Re: Magnets

Carole O'Mara

There is a video of Diane’s DIY Magnetic Hoop.  Search for it on youtube.com.  It makes quilting with your embroidery machine so easy.
Carole

On Oct 21, 2021, at 8:24 AM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

I always thought the magnetic clips that came with the larger, longer sided hoops, like the GR are more to hold the inner and outer hoops together tighter to prevent slippage of thinner materials, stabilizer, etc. or the inner hoop from coming out when taking the hoop off to trim an appliqué or in-the-hoop project.  They really aren’t intended for quilted thicknesses like the, quilting specific hoops.

Pixey
On Oct 20, 2021, at 7:50 PM, Helen Aarness via groups.io <h.aarness@...> wrote:

Thank you! I found those magnetic clips that were provided to be totally frustrating! I ordered these magnets and hope they work better.
On Oct 20, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

I like to quilt placemats on my 15000 using my GR hoop or on my 500e using my RE28b hoop because the rectangular size lets me do it in fewer hoopings than trying to do it with the square ASQ quilting hoops.  But because of the thickness, hooping the placemat doesn’t work that well.

I used to just float the placemat on the hoop securing it with painters tape on the edges but recently found a new magnetic product at my quilt store that works really great to hold it in place using the metal strips on the sides of the hoops.    They are SewTites HD Magnetic Sewing Pins.  I also found them available from Amazon and the dealer’s site sewtites.com   No affiliation, just found them to be useful.

And for those who wonder, I do use the inner hoop to maintain rigidity.  I just don’t hoop anything between them.

Pixey