Date   

Re: Digitizer Software

atheodossis@...
 

Hi, I do have an update, I got the new software, it is actually Drawstitch but rebranded for Janome. My god, it is so good, and so easy. I have been struggling with Hatch for years, but with this one, I have already digitized 2 projects, and 2 appliques with absolutely great success. It worthes every penny in my opinion. It does a wonderful job getting the design to stitch out. I have both Janome and Bernina,and the results are amazing in both.


Re: Buttonhole inquiry

Cat - N
 

Oh Kathy, I am sorry to have seemed  discouraging…I certainly didn’t mean to discourage you.  By way of explanation for what would be ‘my’ decision if it were ‘my’ machine…

Microcomputers were my hobby long before I went into supporting/building  them, programming them and mainframes, and building/supporting networks, including mainframes, etc.) professionally, then was retired after over 30 years.  

But this:

This process has happened 6 times in a row, with different styles of buttonholes.

is exactly the kind of thing I would call a “hard failure” likely due to hardware because, although the feature appears to work initially, it fails at exactly the same point consistently. 

It is the kind of detail I LOVED hearing from users because it gave me a starting point for resolution, and I HAD to fix it regardless!!!  You have done the testing phase already, and discovered the “point of failure”…something I had to do when they said, “I didn’t do/touch/wasn’t doing anything,” wasting both our times and stopping services to their clients while I worked to discover what had really happened…that they would later admit. lol 

As a ‘computer guy’ for so long, I cannot count the number of times I’ve heard or thought myself, “but it was just working,” and my mental and vocal answers for all machines are:

“Everything works until it breaks”
“Parts are parts and they all break”
“Limping is not working”
“Computers/machines do what they do because they can”
…and…
“PC practical jokes”
…for the ‘phantom failures’ where nothing broke in any reasonable future time or ever broke and maybe never did if again. 

All that said, I have called my dealer about my 15000 because it was working when I turned it off and malfunctioning the next morning when I turned it on.  I blamed myself…”what did I do?” I went through all of my logical “try this’” and the machine remained obstinate.  I suspect the 15000 heard the dealer’s voice on the phone when she said, “would you mind just trying it again and tell me what happens,” (gosh how many times had I told a user those very words!  Lol) and as if by magic, the machine worked perfectly from then until now.  Lol

I have worked with computers that needed to ‘see me in the flesh’ every day, and if they didn’t see me, after no more than 3 days, they quit working. All I ever did to ‘fix’ them was go near them, never touching them. lol 

Also, I had a machine years ago that had a nylon gear that cracked. It caused intermittent failures. I took it to tech shops for the failures again and again, snd was led to believe the issue was ME!!!  Buttonholes we’re particularly problematic because the machine would sew the first ones perfectly, then mess up horribly, and I’d end up trashing the garment. I finally took it apart myself and found the problem…the cracked nylon gear. I never established the exact ‘failure mode’ because it had to do with whether or not ‘conditions’…whatever they were…caused the crack to gap open at a distance sufficient to sew badly or perhaps allowed it to sew correctly. I shipped that machine to my mother, who said her tech ‘could fix anything’ but I also told her exactly what the problem was and which part was broken. That was 1994, just after I bought my Kenmore (made by Janome) that still works perfectly today. 

I’m sure there MUST be an answer to the issue you are having.  I would guess it’s a function of a combination of specific hardware together with software programming that allows machines to sew automatic buttonholes. I wish I knew what might be causing the failure you are experiencing…I would tell you in a heartbeat. I know you’re trying to accomplish something and not getting cooperation from your S7 and likely wasting fabric.  Unfortunately, I’m technical…just not technical with sewing machines. 

So I wonder…is it possible to call the dealer that has serviced your S7 machine before and tell them the specifics in that same detail?  Maybe they can at least tell you something to get you sewing buttonholes again…and I really do hope it doesn’t mean a trip to the repair shop. 

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Nov 11, 2021 at 10:08 AM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

Janome users-----I have received 2 replies to my buttonhole problem inquiry, and both of those replies are definitely discouraging. The bad thing is, that the last time I used the automatic buttonhole foot R, it worked perfectly. Nothing has "happened to" my machine or accessories such as falling off the table, needle strikes/breaks, etc. It works perfectly one day, then the next day for no apparent reason, it loses its mind. I find this very frustrating. 
I mentioned that I always set the tension 2 clicks down from the default setting. I used that setting while stitching this garment, with great results. Soon after I acquired this machine a few years ago, I found that the presser foot pressure default setting was just too tight----causing all fabrics, thin or thick to bunch-up or make ripples just ahead of the needle, in the top layer. I asked my dealer if there was a way to permanently set the default 2 clicks lighter, but there was no information on that. SO, I always change the pressure the 2 clicks lighter and get beautiful, even stitches on all fabrics. 
The fabric I am using for this project is Softshell--fairly heavy outerwear made of 2 bonded layers. The buttonholes will be placed on one thickness of this 2-layer fabric.  The sewing part of this garment (actually a hood for a jacket I already own that has no hood attached...) went very smoothly and I am using the same, rather new needle and thread that I used for the hood itself. I just need the 2 buttonholes for the drawstring, then 4 more along the back neckline, so I can button the hood on and off.    Does anybody else have any suggestions, or am I doomed to taking the machine into the dealer and waiting weeks and weeks for a solution????  
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
Kathy, I have sewn a fair share of automatic buttonholes since I make garments and hubby loves Hawaiian shirts, but have never had anything like perfection on one side and abject failure on the other side of a buttonhole. Maybe it would be something I ‘could’
adjust, but something like that would send me and my machine to the dealer…just from the consistency of the failure if no other reason. 

- Cat (FL)

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Nov 9, 2021 at 10:15 PM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

Greetings fellow Janome Uers---I did not specify my model in the Topic Title bar because I have a suspicion that an answer might pertain to many models and I did not want to miss anyone's good input.

My problem is making buttonholes on my Skyline 7 sew-only machine. I do not really want to go to the work of doing 2 buttonholes in embroidery on my MC500 machine. Plus, I want to correct this problem on my S7.

Here is what happens:  Machine is threaded top and bottom with size 50 regular sewing thread. Buttonhole  foot  R correctly in place, bobbin thread pulled up above needle plate, needle thread passed under the foot and drawn backwards a little bit. BH lever pulled down, a button is mounted on the foot to determine size of buttonhole I want.  Ready to go.

I start stitching, and the stitches are formed, at first sewing away from me, then it reverses and stitches the actual satin stitches to form  the left column of the buttonhole, then it makes the bartack at the bottom, closest to me.  At that point, it is supposed to again stitch away from me, then come back down the right column to form the right side of the buttonhole. But the needle thread somehow "jumps" out of the eye, and no actual stitches form, but the needle goes up and down as if it is stitching. Which, of course, it is not. The thread does not break, it just does not stitch and forms a few loops on the underside. This process has happened 6 times in a row, with different styles of buttonholes. Never had this problem before. The needle has only a few "miles" on it, I have loosened the needle tension 2 clicks, which is normal for ALL sewing on this machine.  No matter what I sew, I always loosen it 2 clicks. Including the garment I am wanting to put these 2 buttonholes in.  BTW, I am using the exact same thread I used to sew the garment .    Any input appreciated.
Kathy Strabel    Camas WA



--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel





Re: Buttonhole inquiry

Kathy Strabel
 

Janome users-----I have received 2 replies to my buttonhole problem inquiry, and both of those replies are definitely discouraging. The bad thing is, that the last time I used the automatic buttonhole foot R, it worked perfectly. Nothing has "happened to" my machine or accessories such as falling off the table, needle strikes/breaks, etc. It works perfectly one day, then the next day for no apparent reason, it loses its mind. I find this very frustrating. 
I mentioned that I always set the tension 2 clicks down from the default setting. I used that setting while stitching this garment, with great results. Soon after I acquired this machine a few years ago, I found that the presser foot pressure default setting was just too tight----causing all fabrics, thin or thick to bunch-up or make ripples just ahead of the needle, in the top layer. I asked my dealer if there was a way to permanently set the default 2 clicks lighter, but there was no information on that. SO, I always change the pressure the 2 clicks lighter and get beautiful, even stitches on all fabrics. 
The fabric I am using for this project is Softshell--fairly heavy outerwear made of 2 bonded layers. The buttonholes will be placed on one thickness of this 2-layer fabric.  The sewing part of this garment (actually a hood for a jacket I already own that has no hood attached...) went very smoothly and I am using the same, rather new needle and thread that I used for the hood itself. I just need the 2 buttonholes for the drawstring, then 4 more along the back neckline, so I can button the hood on and off.    Does anybody else have any suggestions, or am I doomed to taking the machine into the dealer and waiting weeks and weeks for a solution????  
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
Kathy, I have sewn a fair share of automatic buttonholes since I make garments and hubby loves Hawaiian shirts, but have never had anything like perfection on one side and abject failure on the other side of a buttonhole. Maybe it would be something I ‘could’
adjust, but something like that would send me and my machine to the dealer…just from the consistency of the failure if no other reason. 

- Cat (FL)

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Nov 9, 2021 at 10:15 PM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

Greetings fellow Janome Uers---I did not specify my model in the Topic Title bar because I have a suspicion that an answer might pertain to many models and I did not want to miss anyone's good input.

My problem is making buttonholes on my Skyline 7 sew-only machine. I do not really want to go to the work of doing 2 buttonholes in embroidery on my MC500 machine. Plus, I want to correct this problem on my S7.

Here is what happens:  Machine is threaded top and bottom with size 50 regular sewing thread. Buttonhole  foot  R correctly in place, bobbin thread pulled up above needle plate, needle thread passed under the foot and drawn backwards a little bit. BH lever pulled down, a button is mounted on the foot to determine size of buttonhole I want.  Ready to go.

I start stitching, and the stitches are formed, at first sewing away from me, then it reverses and stitches the actual satin stitches to form  the left column of the buttonhole, then it makes the bartack at the bottom, closest to me.  At that point, it is supposed to again stitch away from me, then come back down the right column to form the right side of the buttonhole. But the needle thread somehow "jumps" out of the eye, and no actual stitches form, but the needle goes up and down as if it is stitching. Which, of course, it is not. The thread does not break, it just does not stitch and forms a few loops on the underside. This process has happened 6 times in a row, with different styles of buttonholes. Never had this problem before. The needle has only a few "miles" on it, I have loosened the needle tension 2 clicks, which is normal for ALL sewing on this machine.  No matter what I sew, I always loosen it 2 clicks. Including the garment I am wanting to put these 2 buttonholes in.  BTW, I am using the exact same thread I used to sew the garment .    Any input appreciated.
Kathy Strabel    Camas WA



--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel





Re: Janome 15,000 vs M7

Cat - N
 

I thought it was an interesting feature, too…saw it on BL, but wondered how often it goes wrong and feed dogs get wonky and/or need adjustment. 

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Nov 11, 2021 at 6:05 AM, <Lyn Quine> wrote:

It could be they’ve got behind because other brands have the patent on the technology.  I rather like the idea directional stitching of Brother sewing machines, never had the chance to try it, but who knows perhaps I will on day.  


On 11 Nov 2021, at 02:18, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

My first sewing /embroidery machine was the top of line Babylock machine. At the time I purchased it I paid over $7k for it. This was about 20 years ago.
As many of you know, Babylock & Brother are made by the same company, much like Janome & Elna are.
The Babylock machine had to be rebuilt 2 times at my own expense. The machine wasn't nearly as sturdy, nor was the stitch quality in sewing nor embroidery nearly what we have with our Janome 15k.
Just my real experience!
Now, about the fact that Janome hangs way back when it comes to technology and bells & whistles is true, unfortunately.
I too wish they would step up their game when it comes to some of the very interesting functions that other top of the line machines have.
But I seriously doubt that they will.
Even with that, I'm very pleased with the quality of my machines, it's a better built, better running machine than many others.
--
Favymtz


Re: Drop Box

Fiona Williams
 

Will Answer all questions later got to run to a Rememberance Day Ceremony.

Fiona


On Nov 11, 2021, at 6:06 AM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

 Which version of windows are you using on your computer?  Which version of HLS are you trying to load?  


On 11 Nov 2021, at 10:28, Fiona Williams via groups.io <f.taylorwilliams@...> wrote:

 I wish my Horizon Link Suite would work but as it stands I cannot even load it on my computer. Contacted Janome they sent instructions and they didn’t work either so I have not even been able to even look at it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

 Fiona


On Nov 10, 2021, at 5:01 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

HLS is Horizon LInk Suite. It's the program that comes with the 15000 machine. Horizon Link is used for the 12000, Embroidery Editor for the 500 series of embroidery machines, and AcuTools for the Skyline machine.
--
Favymtz


Re: Drop Box

favymtz
 

Fiona,k Maybe you can let us know what message you're getting when you try to install the HLS and we can give some input.
--
Favymtz


Re: Drop Box

Lyn Quine
 

Which version of windows are you using on your computer?  Which version of HLS are you trying to load?  


On 11 Nov 2021, at 10:28, Fiona Williams via groups.io <f.taylorwilliams@...> wrote:

 I wish my Horizon Link Suite would work but as it stands I cannot even load it on my computer. Contacted Janome they sent instructions and they didn’t work either so I have not even been able to even look at it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

 Fiona


On Nov 10, 2021, at 5:01 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

HLS is Horizon LInk Suite. It's the program that comes with the 15000 machine. Horizon Link is used for the 12000, Embroidery Editor for the 500 series of embroidery machines, and AcuTools for the Skyline machine.
--
Favymtz


Re: Janome 15,000 vs M7

Lyn Quine
 

It could be they’ve got behind because other brands have the patent on the technology.  I rather like the idea directional stitching of Brother sewing machines, never had the chance to try it, but who knows perhaps I will on day.  


On 11 Nov 2021, at 02:18, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

My first sewing /embroidery machine was the top of line Babylock machine. At the time I purchased it I paid over $7k for it. This was about 20 years ago.
As many of you know, Babylock & Brother are made by the same company, much like Janome & Elna are.
The Babylock machine had to be rebuilt 2 times at my own expense. The machine wasn't nearly as sturdy, nor was the stitch quality in sewing nor embroidery nearly what we have with our Janome 15k.
Just my real experience!
Now, about the fact that Janome hangs way back when it comes to technology and bells & whistles is true, unfortunately.
I too wish they would step up their game when it comes to some of the very interesting functions that other top of the line machines have.
But I seriously doubt that they will.
Even with that, I'm very pleased with the quality of my machines, it's a better built, better running machine than many others.
--
Favymtz


Re: Drop Box

Fiona Williams
 

I wish my Horizon Link Suite would work but as it stands I cannot even load it on my computer. Contacted Janome they sent instructions and they didn’t work either so I have not even been able to even look at it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

 Fiona


On Nov 10, 2021, at 5:01 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

HLS is Horizon LInk Suite. It's the program that comes with the 15000 machine. Horizon Link is used for the 12000, Embroidery Editor for the 500 series of embroidery machines, and AcuTools for the Skyline machine.
--
Favymtz


Re: Janome 15,000 vs M7

favymtz
 

My first sewing /embroidery machine was the top of line Babylock machine. At the time I purchased it I paid over $7k for it. This was about 20 years ago.
As many of you know, Babylock & Brother are made by the same company, much like Janome & Elna are.
The Babylock machine had to be rebuilt 2 times at my own expense. The machine wasn't nearly as sturdy, nor was the stitch quality in sewing nor embroidery nearly what we have with our Janome 15k.
Just my real experience!
Now, about the fact that Janome hangs way back when it comes to technology and bells & whistles is true, unfortunately.
I too wish they would step up their game when it comes to some of the very interesting functions that other top of the line machines have.
But I seriously doubt that they will.
Even with that, I'm very pleased with the quality of my machines, it's a better built, better running machine than many others.
--
Favymtz


Re: Janome 15,000 vs M7

Ceil J
 

Pixey,
Your experience reminds me of what I found when I was looking for a new machine about 6-7 years ago when I bought my 15000.  I did go to the Brother dealer and they had a group of women doing embroidery there.  It looked like a fun group and I wanted to get the TOL Brother machine at the time and join them.  But when I actually tried out the machine it seemed cheaply made (and this was their TOL at the time) and I didn't like how it stitched.  But the dealer kept showing me all the features it had such as a laser.   As I had been to many shops and different brands before this I asked him if he did the repairs himself and he said that he had been doing all the repairs right in his shop BUT he could only do some simple cleaning on this one as "they jammed so much stuff in there".  Well, I didn't really like the stitching and feel of the machine and sending it away if there was an issue was a deal breaker for me.  I visited 3 Janome dealers and loved the quality of the machine.  My dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away but he is fantastic- honest, kind, and helpful and he really knows his stuff.  There were two other dealers who was closer but one made a point of bad-mouthing the other brands and another didn't do repairs (they had another store they sent them to).  I've been happy with my choice!


Re: Drop Box

favymtz
 

HLS is Horizon LInk Suite. It's the program that comes with the 15000 machine. Horizon Link is used for the 12000, Embroidery Editor for the 500 series of embroidery machines, and AcuTools for the Skyline machine.
--
Favymtz


Re: Buttonhole inquiry

Cat - N
 

Kathy, I have sewn a fair share of automatic buttonholes since I make garments and hubby loves Hawaiian shirts, but have never had anything like perfection on one side and abject failure on the other side of a buttonhole. Maybe it would be something I ‘could’
adjust, but something like that would send me and my machine to the dealer…just from the consistency of the failure if no other reason. 

- Cat (FL)

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Nov 9, 2021 at 10:15 PM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

Greetings fellow Janome Uers---I did not specify my model in the Topic Title bar because I have a suspicion that an answer might pertain to many models and I did not want to miss anyone's good input.

My problem is making buttonholes on my Skyline 7 sew-only machine. I do not really want to go to the work of doing 2 buttonholes in embroidery on my MC500 machine. Plus, I want to correct this problem on my S7.

Here is what happens:  Machine is threaded top and bottom with size 50 regular sewing thread. Buttonhole  foot  R correctly in place, bobbin thread pulled up above needle plate, needle thread passed under the foot and drawn backwards a little bit. BH lever pulled down, a button is mounted on the foot to determine size of buttonhole I want.  Ready to go.

I start stitching, and the stitches are formed, at first sewing away from me, then it reverses and stitches the actual satin stitches to form  the left column of the buttonhole, then it makes the bartack at the bottom, closest to me.  At that point, it is supposed to again stitch away from me, then come back down the right column to form the right side of the buttonhole. But the needle thread somehow "jumps" out of the eye, and no actual stitches form, but the needle goes up and down as if it is stitching. Which, of course, it is not. The thread does not break, it just does not stitch and forms a few loops on the underside. This process has happened 6 times in a row, with different styles of buttonholes. Never had this problem before. The needle has only a few "miles" on it, I have loosened the needle tension 2 clicks, which is normal for ALL sewing on this machine.  No matter what I sew, I always loosen it 2 clicks. Including the garment I am wanting to put these 2 buttonholes in.  BTW, I am using the exact same thread I used to sew the garment .    Any input appreciated.
Kathy Strabel    Camas WA


Re: Drop Box

Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...>
 

Hi Carole.

I don’t know what HLS is, sorry.  

Dropbox is like a file drawer.  All your files are in the cloud in Dropbox.  On any device where you login to Dropbox, you can see your files. 

Yes if you save a design into a Dropbox folder on the Mac (or any device), you can open it on any other device where you’re logged into Dropbox, or you’re accessing Dropbox from explorer or Finder!



Maria Morrow
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Nov 10, 2021, at 11:19 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

Thank you Maria for your reply. I have Dropbox on my Mac so I need to get it onto the PC.  Once I do that, I assume I can put a design in Dropbox on my MAC, then open it on the PC. Do I then click/drag to HLS?  I just don’t know how to get the design out of Dropbox on the PC.  My PC friends are not embroiderers and don’t understand the HLS software.
Thanks,
Carole



On Oct 31, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...> wrote:

Dropbox is yours anywhere you login to it.  If you login on your pc, mac,
Phone, tablet, it is there—-but it is there for anyone to see if you don’t have a password lock on your device.  

I have benefited from Dropbox a thousand times in 5 years.  I can look at my recipes when at the grocery  store.   I can look at the quilt pattern to see how many yards of this or that I need.   I can send files to people anywhere, anytime.  

You can have a lot more in Dropbox than you have space for on a device.   I have a lot of folders in the cloud that I don’t need all the time. I can mark those to be visible on a local device, and they take up space there;  or mark them for the cloud only.  Then I click on the glove up top (on my Mac) and can go directly to the cloud.  

There is a learning curve...like everything.  

My other favorite app is 1Password.  I have all my passwords, account numbers, etc in this app.  I login with the one password and choose what I want to login to. 1Password launches the web page and fills the username and password fields.  If I’m required to change the password, I can change it and 1Password asks me if I want to update it.  One caveat—if I ever forget that single password, the company itself (1Password) cannot and would not give it to me.  It is so heavily encrypted that they can never help you reset it.  I paid $50 for the lifetime app rather than a monthly maintenance amount.  Best app I’ve ever used. 

Maria Morrow
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Oct 31, 2021, at 4:18 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Each computer that Dropbox is installed on looks like a "place" in the file system on that computer. So to get a design into HLS you would just use the normal open function and go to Dropbox on the PC in the file open dialog.


Re: 505 Basting Spray

Cat - N
 

I’m not sure what the answers are. I think we all have needs as well as concerns. It’s not uncommon for me to make gifts that won’t be opened/used for months, so a consumable product like flour is a concern to me. I gave a quilt to a friend at the beginning of October that will be opened as a gift in February 2022, I have one quilt that has waited for about 3-4 years in a plastic bag (long removed from the gift bag) along with the matching pillowcase and has never been washed because its intended recipient that was ‘due any minute now’ back then never moved to this country…yet. 

I had not thought of the flour getting into the bobbin area but that would concern me, too. I guess it would have to be tested fully but probably not by me…lol

Although I am generally a ‘natural stuff’ person, often opposed to, and very sensitive to chemicals, this may be an application where they make more sense to me, even if I have to use special needles and perform other ‘heroics’ to protect myself from breathing sticky, non-natural substances. 

Dunno…

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Nov 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

Cynthia- et al, ----Did you mean to say that you were successful, not UN-successful??   Your post conveyed (to me at least) that you were excited about the recipe.    I have not tried this recipe for home-made temporary basting spray. What I am concerned about is I am afraid that when it is fully dry and you are putting it through the machine to do your quilting, that the food ingredient --in this case, flour--would form tiny flakes and get down into the machine workings.  Like very fine dust. I have not seen any mention of this, only have seen concerns about not allowing it to dry completely, or mold forming while it dries.  I don't know which would be worse----fine flour dust in the machine, or gummed-up needles.  I'm just sayin'......
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA


Re: Janome 15,000 vs M7

Pixey
 

As I frequently lament to my husband with a deep sigh, there is no perfect machine. 

I recently attended an Anita Goodesign workshop where they were also selling high end Brother machines. It is obvious to me that Janome and Brother are taking very different design and market approaches to their products.  Brother is definitely adding a lot more editing features onto the machine and going for bigger hoops.  But I wasn’t as impressed with the overall durability…I saw a lot more plastic on those machines than my Janome machines have.  I also found the user interface a lot more cluttered with extra steps to go through to get to the point of stitching.  Also, they only give you 2 hoops with the machine, one smaller hoop and whatever is the max size hoop for the machine.  So going with the model that you generally want to use the hoop that is closest in size to the design, you can end up having to do a middle sized design in a gigantic hoop.  So it really just depends on what you are wanting as your priorities.

Pixey




On Nov 10, 2021, at 10:20 AM, Fran via groups.io <fmattice4@...> wrote:

Yes, and my dealer said it’s $17,000! 


Re: Drop Box

Carole O'Mara
 

Thank you Maria for your reply. I have Dropbox on my Mac so I need to get it onto the PC.  Once I do that, I assume I can put a design in Dropbox on my MAC, then open it on the PC. Do I then click/drag to HLS?  I just don’t know how to get the design out of Dropbox on the PC.  My PC friends are not embroiderers and don’t understand the HLS software.
Thanks,
Carole



On Oct 31, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...> wrote:

Dropbox is yours anywhere you login to it.  If you login on your pc, mac,
Phone, tablet, it is there—-but it is there for anyone to see if you don’t have a password lock on your device.  

I have benefited from Dropbox a thousand times in 5 years.  I can look at my recipes when at the grocery  store.   I can look at the quilt pattern to see how many yards of this or that I need.   I can send files to people anywhere, anytime.  

You can have a lot more in Dropbox than you have space for on a device.   I have a lot of folders in the cloud that I don’t need all the time. I can mark those to be visible on a local device, and they take up space there;  or mark them for the cloud only.  Then I click on the glove up top (on my Mac) and can go directly to the cloud.  

There is a learning curve...like everything.  

My other favorite app is 1Password.  I have all my passwords, account numbers, etc in this app.  I login with the one password and choose what I want to login to. 1Password launches the web page and fills the username and password fields.  If I’m required to change the password, I can change it and 1Password asks me if I want to update it.  One caveat—if I ever forget that single password, the company itself (1Password) cannot and would not give it to me.  It is so heavily encrypted that they can never help you reset it.  I paid $50 for the lifetime app rather than a monthly maintenance amount.  Best app I’ve ever used. 

Maria Morrow
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Oct 31, 2021, at 4:18 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Each computer that Dropbox is installed on looks like a "place" in the file system on that computer. So to get a design into HLS you would just use the normal open function and go to Dropbox on the PC in the file open dialog.


Re: Buttonhole inquiry

Roberta K
 

Hi Kathy,

I have stitched  a lot of buttonholes on my Janome machines but I have never seen that. To me it sounds like you are having tension issues. Also, what type of fabric are you sewing? Does your needle match the fabric? Is the fabric really thick (like for outerwear)? Are you using Janome bobbins, because that can also create problems.

Roberta in FL


Re: Janome 15,000 vs M7

Fran
 

Yes, and my dealer said it’s $17,000! 


Re: 505 Basting Spray

Kathy Strabel
 

Cynthia- et al, ----Did you mean to say that you were successful, not UN-successful??   Your post conveyed (to me at least) that you were excited about the recipe.    I have not tried this recipe for home-made temporary basting spray. What I am concerned about is I am afraid that when it is fully dry and you are putting it through the machine to do your quilting, that the food ingredient --in this case, flour--would form tiny flakes and get down into the machine workings.  Like very fine dust. I have not seen any mention of this, only have seen concerns about not allowing it to dry completely, or mold forming while it dries.  I don't know which would be worse----fine flour dust in the machine, or gummed-up needles.  I'm just sayin'......
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

1621 - 1640 of 30859