Left needle position with convertible free motion foot

Gail

I recently upgraded from the 8900 to the 15000. I just purchased the convertible free motion foot for the 15000 and it says to use the left needle position.  I put my straight stitch plate on like I did with the 8900 but could not move the needle to the needle hole on the left.  I could only do this with the zigzag plate on.  I realize this is a safety feature, but there was a setting on the 8900 that allowed you to do this.

With the 8900 I was told it was important to use the straight stitch plate for free motion because it would give better stitch quality but I can't seem to do this with the 15000.  Am I missing something or is there a way to do this.

Gail in FL

Speaking from the center, Jim says:

The Convertible Free Motion Set is designed to work in center needle position. If you could move the needle to the left, it would completely miss the open toe and eyelet foot. Additionally the straight stitch plate for the 15000 already has a single hole in the center. All you need to do is select the straight stitch, center needle, when using that foot. Drop the feed dogs or leave them up, whichever is your preference.