Re: Janome M7 Tension Stuck in Auto

Lyn Quine

If your top thread is showing or nesting underneath, it’s usually a top thread problem. Could be fluff in the tension discs or the take up lever isn’t threaded correctly. Clean the upper thread path, particularly through the discs. Take the top thread off and rethread. If you are threading manually, make sure the foot is up until you get to the needle then put the foot down. If using the threader, then just follow the instructions in the manual. One way to test, whichever way you thread, once it’s threaded and the machine is ready to sew, put the foot down, don’t put top thread under the foot, hold it out to one side and pull slightly, if it feeds easily then the discs aren’t closed properly, if you feel tension on the thread then they are closed, lift the foot and the thread hold flow easily when pulled.

On 27 Jul 2021, at 16:05, Emerentia <dalinvsme@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cheryl. What I am trying to do is see less of the top thread on wrong side of fabric while using different colors of thread in bobbin and spool. The stitch wasn’t awful but I felt if I could tweak it just a bit it would look better since the wrong side of project will be showing. That’s how I ended up doing all the samples and surprised to see how the stitch didn’t appear to change. After taking pics front and back with my phone of my samples I and others saw no change either. Usually such severe changes in tension settings really show up as loops or puckers. I know the tension discs are engaged because when changing tension to 0 I can pull the thread freely through the needle with the foot down. I too believed I must have misthreaded. Also the bobbin side of the samples set with zero tension are very rough to the touch. Surprisingly though the stitches do not pull out easily. So I figured it must be my technique.

I saw a video of the M7 taken at a sales convention and was amazed when the demonstrator cut up a bunch of thread and tossed it over the bobbin then replaced the bobbin cover and began to sew. That machine took all those bits of stray thread and spit it out into the first stitch or two and kept going like nothing happened. Amazing machine and I’m having lots of fun playing with it, sometimes forgetting I have a project waiting to sew. Sew much to discover.

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Having this resource of others sewists is invaluable! I am taking my samples to the dealer to play with the display M7 and collect more knowledge. -Emerentia

On Jul 26, 2021, at 12:59 PM, Cheryl Paul <capaul@sasktel.net> wrote:

Hi Emerentia,

I have a Continental M7 and I’m not sure what you are trying to do. The thread tension should change automatically when you click the up (+) or down (-) arrows on the screen for the tension. If nothing changes, try re-threading the machine both the top thread and the bobbin, checking to make absolutely sure that you are threading it correctly. I know you are an experienced sewist but we all sometimes just miss something in doing a very familiar task like threading our sewing machine. Listen for the click of the thread as it goes through the “take-up lever” as this is a very common thing that happens to us all. at one time or another. The M7 does not have that nice little door that swings open to check this, so telling you this because I have missed it a time or two and I’ve had the machine quite a while.

Also as there are little buttons to engage the “acuflex” function. These are important as you need them when using the acuflex feet, so that thing feed evenly. If you are just doing regular sewing with the regular feet this function shouldn’t be turned on - you will know as the machine will ask you if the “proper. I’m just trying to cover some things that might be an issue, especially if you didn’t get a good lesson when you purchased your machine. Lots of things didn’t happen during the worst part of the pandemic and even now that things seem better, they aren’t necessarily happening as one might expect - like “in person” lessons and classes in stores.

There is a Facebook Group that is dedicated to the Continental M7 Machine. This machine does so much that it might be to your benefit to join this group. Personally I find Facebook very confusing, but I do belong to a few groups and have started going on this platform just about every day - frustrating as I find it.

Cheryl - Saskatoon