10000, SD card, SD card slot

mah_jongg

Have a friend who made 3 sayings (saved as JEF) 20 years ago. Went to use them and discovered one was missing. She asked me to make her a new one. I did and then stitched a sample out on my 550e. Herein lies the problem. I made the saying in Embird (like the original ones were) then saved it to my desktop and to her SD card. The design does not show up when the SD card is inserted into the 10000 (shows up with my SD reader hub). We both have the 10000. Does not show up on my machine either. File folders shows its in there but does not read it when in the machine. Called my dealer. Has no clue and told me to let her know what I find out. Any idea what is causing this? All of her files on the SD card show up on both our machines including the ones she asked me to add in the process. Even tried re-saving the design in Artistic Digitizer, still no luck. I no longer have a direct link connection even with Digitizer. Any and all help would be appreciated.

baffled,
Mahjongg

Jim Stutsman

The 10000 does not have the ability to read SD cards, but I'm guessing what you are calling an SD card is actually CompactFlash in an ATA adapter. The ATA standard is what the slot on the 10000 accepts. File folders on the 10000 are critically important, because it only looks in specific places for embroidery files:

All designs MUST be in a folder starting with embf.
All embf files MUST be in the EMB folder.
None of the embf folders can have more than 100 designs in it.

The size of the CompactFlash card must be smaller than 2GB.

Those are the rules that the 10000 lives by. If the new design is following the rules post a screen capture of the directory of the CompactFlash card.

Tracy

Try rotating your design 90 degrees.  If even 1 stitch is outside the hoop measurements in width or height, the machine won't see the design.  The B hoop for the MC10000/10001 has max embroidery size of 5.5in x 7.9in.  There is also a max stitch count on these machines, 64,000 stitches per design.  Jim gave the other "rules" for the machine in his post.

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

mah_jongg

Attached is file A & B. Highlighted design is the one I'm having an issue with (in the highlighted corresponding folder).  I am the one who added all the designs and named the folders on this ATA Card. Have been doing this since her computer died around the time Vista was released. Up until now, I never had a problem.

thanks,
majongg

Jim Stutsman

Well this certainly stretched the limits of my memory of how the 10000 ATA card storage is organized. My previous reply about folders being in EMB is wrong - the EMB folder was added later, in the 11000 I think. However the problem is clear from your directory printouts. I'm assuming USB A (left image) is working, but B (right image) is not. That's because the 10000 ignores everything on the card except folders EmbF5 through EmbF16. I'm assuming that both machines are at version 3, as earlier versions had other issues with ATA cards. In addition, having extra folders other than the Janome 12 EmbFx folders can cause the machine to get confused and miss some files. This was the first machine to use cards created on a computer. At the time the machine software was written, the standard Windows format for floppy disk was based on a File Allocation Table (FAT). By using the same structure, Janome was able to make the sewing machine media interchangeable with Windows. However they based it on FAT12, which had serious size limits. (Remember this was based on FLOPPY disks.) Later FAT16 was adopted, to allow for up to 2GB on a card, but initially cards could not contain that much. You have to remember that this was early days in computer sewing machine technology. There was not a lot of memory for the machine's software, so it didn't do much in the way of validating card contents.

To solve your problem I would advise copying EVERYTHING off the ATA card to something else - USB stick or hard drive. Then delete everything on the ATA card. Copy back ONLY the EmbF5 through EmbF16 folders. New designs should be added to the card using only those folders. There are some tricks you can use to rename the folders, but you cannot do it in Windows. For more information see the issues of our old 10Talk newsletter in the files section:  10Talk.zip

Barbara Wolcott

Your knowledge of Janome machines and software always amazes me. You have advised on issues  I've had in the past. What would we ever do without you and your continued willingness to help?  Thank you.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:18 AM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Kathy Skagen

I wholeheartedly agree!

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 10:51:29 AM CDT, Barbara Wolcott <barb2220@...> wrote:

[...]

EmbF5 (when in my machine) shows up as AJ. When clicking on this folder I then get the error message: "ATA PC Card Memory Error. Do you want to delete the damaged data or unknown data". When I put my ATA card into my machine I get the same message. Click ok, add design, insert into my machine to get same message again. My ATA card will not read in her machine. We tried that route a while back.

I still have that file on my computer since way back when (dated 2012). Clicked on every file and the only one related to the ATA card is 10talkv2i9. You stated this cannot be done in windows. If I read the file right it needs to be done on the machine.
Am I missing something here?
I do not have a direct connection from computer to machine any more unless this actually works:

Subject: Customizer 10K+ help from Jim's group.io messages
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 04:38:54 GMT

Just thought I'd let you know.  When I got a new computer that had Windows 10 on it - I thought I'd not be able to use my Customizer program at all.  I'd had to update it to the version for the 11K on my Vista computer but it crashed.

Surprise!  I put the cd in the disk drive and installed it and it worked just fine.  Have not had to do any updates, get new drivers, nothing!  I send designs to my 10001 using a compact flash card all the time.  No problems at all.  So- don't worry.  Get Windows 10.  Install the program and I'm hoping you won't have any issues since I didn't.

Meanwhile- I would recommend, since you are having issues putting it back onto your previous computer:
1) turn your computer off and back on and see if the missing areas are back.  May have just been a glitch.
2) If not working correctly- uninstall it again.  Give it plenty of time to do this - like 5min since some of the uninstall might be going on behind the scenes for what you see on the screen.  Turn your computer off.  Wait a FULL 10 minutes without doing anything with the computer.  No typing, button pushing, sorting thru files.... NOTHING.   Then turn the computer back on and re-install it and run the .exe program.
3) Did it work?  I hope so!  If not- you may want to go to the old files from when Jim did the 10K/11K machines.  I know he's put them online and I think there's access from the groups.io 15000 page.  But you can ask him if you can't find them or don't have them saved anywhere.

Sorry I"m not any additional help.  But hope what worked for me will for you too!
Tracy in Nashville, TN
Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

thanks,
mahjongg