From: Jim_Stutsman
To: janome12000@...
Sent: Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:23 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Tension problems for Ordinary Sewing

When the machine is threaded and set for straight stitch #1, sew an inch or so and stop, leaving the foot down. Cut the needle thread at the front of the needle, above the eye, grab the free end and pull on it. You should feel a lot of resistance. If it comes easy, then the problem is in the needle tension and you'll need dealer assistance. If, however, the thread is fairly hard to pull, raise the foot, clip the bobbin thread and remove the fabric. Pull on the free end of the bobbin thread. It should come much easier than the needle thread, with just a little resistance. Compare the resistance of the regular bobbin case against that of the yellow dot case. The yellow dot should be much more resistant. If they are about the same, it may be that you got a yellow dot case that didn't get marked. Or if the yellow dot is LESS resistant, they may have just dotted the wrong case. Try using it for regular sewing.

Let's assume that the problem is all in the bobbin tension. You can fix that yourself. Here's how:
1. Sew about 3" on scrap using straight stitch #1.
2. If the bobbin is too tight you'll see little loops on the bottom and the bobbin thread on the bottom will be perfectly straight and easy to pull out. If it's too loose you'll see bobbin thread peeking through on top. Use different colors in the needle and bobbin to make it easier.
3. For bobbin too tight, turn the SLOTTED screw on the front of the case (It's at the 6 o'clock position when the case is in the machine) about 1/8 of a turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. If it's too loose, turn 1/8 turn CLOCKWISE.
4. Sew again and check. Repeat step 3 if needed. If nothing has changed after a couple of adjustments, do not keep tightening or loosening, as the problem is elsewhere and you won't fix it by endless tightening or loosening. You should see a change after the first adjustment.

While there are things that can cause problems that look like bad tension, you wouldn't see those on a new machine. There are only two components to the tension - needle and bobbin. After these tests you should know which one has the problem. Hopefully it's as simple as mis-marked bobbin cases and you won't need a dealer trip.