Re: Nests

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The fact that it sometimes stitches perfectly is an important clue. There are a couple of things that could cause this. First is stabilizer. Using one that is wrong for the fabric can lead to all sorts of stitch problems, including nesting. New embroiderers often use lightweight tear away for all projects, because it's inexpensive and easily removed. It also can be literally torn apart by stitching, causing problems. Try using a cut away, at least until you have learned what goes with what. Also make sure you are getting both fabric and stabilizer in the hoop. While it should not be "drum" tight, it also should not have a great deal of "flutter".

Also be advised that needle size matters. On designs with lots of dense or short stitches, a size 14 needle can lead to stitches that have both ends in the same hole, pulling out. This will cause nesting, among other things. If you are currently using purchased designs to learn your machine, stop. Use the built-in designs until you have arrived at perfect stitching, then move to the commercial ones. All designers are not created equal, and you'll learn that some are a lot better than others. Many a tear has been shed over a design that was faulty, leaving the purchaser to wrongly blame herself or her machine for the trouble.

Keep trying, and you'll get it. We're all more than willing to help, but when posting a problem do remember that we can't see it. Be VERY descriptive and include important things like the size and type of needle used, brand and weight of thread, source of the design, type of fabric, type of stabilizer and any other fact you might think of. The more you tell us, the better the answers you will get!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Alice Cromer" <acromer@...> wrote:

Thanks for the responses to my post about thread nests. I stitched out a
sample this afternoon. The thread was in the take up lever- yes all the way
in. I opened the door and looked. I still got intermittent thread nests.

I am winding my own bobbins with Janome bobbin thread. These are the
bobbins and thread that came with the machine. I also tried Bottom Line in
the bobbin. I am using the embroidery bobbin case with the yellow dot. It
and the bobbin seem to be correctly in place.

I also use my 12000 for sewing and never have a problem. In fact, I
absolutely LOVE it. I am an experienced quilter and machine embroiderer. I
just can't figure out what's going on here. The machine will stitch
perfectly then start "nesting" when you least expect it.

Thanks for your help. I'm not giving up until I get this figured out.

Alice in Florida