Janome M7 Tension Stuck in Auto

Emerentia

I am a new Janome M7 owner but not new to Janome. My previous machine was the MC8000 and before that a Kenmore. After 30yrs of faithful service my 8000’s screen went dark and I could only see it by holding a light to it. I kept using it that way until this spring when I went to look to see if anything had changed in machines since 1991.

Just recently I have found need to change upper thread tension settings from the automatic setting but am unable. It does not matter a lick if I set from Auto to 0 or as high as 10, my stitches do not change. It doesn’t matter either if I change in Machine Settings or an individual stitch setting.

How do I really adjust thread tension? Thank you for reading.
Emerentia