Re: Basting quilts with Elmer's glue

Virginia

I have used Elmers glue 505 spray and my favorites KK2000 from Sulky, and Quilters choice basting glue.  I find Elmers does leave little white spots on the fabric and  flecks on the machine.  I am not impressed with the 505 it has gummed up my needle and is hard to clean off of the hoops even with soap and water.  I love the Sulky KK2000 and Quilters choice basting glue, and after I put the quilters choice on the fabric I touch it with my iron and it leaves no residue.

Virginia

In a message dated 6/1/2013 10:19:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jim@... writes:

Elmer's Glue??? Hmmm. I prefer Juicy Fruit gum myself, or duct tape if I'm out of gum.

The glue should not hurt your machine, other than the possibility of tiny bits of it falling into the bobbin area. Regular cleaning should take care of that. In truth I would be more concerned about the 505 spray. I had more than a few customers that used that and spray embroidery adhesive right at their machine. This would leave a sticky residue all over the machine, and inside the throat area. I'd like to get back some of the hours I lost with Q-Tips and alcohol cleaning it out. As long as you spray WELL AWAY from the machine, you should be OK. With both glue and spray I would probably change the needle a little more often.