Re: Needle question

Pixey

Actually the serger I just sold (Janome 1100D) and my CoverPro use ELx705 needles.  So does my mom’s Janome 1200D.  I don’t think the ELx705 needles are interchangeable with regular sewing needles on these sergers.  The back of the needle is very different from a regular sewing needle.  The ELx705 has a longer and slightly different shaped indented area above the eye, as well as being a little flatter with a groove that runs all the way down the back.  I thing this is to accommodate the chaining finger.

You MIGHT be able to use a standard needle if all you were doing was basic 2,3,4 thread safety overlock serging  but I think if your machine is designed to also do flat lock, chain stitching, or cover lock stitches, you risk the back of the needle colliding with other moving parts.

Schmetz makes an ELx705 that is generally not that hard to find at sewing chain stores.  Ironically, the sergers requiring these needles were the only Janome machines I have ever had that actually came with Schmetz needles and did not appear to be optimized to Organ needles.

Pixey

On Jun 12, 2021, at 6:58 AM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

 Thank you Jim I’ll have a look at that, ELX705 needles aren’t as easy to find as my usual needles.  It’s Amazon or the odd quilt shops here in the UK.

On 12 Jun 2021, at 12:33, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

We were BabyLock dealers very early in our dealership, and only for a couple of years. At that time the needles used by BL were very different from standard machine needles. I remember that vividly, because in servicing a Memory Craft 8000 I accidentally put in a BL serger needle. I spent quite some time trying to adjust what appeared to be a very out-of-spec needle bar height, before realizing my error. I don't know anything about EXL705 needles, but if the length of the needle, position of the eye, and flat appears the same they might work. If the diameter of the needle is different it might be hard to get it the needle clamp. If you want to try a household needle, just turn the hand wheel through several cycles, slowly, to make sure the loopers don't hit the needle. If everything is clear it should be OK.