Re: Oiling the MC500E

Kathy Strabel

Pixey---Thanks for the suggestion for the magnetized screwdriver, which would have saved me a few brain cells in his process. I actually have a magnetized Phillips head screwdriver, but the shaft was too large to fit into the hole. My other Phillips head driver was too short to reach that screw!!  So, I ended up having to use my non-magnetized, very skinny shaft driver, which took a lot of patience and many tries to insert it in straight and engage the screw. But I was determined!!  The plastic piece (the thread cutter cover) actually has a guide molded into the inside of the piece that acts as a "target" to guide the driver to its destination, but you have to be able to locate and see that guide, which is two small ridges, or "fins" that guide the tip of the driver towards the location of the screw. ALso,, obviously, your driver has to be long enough. I will definitely invest in the longer, slightly "fatter" driver and reserve it for my exclusive use in my sewing room.   As for hoping for improvements in the upcoming model, it looks like we will have a long wait. Apparently, Janome is not introducing new models at this time due to difficulty in obtaining the required electronic chips from China for making the machines. I wonder if other machine manufacturers will announce similar news?   If I had my wish, my MC500e model would have automatic raising and lowering of the foot, and the needle threader button/handle would swing up and out of the way, or be located better.   I'm just sayin'......
Happy stitching----and thank you to all who have offered suggestions and advice.
Kathy Strabel    Camas WA

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 12:45 PM Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One other suggestion is to invest in a screw driver with a magnetized tip.  Like this one…

Thanks for the warning about your dealer replacing the screw after service.

I was really hoping for a new release of the 500/550 design that would do away with this oiling and add wi-fi capability.

Pixey

On Sep 11, 2021, at 12:38 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Jim--I am happy to say "Mission Accomplished" I FINALLY got that pesky screw out. It takes patience, which I was running out of yesterday. Also, I found that if you hold a light source BEHIND the area where the screw is located, with the needle plate off and peering into the dark hole in just the right position---you can see where the screw is located. But of course you won't be able to see it as the screwdriver goes in. Still, this gets you closer to the target with the additional light.    And, of course, this little screw dropped inside the machine as I was extracting it. I was able to retrieve it with a small magnet on a telescoping handle.

The Janome designers/engineers really need to re-think this item!!!
Happy stitching!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

--
Have a good one!