Re: machine so hot the white plastic in the bottom of the bobbin case melted!

gbmko

Dear Jim,
As expensive as these machines are, I guess I want to ask, why is it very easy to get a burr on the hook race? How do we check? Is it always a needle strike, and subsequent needle break that causes it? I get frustrated when I know I've threaded the machine properly, and am sewing along, and the thread somehow, randomly, pops out of the take up lever, and I get that clunky, grinding noise, and thread mess...even if it is just a few stitches...and then have to wonder, did I do that damage so many have written about? And how can I prevent the thread from popping out? Could this be caused by a burr? I've been sewing for 40+ years without this happening, so can't imagine I'm suddenly doing something wrong!?

Do topstitch needles normally sound more clunky than a sharp? I hear a definite difference when I have a topstitch needle in, (like it might be hitting something, but the point feels fine, and stitch quality is good )so was wondering if that was normal.

Thanks! I don't want to be nervous while I'm sewing, afraid I'm going to damage something. I've already ruined the plastic 1/4 inch foot forgetting it doesn't have a 9 mm wide opening on it... at least with my Bernina, and it's all metal feet, I just would break a needle, not the foot!

I need to get my machine in for a sensor check (getting a straight stitching needle plate is set. Please make sure the proper presser foot is attached...when I have my straight stitch foot on the dual feed. Message comes up, and machine stops after 15 seconds of sewing...continuously. ) so I guess I'll have it checked for burrs, too, just in case! Barbara Jean

I've seen this once, although there was no melted plastic. The hook race, which the bobbin case sits in, had a burr on it from a needle strike. With each rotation a tiny amount of dust was "filed" off the bobbin case by the burr. The dust was very fine, and gradually made more and more friction. Eventually the bobbin case got hot enough to expand so much that the hook could no longer turn and the machine stopped.

I've serviced MANY machines with burrs on the hook race. It's very easy to do and most people never notice. In severe cases like yours, it can lead to bigger problems. In other cases all that fine dust and friction will cause the machine to squawk very loudly. A drop of oil silences it for a short while, leading people to think that it's a lubrication problem, and the real cause never gets fixed. About 80% of the time the burr can be carefully polished out, but in the other cases a new hook race is needed. It's a medium difficult repair for an experienced tech.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "lynschieber" <merijschieber@> wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this? I was happily embroidering Saturday when the machine suddenly started making ugly stitches and sounding funny. I stopped it immediately and removed the hoop thinking the bobbin must have a problem. The plate was so hot I had to use a cloth to remove it and the bobbin was hot. I got the bobbin out and realized the white plastic ring at the bottom of the bobbin case had melted! I took the machine to my dealer yesterday and he said he had never seen this happen and did not know what caused it. I am waiting to hear from him. This was a design I have sewn many times and I was running the machine at app 70%, not at the highest speed. The stabilizer was badge master and I was using the Janome blue needle.