Re: quilting with the embroidery unit

Sherry Martin

I haven't tried yet, but I do know that the hoops that come with the machine seem a little more flimsy than the acufil hoops that I had with my 11000. My opinion is that it would have a really hard time with large quilts.

However, I used to have a Husqvarna Designer I and I used to use the sticky stabilizer and then just press the quilt down on it without hooping it. It worked most of the time. I think it would especially work if you did the basting stitch around the design first.

I was told they are coming out with acufil hoops next year.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "gbmko" <gbmko@...> wrote:

I like to use my embroidery unit to quilt my quilts by digitizing simple outlines. But when I get to the middle of a queen size quilt, the weight of the quilt "drags" the design so it doesn't line up at the end, even though I support it all around as best I can. (I have a Bernina 165 for embroidery, very slow!)So, my question is, has anyone tried the 12000 yet for quilting a queen size? Did you have to use the smaller hoop to allow for the bulk of the quilt rolled up under the arm? How did it do with design alignment? It sounds like the new design of the embroidery unit is very stable, and I was just wondering if it prevents the quilt drag I'm experiencing at present. Thanks for any tips and info! Barb