Date   
Welcome to the 12000 Group!

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

This group is hosted by Diane and Jim Stutsman. We were Janome dealers for 25 years, until our retirement in early 2011. We are continuing to develop informational products for Janome machines, and the 12000 offers many opportunities. Our products are featured on our website: www.onlinesewing.com

We have had our 12000 for a couple of days, and we're still clearing out space in Diane's sewing room to set it up. The video that comes with the machine is pretty sparse, and the manual leaves a lot unanswered as well. That means we'll be doing a LOT of support material for this machine!

We're moderating membership here to prevent infiltration by spammers. Messages are not currently moderated, but that could change. As the list's "Nana" and "Papa" (5 small people call us by those names), we'll be friendly dictators. No flaming, no spamming, no selling, all the usual "don'ts". For those of you on digest, PLEASE do trim off the excess when responding. Nobody likes reading a digest with previous digests embedded in it. If you break the rules frequently, we'll put you on moderation, and we'd really rather not do that. Even in retirement there are nowhere near enough hours in the day, and having to approve messages is not something we want to do.

Thanks for signing up. Now let's hear from you!

Re: Welcome to the 12000 Group!

joylaytor
 

I just got my machine and it is wonderful! I am very happy that you have started this group! The quality of the machine is great and I especially like the small footprint while still allowing the large hoops! I just barely got into the HorizonLink, so my question may mean I need to study more, but when I click on File Manager, I expected to see the machine's built-in embroidery files show in the File Manager window, but it seems to just quickly copy them to a directory on the PC and I can bring them up from the PC or open them individually on the sewing machine itself and then send them to the computer.
Joy

HorizonLink File Manager

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

It appears that the File Manager is used to move designs back and forth between your computer and the machine. The structure of the 12000 is different from previous models, in that you can work on your computer without being connected to your machine, or even near the machine. When you are ready to sew, you connect and update the machine with the designs you have created or downloaded. That's when File Manager would be used.

Of course we're new to this too, but we're planning on doing a lot of documentation and tutorials for the machine and software. Stay tuned!

--- In janome12000@..., "joylaytor" <joylaytor@...> wrote:

I just got my machine and it is wonderful! I am very happy that you have started this group! The quality of the machine is great and I especially like the small footprint while still allowing the large hoops! I just barely got into the HorizonLink, so my question may mean I need to study more, but when I click on File Manager, I expected to see the machine's built-in embroidery files show in the File Manager window, but it seems to just quickly copy them to a directory on the PC and I can bring them up from the PC or open them individually on the sewing machine itself and then send them to the computer.
Joy

Group update

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

I foolishly published my "Welcome" post before we had any members, so this is a belated welcome to the 18 who have so far signed up. Based on the comments of those who have joined, it appears that about 25% have the machine, 25% are waiting for one and the other half are thinking it over. If you're sitting on the fence, you have some time to make your decision. Production has been slowed because of parts availability, which in turn has been caused by the devastation in Japan from the earthquake and tsunami.

If you're in the 75% of members waiting, be of good cheer! You'll benefit from the experiences of the rest of us! But please don't be "lurkers". This group is only as good as the information shared, and you can contribute even if you only ask questions.

Template Alignment Guides for border designs

Patricia Ward
 

Hi Jim,
Thank you for starting this list as I am sure we will all have many questions. Who better to answer them?

As I anxiously await for the delivery of my machine, I have been reading thoroughly the brochure that was given at the launch party. 

I am referring now to doing border designs and on page 10 it says that some of the included border designs will "automatically create small basting stitches called Template Alignment Guides".  

Here are my questions;
1. I am assuming there is no clothsetter with the 12000.
2. Will the machine automatically do this for all border designs such as those you purchase from another source?
3. Will the new software do that if the machine does not? 

Maybe you and Diane will think it worthwhile to do a newsletter on this subject with the detailed explanations and photos that you sometimes do.  

This is one of the many reasons I wanted this machine.. I want to do borders on curtain valances and bed skirts. 

Pat

Registering Machine

joylaytor
 

Hi, I am trying to register my machine online, but I don't see it listed
on the registration screen. I have emailed Janome about this, but if
anyone has any suggestions, let me know. (I'd rather not rely on the
mail for this.) Thanks.
Joy

Brother vs Janome

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

Just before getting the 12000 Diane was asked to evaluate a Brother 6700D, the top of line model for Brother. It required our entire dining room table to set up. We will do a comparison in the Spring issue, but for those of you "on the fence" I can give you a thumbnail summary. If your main interest is embroidery, and you have the space, the Brother is the way to go. It's not that Janome has bad embroidery, not at all, but the 6700D is better. Not hugely better, but if you look at them side by side, it's better. It's also got more bells and whistles, including the best alignment system I've seen so far.

That said, if you love to sew as well as embroidery, the Brother will make you crazy. It does not sew as well as Janome, not even close. It's also got lots of annoying quirks that you will quickly come to hate. It's as if the sewing functions were just thrown in as an afterthought.

Quality is another area where they differ. Although Janome has had a few missteps in the past, they continue to rise above all others in quality of product. The Brother has a vague feeling of cheapness to it, and the "street" price is below that of the 12000. We only did a few embroideries on it, but the noise level was higher on the last one than it was on the first one. Not loud - probably no louder than the 11000, but noticeably louder than when it came out of the box.

Yes, this is a JANOME list. Yes, I am an ex-Janome dealer, but I'm also looking out for you, the potential customers. I still think the 12000 is the better machine, but I'm also seeing that some long-time Janome dealers are now selling more Brothers than Janome. Brother is more dealer-friendly than Janome, which is probably a big factor.

And that's all I'm going to say about that until the article in Online Sewing.

Re: Brother vs Janome

joylaytor
 

Jim, I don't know anything about Brother - no dealer near me - but in comparing the Janome 12000 with other major TOL brands, it won handily in the quality department and the ease of use, in my opinion.  So far I am very pleased with its all-around wonderful functionality both in sewing, quilting, and embroidery. It just does what I ask of it as a tool for my craft rather than as an end in itself, like some other machines have become.   I am thrilled that it doesn't take up so much room and is so, so quiet!

Joy

 

 


 

Re: Registering Machine

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

This happened with the 7700 when it first came out. Janome outsources most of their website work, and hasn't updated it just yet. I would suggest just sitting back and waiting to register for a month or two. Warranty is not an issue, because all of them are obviously in warranty at this point. Also there may be goodies offered on registration (e.g. the O2 1/4 foot for the 7700) and if you register too early you might get lost in the shuffle and miss out.

--- In janome12000@..., "joylaytor" <joylaytor@...> wrote:

Hi, I am trying to register my machine online, but I don't see it listed
on the registration screen. I have emailed Janome about this, but if
anyone has any suggestions, let me know. (I'd rather not rely on the
mail for this.) Thanks.
Joy

Re: Template Alignment Guides for border designs

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

Pat the alignment stitches are only on the border designs that are installed with the Horizon Link software. They are put there during digitizing, not by the machine. There is no facility within the Horizon Link software to add them to other designs, but you could do that yourself in Digitizer. This is obviously something we're going to have to address in the future, because the documentation for Horizon is really sparse.

In answer to your questions:
1. True, there is no Clothsetter and apparently there will not ever be one.
2. No automatic alignment, but Diane was able to add some marks in the EDIT screen of the machine using the large "T" shaped stitch in the "Normal Sew" group.
3. No, the Horizon Link software does not even seem to have the "Normal Sew" designs.

--- In janome12000@..., Patricia Ward <ward.pm@...> wrote:
I am referring now to doing border designs and on page 10 it says that some
of the included border designs will "automatically create small basting
stitches called Template Alignment Guides".

Here are my questions;
1. I am assuming there is no clothsetter with the 12000.
2. Will the machine automatically do this for all border designs such as
those you purchase from another source?
3. Will the new software do that if the machine does not?

Maybe you and Diane will think it worthwhile to do a newsletter on this
subject with the detailed explanations and photos that you sometimes do.

This is one of the many reasons I wanted this machine.. I want to do borders
on curtain valances and bed skirts.

Pat

Re: Brother vs Janome

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

Copy that! I can't even tell when Diane is sewing on the 12000, which is in the next room.

--- In janome12000@..., "joylaytor" <joylaytor@...> wrote:


Jim, I don't know anything about Brother - no dealer near me - but in
comparing the Janome 12000 with other major TOL brands, it won handily
in the quality department and the ease of use, in my opinion. So far I
am very pleased with its all-around wonderful functionality both in
sewing, quilting, and embroidery. It just does what I ask of it as a
tool for my craft rather than as an end in itself, like some other
machines have become. I am thrilled that it doesn't take up so much
room and is so, so quiet!

