Re: G5

Pixey

I actually found that even though the instructions said it would, our internet router was not smart enough to recognize which devices needed to connect using the 2.4 MHz signal and it kept dropping some devices.  We had to get tech support to set up 2 distinct wi-fi networks, named Pixey 2.4MHz and Pixey 5GHz, on our router so we could explicitly attach the less sophisticated devices to a dedicated lower signal.  Fortunately, the devices will still “talk” across the networks.  So I can send from my 5GHz connected iPad to my 2.4 MHz connected machines.

In addition to my sewing machines, my Kindle Paperwhite e-book readers and my Lennox digital thermostat are much more stable using the 2.4 MHz signal.

Pixey

On Jul 14, 2021, at 3:04 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Wireless internet via 5G has nothing to do with the WiFi used by Janome machines. It only changes how the Internet arrives in your house, not how devices connect. I've signed up for 5G Home Internet with T-Mobile, but won't have the equipment for a few weeks. It should be noted that routers currently sold support multiple frequencies of WiFi. Machines use the original 2.4MHz signal, which is standard on all devices. There is also a 5GHz signal on most newer devices. This 5 Gigahertz signal is NOT the 5G that is the latest fad. That 5G is a wireless signal from the mobile phone companies, and is used only to connect your home to the Internet. I expect the equipment will also support the older 2.4 signal in the home, as well as the faster 5 Gigahertz signal, but I won't know until I get it. The older 2.4 Megahertz signal travels farther than the 5 Gigahertz, but is slower. It's generally best to use the 5GHz signal if you can, which is what we use for everything except the machine.