Date   

Re: In The Hoop Quilt Block Piecing

Pixey
 

Thanks.  I need to experiment a bit to get a feel on precutting without a lot of waste.  I am guessing the pieces might need to be a bit larger than a hand sewn block would call for?  Then again maybe not.

Pixey


On Mar 26, 2023, at 2:29 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


Pixey, I have done both, and for traditional blocks, pre-cutting is my preferred way. But for Crazy Patchwork I trim as I go to conserve on fabric.
~favymtz 

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 8:31 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Favy.  I had not actually thought of using a light tearaway because I figured removing it would tend to distort the single run line stitching.  

Do you precut your fabric pieces (if so do you use actual or oversized dimensions) or do you stitch and trim in the hoop?

Pixey


On Mar 26, 2023, at 12:36 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


I personally like to use a tearaway because then I can remove it after the block is stitched. When I digitize it I use a 2.0 stitch length in the settings, but even slightly shorter is a good thing as well so that the ripping doesn’t damage the stitches.
~favymtz

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 7:32 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So I have discovered that I do not like sewing pieced quilt blocks.  Despite my best efforts at starting with Accuquilt cut pieces and doing a correct 1/4” seam, anything but the simplest blocks rarely come out the right size.  So I am exploring more the idea of piecing blocks In The Hoop.  I do still have the Quilt in the Hoop app, as well as a few different purchased embroidery design packs for this.  I also know the DIME has a a module for building In The Hoop blocks.  But my quandary is what stabilizer to use. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pixey






--
Favymtz


--
Favymtz


Re: In The Hoop Quilt Block Piecing

favymtz
 

Pixey, I have done both, and for traditional blocks, pre-cutting is my preferred way. But for Crazy Patchwork I trim as I go to conserve on fabric.
~favymtz 

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 8:31 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Favy.  I had not actually thought of using a light tearaway because I figured removing it would tend to distort the single run line stitching.  

Do you precut your fabric pieces (if so do you use actual or oversized dimensions) or do you stitch and trim in the hoop?

Pixey


On Mar 26, 2023, at 12:36 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


I personally like to use a tearaway because then I can remove it after the block is stitched. When I digitize it I use a 2.0 stitch length in the settings, but even slightly shorter is a good thing as well so that the ripping doesn’t damage the stitches.
~favymtz

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 7:32 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So I have discovered that I do not like sewing pieced quilt blocks.  Despite my best efforts at starting with Accuquilt cut pieces and doing a correct 1/4” seam, anything but the simplest blocks rarely come out the right size.  So I am exploring more the idea of piecing blocks In The Hoop.  I do still have the Quilt in the Hoop app, as well as a few different purchased embroidery design packs for this.  I also know the DIME has a a module for building In The Hoop blocks.  But my quandary is what stabilizer to use. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pixey






--
Favymtz


--
Favymtz


Re: In The Hoop Quilt Block Piecing

Pixey
 

Thanks Favy.  I had not actually thought of using a light tearaway because I figured removing it would tend to distort the single run line stitching.  

Do you precut your fabric pieces (if so do you use actual or oversized dimensions) or do you stitch and trim in the hoop?

Pixey


On Mar 26, 2023, at 12:36 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


I personally like to use a tearaway because then I can remove it after the block is stitched. When I digitize it I use a 2.0 stitch length in the settings, but even slightly shorter is a good thing as well so that the ripping doesn’t damage the stitches.
~favymtz

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 7:32 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So I have discovered that I do not like sewing pieced quilt blocks.  Despite my best efforts at starting with Accuquilt cut pieces and doing a correct 1/4” seam, anything but the simplest blocks rarely come out the right size.  So I am exploring more the idea of piecing blocks In The Hoop.  I do still have the Quilt in the Hoop app, as well as a few different purchased embroidery design packs for this.  I also know the DIME has a a module for building In The Hoop blocks.  But my quandary is what stabilizer to use. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pixey






--
Favymtz


Re: In The Hoop Quilt Block Piecing

favymtz
 

I personally like to use a tearaway because then I can remove it after the block is stitched. When I digitize it I use a 2.0 stitch length in the settings, but even slightly shorter is a good thing as well so that the ripping doesn’t damage the stitches.
~favymtz

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 7:32 AM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So I have discovered that I do not like sewing pieced quilt blocks.  Despite my best efforts at starting with Accuquilt cut pieces and doing a correct 1/4” seam, anything but the simplest blocks rarely come out the right size.  So I am exploring more the idea of piecing blocks In The Hoop.  I do still have the Quilt in the Hoop app, as well as a few different purchased embroidery design packs for this.  I also know the DIME has a a module for building In The Hoop blocks.  But my quandary is what stabilizer to use. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pixey






--
Favymtz


In The Hoop Quilt Block Piecing

Pixey
 

So I have discovered that I do not like sewing pieced quilt blocks. Despite my best efforts at starting with Accuquilt cut pieces and doing a correct 1/4” seam, anything but the simplest blocks rarely come out the right size. So I am exploring more the idea of piecing blocks In The Hoop. I do still have the Quilt in the Hoop app, as well as a few different purchased embroidery design packs for this. I also know the DIME has a a module for building In The Hoop blocks. But my quandary is what stabilizer to use. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pixey


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Tericloth
 

Thank you, I will try that too!!!


From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of Marsha_Comcast <mminten@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 2:19 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Skyline S9 - USB Error
 
Kaye,
The software I used was Premier+2 and Janome's Artistic Digitizer. Both showed the design fitting in the hoop size just fine and oriented correctly. But thank you I know that can be a problem for some.


Re: Digitizer MBX

favymtz
 

That’s a great feeling for all of us who have been following!

Favymtz

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Donna Goldbeck via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2023 10:45 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Digitizer MBX

 

I was able get the software on my new computer yesterday.  Such a great feeling!
Donna

 


--
Favymtz


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Cheryl Paul
 

Hi Marsha,

I have 2 S9’s (don’t ask why?). If you would like I could check to see if a design loads on my machines. Obviously I can’t use your USB, but I could try with one of mine. I only use a MacBook Pro and for many years now. I have Parallels which allows me to run Windows 10 (haven’t upgraded yet to 11), so I do format my USB’s there to clear them off - mostly because I haven’t learned “HOW” to format on the Mac. I usually then, take the USB to my sewing machine to have it do it’s thing and place a file structure - I know it can be done by sending a file from software on the computer, but I know that the machine works too. Then I go back to the computer and copy the files into a folder that the sewing machine has made. The only failures I have is when an USB decides to not function, now matter how many times I format it - at that point I assume that it is “dead” and needs to be thrown out. I have run across a stitch being outside “the zone” of the hoop a few times, and so long ago that I don’t remember if it was something I digitized, or one that I just changed from a non-Janome format from a purchased design where JEF wasn’t an option in the list of formats to be purchased. This was sometimes a difficult thing to find as I tend to use the look of the “sewn” design rather than the “stitches” picture on the screen. The “stitches” picture shows all the thread paths - at least in Digitizer V5.5 and other programs as well - in Artistic Digitizer, if a design doesn’t fit in the hoop selected it changes colour so you know that something isn’t correct immediately - that’s maybe the best feature of that program - as you all know, Artistic Digitizer isn’t my favourite program, but as it it totally compatible to my new Continental M17, I do use it.

Just let me know if you are interested in what I’ve suggested and we can work through Jim to get you my email address.

Cheryl - Saskatoon


Re: Digitizer MBX

 

I was able get the software on my new computer yesterday.  Such a great feeling!
Donna


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Jim Stutsman
 

My mistake - Apple's obsession with privacy has affected more than a few Mac apps. As you say, most machines should ignore the hidden files. In particular, since Janome's Artistic Digitizer is available as a Mac app, and cannot escape the presence of hidden files on a USB drive, the machines must be capable of ignoring them.


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Mattes
 

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 10:40 PM, Jim Stutsman wrote:
StitchBuddy for Mac allows you to put files on USB drives while eliminating those files, and it also sorts out where the files should go.
Apologies, but I need to correct here, sorry Jim: When moving StitchBuddy into Apple's App Store I had to drop the "delete hidden files" feature as it didn't comply with store guidelines ("Sandboxing"). So StitchBuddy still helps to transfer designs to USB drives, but doesn't remove these files anymore. Fortunately most modern embroidery machines seem to ignore them...

Mattes


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Jim Stutsman
 

Macs use hidden files to keep track of options set for each folder on a device, including USB drives. When you look at a USB that was made on a Mac, those files will start with a period (or dot if you prefer). StitchBuddy for Mac allows you to put files on USB drives while eliminating those files, and it also sorts out where the files should go.


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Irene Lowe
 

Hi Marsha,

I don't know about others but I had a similar error message when I was using a Mac.  It seems the Mac was putting a "ghost" file on the USB and the machine did not like reading the ghost file and put up this error message.  Perhaps you could try reformatting the USB stick that goes into the S9 on a Windows machine and do not put any other files on that stitch except for the JEF file you wish to see.  Make sure it is in the EMB or EMBF folder.  Janomes do not like a lot of files on the stick as they have problems reading all of them.

Also I know you have said that you have looked at the file and it fits in the hoop but Janome machines are fussy about how they read the files so try to reduce the size a little bit or rotate it sideways to fit in the hoop better.  I had that problem too once and that helped me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Irene Lowe
Melbourne, Australia


Re: Trade-up —repair Original 15000

A. Sandra Clark
 

Wow! This is knowledgeable, sensible advice/information.

A. Sandra Clark

On Mar 15, 2023, at 2:44 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

One thing to consider in this question is what “trading up” would look like for you. There has been an assumption that it would mean going to a CM17, because that is the current TOL machine by Janome. But depending on what features you most use on your 15000, there might actually be other machine options for you to consider.

Because I don’t like risking damage taking my irreplaceable 15000 to Bees or workshops, I also have a Janome 9450 and a 500e embroidery machine. The 9450 has all the sewing features of a 15000 Quiltmaker (including the ruler work applications). But it also goes back to a manual style threader that I find works very nicely. I actually like it better for ruler work and free motion because the very nice table extends further to the back since it does not have an embroidery unit. The 500 series embroidery machines have a few quirks (like needing to be oiled in a lot of locations) but have similar on screen features, sew out nicely, and have good sized hoops that actually are more economical when it comes to stabilizer than the 15000. It works great for most basic embroidery or in the hoop projects, but I would not try to use it for edge to edge quilting projects because of the throat size and arm location. Buying both these machines would be less expensive than buying a CM17.

Additionally, Janome has moved the 14000 (like the 15000 but without wi-fi and fewer optional accessories included) to their Elna line as the Expressive 920. According to my dealer, all the accessories (Feet, hoops, etc.) are cross compatible.

So it all comes down to what you use your 15000 to do.

Just some things to think about,
Pixey
On Mar 12, 2023, at 2:48 PM, Melanie Dumas <ursuladumas@...> wrote:

Hello all,
I received a call from my service person who said my Quiltmaker mc 15000 May be in need of a Janome technician service check. My zigzag (works) is not perfect and needle threader doesn’t work. Most everything else is ok. Should I consider a trade-up or the possibility of a larger repair bill due to the age of my original MC15000? I have had issues with this machine from day one but have a lot invested in it too. Also, will the feet fit on other machines?









Re: Digitizer MBX

favymtz
 

You’re probably getting plenty frustrated by now!

You have to have the .exe file to make the transfer and you probably didn’t have it at the time you went to Geek?

~f

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Donna Goldbeck via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 1:13 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Digitizer MBX

 

I took your instructions with me and that is what we used. I bought my computer there so it only cost me time and the young man spent a lot of time on my project. There is something that it can’t find but I’m determined to get through this. There is a problem getting my long arm software to load also.

 

 

 

 

 


--
Favymtz


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Marsha_Comcast
 

Kaye,
The software I used was Premier+2 and Janome's Artistic Digitizer. Both showed the design fitting in the hoop size just fine and oriented correctly. But thank you I know that can be a problem for some.


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Marsha_Comcast
 

Thank you Kaye Lessard. I tried that first off. Sadly it showed the files as greyed out and wouldn't open them. 


Re: Skyline S9 - USB Error

Marsha_Comcast
 

Thank you Favymtz. The files are all uncompressed. I put all of the design folders on the drive this time because I was hoping it might read one of the other formats by chance, nope.
These files were the only thing on that USB.
As for level of folders, I tried at the EMB folder level AND the Embf folder level and still wouldn't open the file.

Thanks,
Marsha


Re: Digitizer MBX

 

I took your instructions with me and that is what we used. I bought my computer there so it only cost me time and the young man spent a lot of time on my project. There is something that it can’t find but I’m determined to get through this. There is a problem getting my long arm software to load also.


Re: Trade-up —repair Original 15000

Pixey
 

One thing to consider in this question is what “trading up” would look like for you. There has been an assumption that it would mean going to a CM17, because that is the current TOL machine by Janome. But depending on what features you most use on your 15000, there might actually be other machine options for you to consider.

Because I don’t like risking damage taking my irreplaceable 15000 to Bees or workshops, I also have a Janome 9450 and a 500e embroidery machine. The 9450 has all the sewing features of a 15000 Quiltmaker (including the ruler work applications). But it also goes back to a manual style threader that I find works very nicely. I actually like it better for ruler work and free motion because the very nice table extends further to the back since it does not have an embroidery unit. The 500 series embroidery machines have a few quirks (like needing to be oiled in a lot of locations) but have similar on screen features, sew out nicely, and have good sized hoops that actually are more economical when it comes to stabilizer than the 15000. It works great for most basic embroidery or in the hoop projects, but I would not try to use it for edge to edge quilting projects because of the throat size and arm location. Buying both these machines would be less expensive than buying a CM17.

Additionally, Janome has moved the 14000 (like the 15000 but without wi-fi and fewer optional accessories included) to their Elna line as the Expressive 920. According to my dealer, all the accessories (Feet, hoops, etc.) are cross compatible.

So it all comes down to what you use your 15000 to do.

Just some things to think about,
Pixey

On Mar 12, 2023, at 2:48 PM, Melanie Dumas <ursuladumas@...> wrote:

Hello all,
I received a call from my service person who said my Quiltmaker mc 15000 May be in need of a Janome technician service check. My zigzag (works) is not perfect and needle threader doesn’t work. Most everything else is ok. Should I consider a trade-up or the possibility of a larger repair bill due to the age of my original MC15000? I have had issues with this machine from day one but have a lot invested in it too. Also, will the feet fit on other machines?