Joy

Waiting

Zena M <zena.mayberry@...>
 

Not a happy camper, when I paid a deposit 2 weeks ago I was told I could pick up my machine today. Not so they won't now be available until November. Thank you Jim and Diane for keeping me informed whilst I wait.
Zena

No Longer Waiting

Zena M <zena.mayberry@...>
 

After posting my last message, I recieved a call, I now have my 12000 and I am very impressed with it so far. I now have to wait until the weekend to play some more.
Zena

Re: No Longer Waiting

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

Well that's good news! It wouldn't surprise me if there are people that wind up waiting, though. I think the earthquake and tsunami have disrupted production a lot more than we realize.

--- In janome12000@..., "Zena M" <zena.mayberry@...> wrote:

After posting my last message, I recieved a call, I now have my 12000 and I am very impressed with it so far. I now have to wait until the weekend to play some more.
Zena

Re: She arrived yesterday!

Donna Morton
 

My new 12000 arrived safe and sound yesterday.  I sat and stitched many of the decorative stitches last night.  Today I used the embroidery unit for most of the day.  The 140 X 140 hoop is perfect for the 5 in Hoopsisters quilt I am working on.  I also used the 230 X 230 to work on the Hawaiian applique quilt I designed with the help of the Artistic Sewing Suite.
 
Not a single problem all day.  Smooth running and quite enough that I finally was able to catch up on some of Trevor’s webinars while stitching.
 
Donna M
Canada

waiting also

Liz
 

Hi! I am in Australia and hope to see the 12000 next week when the Dealer brings it back from the launch.
It sounds very exciting. I have many designs in VP3 format so I guess I will be able to convert them to whatever the 12000 format is.
Jim, thank you for starting this list, I am sure we will have lots of questions for you when we get our machines. Liz

Introducing myself

Beverly Leischner
 

Jim asked us to introduce ourselves when we joined.
I live in Alberta, Canada and am looking forward to getting my 12000. We had a launch at our dealers Oct. 4th with Liz from Janome Canada telling and showing us all the great features of this machine and had a chance to sew out a redwork design to see the ease and speed of the machine.
I have decided to move up to the 12000 but am waiting for a decision from oldest daughter as to whether she wants my 11000 or not!
Had nothing but good comments from the new owners at our Janome club meeting this week.
Looking forward to sewing and embroidery on it this winter.
Thanks Jim for starting this list so we can read and learn from each other. I find myself going to this email first every day!! Excited like a kid at Christmas!
Bev, Alberta, Canada

Intro...

christitch <nckrause@...>
 

I've been anticipating the arrival of this machine since the beginning of the summer and I'm so glad to have found this list. I've been googling and you tubing like crazy, trying to find out more info about the new machine and it's so nice to now be part of a group that's enthused about the 12000 and it's capabilities. (In this group I don't feel like I have to justify my trade up for the new machine - y'all understand why I want one!)
I'm also delighted that Jim Stutsman is moderating this list - as a former Janome dealer and the author of Janome machine and software pubs., he brings a wealth of knowledge, an honest evaluation and a sense of humour to the job. Too bad he's a Mac man...kidding, kidding!

Chris in B.C.

Intro

Tina Jensen
 

Hi,my name is Tina, I live in New Zealand and have ordered the 12000, we are having a demonstration on the 12000 on the 2nd November, and our machines don't arrive till sometime in December, I have a question for those of you who already have the machine, does it read the usb stick faster than the 11000 does? also will the thread stand from 11000 fit the 12000, Thanks,Tina.

Re: Intro...

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

Wow Chris, you had me all puffed up like a balloon until you crashed & burned me with that Mac comment! Fortunately I'm not alone - my Apple fans & I brought down the Internet in several places upgrading our i-devices to iOS 5. In the UK the demand was higher than for a World Cup match. It took me most of yesterday to get a good enough connection to update 3 computers, an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. I think we'll hold off on updating Diane's devices for a few days until the demand dies down.

--- In janome12000@..., "christitch" <nckrause@...> wrote:

I've been anticipating the arrival of this machine since the beginning of the summer and I'm so glad to have found this list. I've been googling and you tubing like crazy, trying to find out more info about the new machine and it's so nice to now be part of a group that's enthused about the 12000 and it's capabilities. (In this group I don't feel like I have to justify my trade up for the new machine - y'all understand why I want one!)
I'm also delighted that Jim Stutsman is moderating this list - as a former Janome dealer and the author of Janome machine and software pubs., he brings a wealth of knowledge, an honest evaluation and a sense of humour to the job. Too bad he's a Mac man...kidding, kidding!

Chris in B.C.