Re: Converting color photos into color embroidery with MBX

Carol Carlgren

Thanks Jim!

Hubby will have a look at the DVD. I wasn't aware of the DVD until tonight. I had not even touched the software, that's hubby's department! We are looking at possibly doing a small embroidery business on the side and we were hoping to offer the photograph-to-embroidery service.

Kudos to you for doing Mozart! I would love to have musical talent!

Will keep plugging away. Although it's time to use the machine as a sewing machine now and do a quilt! :)

I need to retire! :)

Thanks again!
Carol

Digitizer MBX is a remarkably powerful piece of software, especially for the price. However it is not particularly adept at converting a photograph containing millions of separate color dots into embroidery with at most 78 colors. To achieve what you want, you will need to learn to do your own digitizing. If you haven't gone through Trevor's DVD that came with your software, do so now. You might also want to visit his website for more instruction:
http://www.sunsetstitches.com

Don't be discouraged! You must give yourself time to learn and practice. Nearly 30 years ago I decided to take piano lessons, something I never was able to do as a child. Once I semi-mastered the C Major scale, I was ready to attempt a sonata by Mozart euphemistically titled (in German) "For Beginners". I soon learned why it is said that Mozart is "too simple for children and too difficult for adults." With MANY hours of practice I was finally able to play an almost passable version of the second movement, but not the first. As I often have done, I tried to skip the learning process. Don't do that! Take your time and enjoy the journey. Digitizing is a lot of fun, and once you have had some successes you'll likely find it as addictive as the rest of us!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "carolcarlgren" <abhelix@> wrote:

Hi Everyone!

So glad I was pointed in the direction of this forum!

I'm a brand new owner of a MC12000 and what little I have used it for--primarily embroidering built in designs with minor color changes as I didn't have all the colors that were suggested--but LOVING every minute of it! And I am sure we made the salesman's year when we bought it and the MBX software and other stuff as well!

My question is can the MBX software convert color photos to color embroidery? That is the primary reason we spent the money on the software was to have the ability to embroider pictures of our 5 Dachshunds!

Hubby has just started playing with the software and he did a project of his ham radio, but it converted the picture to grey scale and he wanted color, so he spent about 30 hours redrawing it only to find out that it only embroidered 3 colors even when the program showed 6 colors. I would hate to think that we wasted $1000 on the software that won't do what we want it to do!

Any suggestions would be helpful! Hubby is going to play with it more this weekend.

Thanks!
Carol