devices, so it’s pretty low. High end sewing machines are nowhere near that kind of volume, so the part price will be substantially higher. Say it was $100, just for the sake of argument. It’s a part that almost never fails on its own, so they don’t stock it in the various Janome country offices. That leaves no option except to replace the entire embroidery unit. Even if you could get someone in Japan to source the part, package and air ship it, the cost would be quite high. Your best option might be to try and find a machine that has been damaged beyond repair, and could be cannibalizes for parts. That’s unlikely. I would suggest contacting Janome technical support directly and seeing whether they might be able to do something.

Steve

I work as a Janome authorized technician.  Yesterday I looked to see if this part was available but it cannot be ordered.  The only way to get it is by removing it from a donor machine.  There isn’t even a part number for it.  Sorry and I hope you find what you need for your friend.

steve

Cheryl Alm

Thank you so much for checking on this.  My friend has moved since she purchased her machine and she is working with a different dealer and was fearful that she was being misguided. She is older and not really wanting to learn a new machine especially since she has purchased the RE hoop and other accessories.  I'll let her know what you were able to find out.  Thanks again for your time and thoughtfulness. 

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of Steve <stevennelda@...>
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2020 6:27:26 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 12000 Embroidery Arm Connection

I work as a Janome authorized technician.  Yesterday I looked to see if this part was available but it cannot be ordered.  The only way to get it is by removing it from a donor machine.  There isn’t even a part number for it.  Sorry and I hope you find what you need for your friend.

steve

Cheryl Paul

Hi Cheryl Alm,
Your friend has the 12000 and the embroidery arm for it is exactly the same as the one used on the 15000.  Those 2 machines also use the same hoops, so if she upgraded the RE hoop would be useful to her on the new machine.  She really should take the machine in to have the dealer look at it.  Perhaps if you live close you could go with her to help with a decision and to see that she isn't feed a "bill of goods" by them.  If they are a good honest people, she shouldn't have a problem, but we know that isn't always what happens in this world we live in.  

I also had a problem with my 12000 and the plug in point on the machine had some crushed holes in it and the pins would not fit, so the attachment would connect.  I had to have that cord replaced and it cost me over $100 USD to have repaired - I'm Canadian and was on holiday in the Arizona when this happened immediately when arriving and setting up my machine.  It took most of the month I was there to get the part, but at least the sewing machine sewed and Mulqueen's help my place in the cue so that I could go to classes and sew.  While there I had a another catastrophe when the upper looper snapped off on my 1200D Serger - that I had fixed when I got back home to Saskatoon - that one warranty covered, so I dodged a bullet there.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Alm

Thanks, Cheryl.   My friend and I no longer live close to one another.  She did take the machine to a local dealer.  She really loves her 12000 and is not interested in a learning curve on another model so she is set on finding another 12000.  Since the 12000 is no TOL they are available for online sales, so if she doesn't find one that has been preowned, she may go that route.
Thanks for your input.  The folks in this group are so helpful and kind. 
Cheryl - Ohio - USA  

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of Cheryl Paul <capaul@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 1:56 PM

Hi Cheryl Alm,
Your friend has the 12000 and the embroidery arm for it is exactly the same as the one used on the 15000.  Those 2 machines also use the same hoops, so if she upgraded the RE hoop would be useful to her on the new machine.  She really should take the machine in to have the dealer look at it.  Perhaps if you live close you could go with her to help with a decision and to see that she isn't feed a "bill of goods" by them.  If they are a good honest people, she shouldn't have a problem, but we know that isn't always what happens in this world we live in.  

I also had a problem with my 12000 and the plug in point on the machine had some crushed holes in it and the pins would not fit, so the attachment would connect.  I had to have that cord replaced and it cost me over $100 USD to have repaired - I'm Canadian and was on holiday in the Arizona when this happened immediately when arriving and setting up my machine.  It took most of the month I was there to get the part, but at least the sewing machine sewed and Mulqueen's help my place in the cue so that I could go to classes and sew.  While there I had a another catastrophe when the upper looper snapped off on my 1200D Serger - that I had fixed when I got back home to Saskatoon - that one warranty covered, so I dodged a bullet there.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Maree Mercer

Here in Australia you can buy Elna machines which are actually Janome machines, made in the Janome factory, the only difference being the branding. I lost my much loved Janome 12000 in the Townsville NQ 2019 flood event and have replaced it with an Elna 920, which is EXACTLY the same as the Janome 14000, and love it. It is very similar to the 12000, with just a few more bells and whistles. I can use all my Janome accessories on it. All the menus etc would be very familiar to someone who has used a Janome 12000. The Elna equivalent of the 12000 is the Elna 900. Not sure if you can buy Elnas where you are, but worth looking into. Also, they are thousands of dollars less then the Janome.

Cheryl Alm

Yes we have Elnas here in the US.  I heard from my friend today and she has purchased a 12000 from eBay. 

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of Maree Mercer <mareesky54@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2020 5:46:25 PM

Here in Australia you can buy Elna machines which are actually Janome machines, made in the Janome factory, the only difference being the branding. I lost my much loved Janome 12000 in the Townsville NQ 2019 flood event and have replaced it with an Elna 920, which is EXACTLY the same as the Janome 14000, and love it. It is very similar to the 12000, with just a few more bells and whistles. I can use all my Janome accessories on it. All the menus etc would be very familiar to someone who has used a Janome 12000. The Elna equivalent of the 12000 is the Elna 900. Not sure if you can buy Elnas where you are, but worth looking into. Also, they are thousands of dollars less then the Janome.

JoAnn Novak

I have an Elna & a Janome.  I LOVE my Elna, so very happy I bought it.

JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

On 11/8/2020 4:46 PM, Maree Mercer wrote: