Date   

Need

Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...>
 

Can anyone tell me what hoops in the size range of 5 x 7 will fit the 15000? I sold my 15000 and the lady who bought it isn’t on this group. I’d like to help her out with information on hoops that will work that are bigger than the hat hoop but way smaller than all the other hoops which are quite large.

Thank you,
Maria Morrow


Re: Magnets

Fran
 

Diane’s magnet creation works great on my 15000. Now she’s put them on pieces of wood which I plan to try...once I find the wood. Thank you, Diane!


Re: Schmetz Super Non-Stick Needles

Tracy
 

Janis-
Please do not use alcohol on your hoops.  It will dry out the plastic and then you'll end up with cracked/broken hoops when you least are needing that to happen!! 

There are other things that will clean hoops safely.  My favorites: 1) Baby wipes, 2) Dawn dishwashing liquid in very warm water (I understand other dish soaps also work, but I only have experience with Dawn).  

I personally have cut open many cereal boxes so they are flat.  Put my hoop on top of the cardboard and drawn lines 1/2in to the outside of the hoop and 1/2in to the inside.  Then cut on the drawn lines to make what looks like a picture frame.  Lay the frame on top of the hoop, covering the hoop, when wanting to use spray adhesive and no overspray gets on the hoop.  When the cardboard is too sticky I just throw it away and most of the time have had other cereal boxes that were empty and made more "hoop covers" from them so there are extras in my sewing room already.  This works even for the largest hoops used by the 550e or 15000/14000/12000 models.

Tracy in Nashville, TN
Martha Pullen Licensed Educator


Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

prc
 

DK5 has a spray Cleaning Agent for the removal of adhesive residue that works great removing the 505 adhesive.  Here it is sold right next to the 505 adhesive in the store.


Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

favymtz
 

Maybe all true what you say. And did you know that you shouldn’t use alcohol on the hoops, it dries them out. Maybe yours are damaged.
Favymtz 

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:
Yes, I soaked it with lots of dish detergent and I used one of those green rectangles for scrubbing. (I can't think of the name right now.) I still had to use some rubbing alcohol to get the rest off. I have always had trouble getting it off. Maggie suggested using WD40 and I've tried that, too. I wonder if it is because the hoops are so old. They're from the 10001 so they're about 18-20 years old. Maybe the material was more porous then. I have not used my hoops for the 15000 yet. (Only once) So there's no build up on them. It will be interesting to see if the dish detergent works on them. That's what I would try first.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 08:31:20 PM CDT, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


Kathy, I don’t know why washing didn’t work! Did you scrub them with a dishcloth, not just soaking? I ask because I usually let my hoops get pretty guncky before I wash them because I rather like them a little sticky!
The sticky stuff I typically am removing by washing is the residue from double sided tape, and sticky stabilizer (I stick mine to the hoop not hoop it) and rarely have 505 on my hoops because I spray my fabrics and stabilizer before hooping them. 
Favymtz 

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:
Thanks for that option. I tried the soapy water today but it didn't work very well for me. Maybe the 505 adhesive it too sticky? Or  I waited too long to remove it and the build up was thicker.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:28:00 PM CDT, norma carson <norma7750@...> wrote:


Williams Electric Shave works great!
Norma

On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:12 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.

--
Favymtz


--
Favymtz


--
Favymtz


Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

Kathy Skagen
 

Yes, I soaked it with lots of dish detergent and I used one of those green rectangles for scrubbing. (I can't think of the name right now.) I still had to use some rubbing alcohol to get the rest off. I have always had trouble getting it off. Maggie suggested using WD40 and I've tried that, too. I wonder if it is because the hoops are so old. They're from the 10001 so they're about 18-20 years old. Maybe the material was more porous then. I have not used my hoops for the 15000 yet. (Only once) So there's no build up on them. It will be interesting to see if the dish detergent works on them. That's what I would try first.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 08:31:20 PM CDT, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:


Kathy, I don’t know why washing didn’t work! Did you scrub them with a dishcloth, not just soaking? I ask because I usually let my hoops get pretty guncky before I wash them because I rather like them a little sticky!
The sticky stuff I typically am removing by washing is the residue from double sided tape, and sticky stabilizer (I stick mine to the hoop not hoop it) and rarely have 505 on my hoops because I spray my fabrics and stabilizer before hooping them. 
Favymtz 

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:
Thanks for that option. I tried the soapy water today but it didn't work very well for me. Maybe the 505 adhesive it too sticky? Or  I waited too long to remove it and the build up was thicker.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:28:00 PM CDT, norma carson <norma7750@...> wrote:


Williams Electric Shave works great!
Norma

On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:12 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz


--
Favymtz


Re: Magnets

Kathy Skagen
 

That makes sense. Thanks.

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 07:06:49 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:


The ‘quilting hoop’ magnets will clip onto the SQ23 hoop over the metal bars on both sides of the hoop (I have my ASQ22, SQ23, and FA10 hoops out at the moment due to my most recent projects…but not the GR hoop), but the magnets themselves are ineffective because there is quite a large ‘air gap’ between the metal bars and the magnets.  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Oct 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM, <Kathy Skagen> wrote:

Hi Pixey,
I have seen the words Sew Tites and wondered what they were. Thanks for the idea for another way to use them. Next time you use them on your placemats, I'd love to see a picture of how and where you attach them. I'm new to the 15000 but I'm wondering if the magnets that come with the quilting hoop would work on the GR hoop. 
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:27:48 PM CDT, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:


I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com  No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey






Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

favymtz
 

Kathy, I don’t know why washing didn’t work! Did you scrub them with a dishcloth, not just soaking? I ask because I usually let my hoops get pretty guncky before I wash them because I rather like them a little sticky!
The sticky stuff I typically am removing by washing is the residue from double sided tape, and sticky stabilizer (I stick mine to the hoop not hoop it) and rarely have 505 on my hoops because I spray my fabrics and stabilizer before hooping them. 
Favymtz 

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:
Thanks for that option. I tried the soapy water today but it didn't work very well for me. Maybe the 505 adhesive it too sticky? Or  I waited too long to remove it and the build up was thicker.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:28:00 PM CDT, norma carson <norma7750@...> wrote:


Williams Electric Shave works great!
Norma

On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:12 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz


--
Favymtz


Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

Ceil J
 

I've had success with baby wipes.


Re: Magnets

Helen Aarness
 

Thank you! I found those magnetic clips that were provided to be totally frustrating! I ordered these magnets and hope they work better.

On Oct 20, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops. But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops. They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins. I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity. I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey





Re: Magnets

Pam Davison
 

Thanks -hadn’t heard of these magnets before.  I just ordered some to try them out.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Pixey via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 2:27 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Magnets

 

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com   No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey




 


Re: Magnets

Cat - N
 

The ‘quilting hoop’ magnets will clip onto the SQ23 hoop over the metal bars on both sides of the hoop (I have my ASQ22, SQ23, and FA10 hoops out at the moment due to my most recent projects…but not the GR hoop), but the magnets themselves are ineffective because there is quite a large ‘air gap’ between the metal bars and the magnets.  

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 



On Oct 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM, <Kathy Skagen> wrote:

Hi Pixey,
I have seen the words Sew Tites and wondered what they were. Thanks for the idea for another way to use them. Next time you use them on your placemats, I'd love to see a picture of how and where you attach them. I'm new to the 15000 but I'm wondering if the magnets that come with the quilting hoop would work on the GR hoop. 
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:27:48 PM CDT, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:


I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com  No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey






Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

Kathy Skagen
 

Thanks for that option. I tried the soapy water today but it didn't work very well for me. Maybe the 505 adhesive it too sticky? Or  I waited too long to remove it and the build up was thicker.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:28:00 PM CDT, norma carson <norma7750@...> wrote:


Williams Electric Shave works great!
Norma

On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:12 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz


Re: Magnets

Kathy Skagen
 

Hi Pixey,
I have seen the words Sew Tites and wondered what they were. Thanks for the idea for another way to use them. Next time you use them on your placemats, I'd love to see a picture of how and where you attach them. I'm new to the 15000 but I'm wondering if the magnets that come with the quilting hoop would work on the GR hoop. 
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 02:27:48 PM CDT, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:


I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com  No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey






Re: Schmetz Super Non-Stick Needles

Kathy Skagen
 

Hi Cat,
Thank you for the pictures!! They helped A LOT because that is totally not what I pictured. LOL. I can see how well this design would work--you wouldn't even have to go outside to spray. This would contain the overspray.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 01:00:45 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:


Kathy, it's an extremely 'scientific and technical' contraption...LOL  I took a few photos so you don't have to imagine it.  It is sitting on a small blue cutting board (June Tailor, I think...for scale) and you can kind of get an idea how big it is by counting the grid.  I also set it on my SQ23 hoop (in its bag...230mm x 230mm), which I used the other day and plan to be using again soon, and I took a photo of it kinda showing the height.    You can even see the Halloween log cabin blocks I am working on...two roughly identical throws for cozy and decor if temps stay too warm.  I don't do a lot of spraying in my hoops most of the time, but this is quick and easy to make, doesn't involve much expense so is completely trashable and requires no storage if I decide to discard them after every go-round of whatever I need basting spray ITH.

- Cat (FL)


-----Original Message-----
From: Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Schmetz Super Non-Stick Needles

Cat,
That is a great idea! I made a template that is flat with an opening so that the hoop is covered but sometimes a little spray gets on the hoop. I think your idea would definitely work better! I always use the spray outside. (I don't make quilts.) I don't want any overspray to fall on my table or floor. I will try to recreate your idea.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 10:05:05 AM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:


It 'might' be that I am just too 'lazy' (or have too little time) to clean up a sticky mess if I can avoid creating one in the first place...Thinking face...but I made a 'square tube' out of copy/printer paper (4 pieces taped together) and I set it in the hoop if I NEED to spray stabilizer/fabric with basting spray so none of the sticky stuff ever gets on my hoops...hopefully.  All the over spray collects on the interior of the 'square tube' and if the square tube gets too yuckie on the inside, I just make a new one.  It might be a bit fiddly (and eccentric...LOL) but I also don't want to breathe that icky-sticky stuff...I have enough breathing issues without adding more by my own hand.

I use the square tube to spray inside of/through when sandwiching quilts, too, especially if/when near an area that over spray might/would get something else yuckie...such as near edges...and I 'lift up/curl' the backing/batting upward when working toward corners when spraying, too, so any over spray has a 'dam' to 'flow' toward...not my table or surroundings, and to prevent the ceiling fan from spreading it randomly throughout the room.

I keep all suggested hoop cleaning tips though...never know when they might just save my day!  Thank you so much!

- Cat (FL)


Re: Issue after 15000 Upgrade

Cheryl Paul
 

Just picked up my 15000. It was as I suspected - a very messed up threader unit. It is all fixed supposedly, but I haven’t had a chance to try it out. I will only post again if it doesn’t work and needs another visit to my dealer. Eric is very good at his job, so I’m confident that it will work great. I have another machine sitting in it’s spot, so I have to wait until hubby gets home to move the machines around again.

Happy sewing.

Cheryl - Saskatoon


Re: Sticky Stuff off hoops

norma carson
 

Williams Electric Shave works great!
Norma

On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:12 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz


Magnets

Pixey
 

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops. But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops. They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins. I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity. I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey


Re: Schmetz Super Non-Stick Needles

Janis Kawecki
 

I use a cardboard shield and a plastic shield.  If any get on the hoop, isopropyl alcohol will take it off.  I keep a box of little prewrapped alcohol pads, 1x2.  Handy.


On Wed, Oct 20, 2021, 8:12 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Re getting sticky stuff off of hoops.
When I was a new embroiderer I used to use a very smelly spray that was designed for cleaning hoops, because I was told that's what to use. Yukk.
Finally I just resorted to filling up the kitchen sink with very warm water & dish soap, brand doesn't matter.
Wash them as you would a dinner plate, The hoops come out sparkling clean.
--
Favymtz


Re: Issue after 15000 Upgrade

Cat - N
 

Oh boy...not what you want to have happen.  No weird noises and definitely nothing stuck where it shouldn't stick.  I hope the repair goes well and your machine is back with you quickly.

- Cat (FL)



-----Original Message-----
From: Cheryl Paul <capaul@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Issue after 15000 Upgrade

My 15000 is in at the dealers now.  I had the needle threader throw a fit and wouldn’t come out of the needle.  I had done the up/down, locked the machine and pushed the button.  The threader came down snapped into place and then jammed.  It didn’t release easily and when it did it didn’t “to home”, so I pushed it into place.  Immediately I got a message on the screen to “power off, raise the needle bar slowly, etc.”  - can’t remember exactly what it said and didn’t have my phone handy to take a picture.  This happened a few times and each time the machine made a funny noise, not loud but just not the sound you want to hear.  I knew immediately as this had happened once before at another store, that also sell Janome and I know them well too.  Their technician took my machine and fixed it and this would have been before COVID.  She explained that the shaft for the needle threader and the one for the needle had crossed over, so one wouldn’t let the other do it’s job - at least that is how I understood it.  So when this happened, I took a look, never touched anything, but couldn’t really see what she’d been telling me about, so I took it in to the store where I bought it.  It was due to be serviced anyway, so it was no big deal. 

This morning the technician called and said that it was ready - This is Wed. October 20 and I just took it in on Mon. Oct. 18th.  I was only due to take it in today (20th) just for the fix.  I’m hoping that the WHOLE service got put on the take-in receipt as this machine is too heave for me to more than lift off the counter set on the floor or on the next sewing table IF it is close.  My hubby even finds it quite heavy but he’s a gem and carries it into the car, store and then does the reverse of all that.

I’ll keep you posted on what happens next.

Cheryl - Saskatoon




1341 - 1360 of 30351