Re: embroidery placement and hoop question

gbmko

thank you to all who responded with tips and info! I got real good at moving the design around, and actually came very close to centering it where I needed...don't know how I missed the icon that moves the needle! I'll give that a try. I'll try to remember to post a picture of how much better the 12000 did on the design than my 165. the little bit that the design was off was I'm sure due to the fact that I didn't hoop it very tightly.

So, I gather, you do hoop AND use the clips? Has anyone actually done a queen size quilt yet using the large hoop? As the hoop can move all the way to the inside of the arm, my thought is that the bulk of the quilt under the arm would interfere with the hoop movement..does it work to just hold it up?

Any definitive word on whether there will be an acuquilt hoop? I don't have one, but in the pictures it looks deeper, better able to manage the bulk. I'd still prefer to avoid having to use any stabilizer if at all possible. Much thanks for all the sharing of ideas!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "gbmko" <gbmko@...> wrote:

On the magnetic hoops, do you use the inner hoop and the clips? Or with a quilt, can you just use the clips? I tried hooping my queen size quilt today in the center, but used the smaller hoop with out the magnets, as I had half the quilt rolled up under the arm, so needed the room without having to worry about the hoop not having room to move. The quilt kept popping out of the hoop, so I kind of struggled getting it to the embroidery machine. The acufil quilting hoops are deeper, aren't they? But once I did, the embroidery unit itself did a much better job of quilting the design than my Bernina 165, so it is able to handle the quilt without the design dragging out of place. If I could have hooped it better, or more tightly, it would have been perfect. Any tips? (don't want the cost of using sticky stabilizer, as really, no stabilizer is needed)

Also, as I am embroidering on pieced sections, and need the needle at the center of the design to come down exactly at the intersection of 4 triangles, I couldn't figure out how to check this, as the embroidery unit doesn't move when I move the design on the screen to where I think the center should be. I couldn't find in the book how to check on the precise placement I needed. I tried just guessing by the number of squares on the hoop grid and on the screen, but that is not near precise enough. I'm used to moving my needle to exactly where I want the center of the design to be...so how do I do this? thanks!