Re: 2 questions

janetpiekarski

Actually, there IS a reference to the cleaning bottle. If you look at the package of stabilizer with Jenny Haskins sheet in it, there is a little "how to" to clean the case after using specifically her stabilizer.
Also, as a note of interest, anyone who has received their 12000 in the past few weeks or month. Check before you upgrade it. To check, watch when you turn it on and it version 1.01 comes up Janome has already upgraded it. (I know this because mine came in like this-there is a sticker on the box, too, with the serial number and in big letters, Version 1.01)

Yes we got the little bottle of "bobbin case cleaner" as well, with no hint of how it is to be used. My best guess is that it's for cleaning the bobbin case and hook race, which is only necessary after prolonged use of sticky stabilizer. As you sew tiny bits of sticky residue accumulate on the bobbin case, hook race, and even the feed dogs. This leads to stitch problems, such as loops on top and bottom of the fabric. In servicing machines I would use cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol to clean these parts. It's a lengthy and tedious process that caused me to hate sticky stabilizers with a passion. We had several customers who used nothing else, so they would never have to hoop anything. It was not kind to their machines!

The oil wick is probably the most often discussed item on any Janome machine, and it has been elevated to the mythical status enjoyed by Bigfoot and his friends. For those who just got your machine, under the bobbin case is an off-white bit of fuzz that looks like it might be lint. Don't pull it out! That's a wick for holding oil. As you use the machine it will darken. The machine did not come with oil. If you have oil that is CLEARLY MARKED for sewing machine use, you can put ONE DROP of oil on the wick every 30-40 hours of sewing. If you don't, it's OK. I routinely serviced machines that NEVER oiled the wick, and none had problems. In 25 years I had only 2 machines that were presented with very loud screeching due to the wick being totally dry. In both cases the machines were filthy and had been used for at least a dozen years without any cleaning or service. Cleaning and oiling restored them to full function. So if you never oil the wick, but get your machine serviced every year or two, you'll be just fine. If you have strange problems or noises, oiling the wick will almost certainly do nothing for you. Over-oiling it will make a big mess, and may cause problems in the machine. If you want to feel like a good "mom" to your machine, and you have the oil and know how to use it, that's fine, but if you don't nothing bad will happen. And if you have pulled out the wick by mistake, your life is not over. Putting it back is just about as easy as putting toothpaste back into the tube. You can have your dealer order and put in a new part containing a wick, but that's expensive and time consuming. Instead you can cut about 1" of pipe cleaner, bend it into a "V" shape and push it into the hole, cut ends first. This will serve the same function, and I did it many times on the service bench while servicing machines for owners who were not even aware that the wick was gone.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "songnbird" <songnbird@> wrote:

1. My 12K came with a little vial of cleaner, but I see no reference to it in the instruction book. What is it used for?
2. There is no reference to putting a drop of oil on the felt in the bottom of the bobbin area like we have always done in previous models. Is this still recommended?
Thanks for clearing this up for me,
Linda near Buffalo, NY