Re: New owner janome 12000 Thread

Pinguin

Hello Robin,
what is the problem with the thread, is it the quality or just that it doesn't have colour numbers?

I recommend to start with designs that have not so many colour changes. Good digitizers don't use lots of colours. By changing the direction of the stitches and therefore the way the stitches reflect the light, they can make colour variations as well.

Then have a look at the name of the colours. And think of what you know about the design. If you do a flower, you know the stem and leaves have to be green. And the flower can be yellow, pink etc. Then look at the value of the colours, is it a light, a medium or a dark. That should help with selecting the colours. And finally, all the colours you are planning to use, have to look good together.
That way you don't have to be a slave of colournumbers.

Just be brave and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Gerda

Op 05-05-13 17:21, rsh724 schreef:

Hi Kathy,

I'm hoping you can learn a bit from my mistakes.

My first (and only at this point) embroidery machine is my Janome 11000SE, which is a very easy machine to use. (I haven't committed to the 12000 yet, but hope to soon.)

Anyway, my mistake was buying about 60 spools of no-name thread on eBay before I bought the machine, I was so excited to get started embroidering. But I didn't know which colors to pick, they don't have numbers that I can use to figure out the colors with the embroidery machine, and now I don't want to waste all that money that I spent, so I haven't bought much more thread. As a consequence, I rarely embroider because I don't have the right threads.

If I had it to do over again, I would have figured out which threads worked well on my machine, either through this group or by buying one or two of a brand first, and seeing how well it stitches out. (I suspect the 12000, like the 11000SE, will take any brand of thread without complaint, but I'm sure others on this group will let you know.)

I also would have made sure that the brand(s) I bought could be matched to the suggested colors on the machine. When I see a design I like with 15-20 thread changes I get overwhelmed with having to match the colors on my own.

Right now what I'm thinking of buying thread for each design I buy, as a way to build up a new supply of thread without breaking the bank at one time.

Finally, I would buy polyester instead of rayon.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Robin