Re: 1/4 inch seam with dual feed

mel2sew

I was going to mention the thread weight and its affect on the 1/4" seam.  Glad it was brought up.  If I use a a 50 weight, I adjust to a scant quarter inch but usually I piece with 60 weight Presencia so I rarely have a problem.

Melanie

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM, <capaul@...> wrote:

A scant ¼" allows for the room the thread takes up in a seam.  It makes the block turn out at exactly the measurement required rather than a wee bit shy of what ever the measurement should be.  I didn't think it mattered until it was explained by Marci Baker, who is an engineer and mathematician and a great quilter.  Now I try to get that scant ¼" and my quilts are turning out same size from top to bottom on both sides and side to side on top and bottom.  I've finally learned to do something right.  I also use other Janome's besides the 12000 an 15000, especially when I'm away from home.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

---In janome12000@..., <ward.pm@...> wrote:

Scant quarter inch is very handy to do and get precise when you have many points and you want accuracy instead of tips cut off.  Other times because of the number of pieces in a block it can make a big difference in whether or not your block measures the accurate -- let's say 12 1/2 inches rather than 12 or 11 7/8th.
I find precision to be the best when piecing.

I don't use the accufeed for piecing but do use it when sewing on bindings.  It is especially handy to have then.

Pat in MD

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Sheila Godes <sheilargodes@...> wrote:
Melanie
I use the single when stitching a 1/4 " seam and switch to the dual when I am sewing a 5/8"  seam.
I never have understood the "scant" thing.  My suspicion is that was coined for people who can't or perhaps don't want to read a rule; or maybe, for someone not quite as anal as I who figures close is good enough.  Nevertheless, the foot works great.  At first I was hesitant, after all, I have sewn on Pfaffs with IDT for a long long time.  My concerns were thrown out the window as I sat at my dealer testing my beloved 12000.  I am a thrilled owner and my Pfaff Creative Sensation and Creative Vision are going up for sale.

Hope this helps
Sheila

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional