Re: Updating to Windows 10

Jim Stutsman

You'll have to reinstall your machine software after updating to 10. You'll need the original CDs to do this. Here's what I would suggest:
  1. Make a full backup of EVERYTHING to an external disk drive. If you don't have one, you can get a USB drive for around $100. If your computer does not have USB 3 (which is likely if it came with Windows 7 or earlier) you'll want to do this overnight. USB 2 is slow. If you don't have backup software, I recommend this.
  2. Once you have upgraded, open the Windows Update manager and get any updates that you don't have. Depending on how old your Windows 10 installer is, there will be a lot. Patches for Windows vulnerabilities come out every Tuesday. This could take a while, have something to read or a TV to watch while you wait.
  3. Now you can install your Janome software. Since the CD version is old, you'll need to download and install updates. For Horizon Suite get this. Customizer 11000 needs this.
At this point you should be ready to go. However, unless Janome had a change of heart, the 11000 will no longer connect to your computer via USB cable. The driver needed for that only works on 32 bit Windows, and they did not (that I know of) update it for 64 bit. You will still be able to move designs via USB Flash Drive though. Depending on the age and capabilities of your computer, it may be slow. Increasing RAM and replacing the hard drive with SSD may help, but the cost to do that may approach the cost of a new computer. So before you start you may want to look at that. Having 8GB or less of RAM could be a problem, and a hard drive that is 3 or more years old is just about at end of life anyway. Of course you may be planning on a new computer as a means of updating. I recommend 16GB or more of RAM. The "hard drive" should be SSD (Solid State Drive). This adds a bit to the price, but is worth it for the speed. SSD lasts longer than a spinning "platter" hard drive, but they eventually wear out. Each memory cell has a maximum number of times it can be written before it quits working. This wear is spread out over the entire drive, so buying more storage than you need will also extend the life of the drive. <Begin cynicism> Of course like everything else that is sold today, computers have become disposable, so there's no advantage in buying the top of the line. The tech continues to evolve, and at some point our grandchildren will be forced to contend with gigantic mounds of e-waste from all the old, dead computers. <End cynicism>